Google Chrome bypass ad blocker extentions for YouTube. Adds a bit of revenge too.

GoodBytes

I run firefox on an i5-2500 at home and an i5-4440 on my work computer, runs like a charm. Only performance issues I run into are certain very heavy pages freezing the interface for a few seconds while they load (e.g. my rutorrent webui), but that's solved with e10s in the developer channel.

If you're seeing it run as slowly as on a Pentium III, you've got some serious issues on your end...or you're just being hyperbolic.

Webpages go from loading instantly on a rig with far lower performance in every single way to taking a few seconds. Firefox has gone downhill, just the way IE has slowed down since IE6.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't even have ABP turned on for YT and LTT. So I guess I'm all good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Webpages go from loading instantly on a rig with far lower performance in every single way to taking a few seconds. Firefox has gone downhill, just the way IE has slowed down since IE6.

You're being incredibly vague and your claims make no sense. I don't believe for a second that you have pages loading slower than on a pentium 3, or even anywhere near as slowly for that matter.

You're being incredibly vague and your claims make no sense. I don't believe for a second that you have pages loading slower than on a pentium 3, or even anywhere near as slowly for that matter.

How can I be vague when I say that Firefox 4 on 2x Pentium III-which are slower than a Celeron M380-is faster than the latest versions of Firefox on an i5 4440?

PMSL

I have to wonder how precisely they're applying this behavior in Chrome. I keep youtube.com whitelisted, I sure hope they don't yank my Skip button because they detect I simply have ABP installed.

Is this apart of the infuriating run chrome app on windows thing? I disabled that about 30 seconds after realising it exists.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I know google and youtube use targeted advertising, if these ads were shorter and we saw less of the same ad every time, people won't even bother using adblock.

For example (I don't use adblock) I click to watch a 15 second video, I get a 30 second non-skippable ad that i've seen everyday! It's stuff like this which makes me really frustrated and makes people get adblock. Youtube's algorithm of displaying the ideal amount of ads to not annoy the user isn't very good.

Sadly not everyone is like that, some people just hate the concept of having to watch ads.

Version 4 was running faster on my Pentium III (2 of them BTW-gotta love dual socket motherboards) that the latest versions on my i5 4440.

apparently the core2duo was essentially two Pentium 3 processors? Can someone explain this further for me?

I blocked ads on YouTube because they were getting too annoying and distracting, and they strike back by forcing it on me and making it even worse?

Good move, Google. Another reason to hate you even more.

Why not make your adverts less annoying instead of forcing it on people?

I'm going to stick to Firefox (and probably Edge once it catches up).

I've always found it somewhat strange that the chrome app store even allows adblockers. It's at total odds with the Google business model.

apparently the core2duo was essentially two Pentium 3 processors? Can someone explain this further for me?

The core 2 architecture was based on the pentium 3 architecture, but it's very far removed from being two pentium 3 processors.

I've always found it somewhat strange that the chrome app store even allows adblockers. It's at total odds with the Google business model.

The media backlash for removing such a popular addon from the store would probably be too much for google's liking.

The core 2 architecture was based on the pentium 3 architecture, but it's very far removed from being two pentium 3 processors.

The media backlash for removing such a popular addon from the store would probably be too much for google's liking.

It was the Core Duo that were heavily based on Pentium III. The Core 2 architecture was all new.

PMSL

I honestly don't mind. Just means five seconds and pays the content producer

- snip-

Haha, Chromium isn't affected because the Linux community would freak out.

I mean, when there was ONE proprietary line of code, the Chromium fan base of Linux dropped by about 24%

Couple seconds?

I have had a YouTube ad that was suppose to last for 2.4 hours.

And it was a forced ad, so you couldn't just reload the page.

I don't mind the short ads that allow you to skip them myself, but the problem is youtube has started introducing some longer ads, as well as some ads that don't let you skip them :/

really annoying when you have to watch an ad that's longer than the video itself

are ads really that bad?  I honestly don't mind them, 30 seconds of my life isn't going to kill me.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Haven't blocked an ad in 3 years or so, I just think it's the right way to go

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The Core 2 Duo is descended from the Pentium III, but most of the relevant stuff towards the PIII was removed during the Core-Core 2 transition. The relationship between the two is pretty complicated tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started getting ads this night.  Firefox with Ghostery.  No unskippable videos so far, just the occasional "skip in 5 seconds" vid and a banner ad during the main video. 

For some reason the banner ads are in Dutch (which would be correct seeing as I live in a Dutch-speaking area) and the vids in German, so they're obviously tweaking stuff still.

Time to kick it up a notch.  I haven't had a single bit (no pun intended) of malware since I started blocking ads and trackers, and I don't plan on letting a bunch of greedy suits ruin it now.

I've started getting ads this night.  Firefox with Ghostery.  No unskippable videos so far, just the occasional "skip in 5 seconds" vid and a banner ad during the main video.  For some reason the bottom ads are in Dutch and the vids in German, so they're obviously tweaking stuff still.

Time to kick it up a notch.  I haven't had a single bit (no pun intended) of malware since I started blocking ads and trackers, and I don't plan on letting a bunch of greedy suits ruin it now.

time to program my own ad blocking software

*leans back in badass chair*

*then remembers that everything he learned in coding he forgot 3 years ago, along with all of his education*

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

The Core 2 Duo is descended from the Pentium III, but most of the relevant stuff towards the PIII was removed during the Core-Core 2 transition. The relationship between the two is pretty complicated tbh.

Core Duo were descendent of Pentium III, Core 2 was a whole new architecture.

PMSL