Pc won t boot after windows 10 update!

itachi737
Go to solution Solved by itachi737,

(Long story)

I tried to repair it but it said that the drive was locked. Then I tried it your way and I got a messge tgat said that it failed. I was decided to clean install it,but then I saw that tgere actually was an existing recovery partition so I went to boot manager to try to find it. I couldn't see it over therr, but I managed to find an option called boot manager. It booted by clicing on it. Then I restarted my pc and set my bios to default. Now it works again.

(Short Story) I set my bios to default and it works. (Yea I know I should have done that before but I m a total noob!

Thank you very much for your help!

Hello,

I upgraded my windows 8.1 to 10. After that my ssd was almost full due to a folder named windows.old. I looked it up online and on Microsoft's site it said that I can safely delete it since it is a copy of my old windows version and that it will only be useful if I want to revert back to 8.1. After that I restarted my pc and now it won't boot into Windows. My pc was Oem and I don't have the windows 8.1 key. I also don't have a backup. Do I have to buy a new windows????? Any help would be much appreciated.

windows 8/.1 keys are injected in the bios. You can install 8.1 from a disc or USB, It won't ask for a key.
Otherwise you can get windows 10 install media and attempt to repair that install from there.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Thank you very much for your answer. If i try to repair it will it still delete all my data?

not if it successfully repairs. If you wipe it and put 8.1 back on it then yes it will wipe it. 
What exactly is happening when you try to boot?

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

It asks me to select the boot device in the bios. I select my ssd than it says something like please insert a device to boot from. I am actually downloading windows 10 on an usb. Once its done i ll try to repair it. If it doesn't i ll clean install it. I ll keep you posted on my procress once windows is ready.

sounds like your boot partition didn't get cloned.
You should be able to fix it with this post.

Although, If it did not clone the partition you will need to create one as well. It may not be possible to put it at the start of the drive. You may end up having to re-install.

Edit: on second though, instead of "bootrec /fixboot" you will probably need "bootrec /rebuildbcd"

Spoiler

(Long story)

I tried to repair it but it said that the drive was locked. Then I tried it your way and I got a messge tgat said that it failed. I was decided to clean install it,but then I saw that tgere actually was an existing recovery partition so I went to boot manager to try to find it. I couldn't see it over therr, but I managed to find an option called boot manager. It booted by clicing on it. Then I restarted my pc and set my bios to default. Now it works again.

(Short Story) I set my bios to default and it works. (Yea I know I should have done that before but I m a total noob!

Thank you very much for your help!