August 10th Overkill Buyer's Guide Where to Buy Components

LinusTech

All that work on the build, and doing a video....no benches?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

WOW. I love when seeing crazy expensive systems for no reason other than they can.

I love the screws and l brackets to mount the radiator in the middle! Then to add an optical drive? I couldn't believe when one was in the 2013 dream machine by maximum pc, and you have one too? The 900d doesn't look good with an optical drive since it makes that bay not flat with the rest (in my opinion).

I'm going to assume Intel chose the SSD's as well? I have a feeling if you chose them you would have picked Samsung 840 pro and probably bigger. But that's just a guess.

Godddd that was a beautiful video... 
What dissapointed me was did they power on the unit in the end? Cause you can notice one of the fan isn't spinning : (

I think it was a huge waste getting all those nice noctua pwm fans and not utilizing them properly.

1) Raiding SSD is only good if you want good numbers in benchmarks, instead you should buy as big SSD as possible (your budget)

2) LGA 2011 is more overkill

3) 3-way SLI GTX Titan is more overkill. (4-Way is only for benchmarking)

Up until the red hoses was put into the case (and that awkwardly positioned middle radiator) the Noctua fans actually looked pretty awesome in that build. If the wires had been in some sand grey / brown sleeving and some other color for the hoses, then it would have looked amazing :) Not that it was terrible as it is :P

Yes very sexy.... just like your profile pict.. very 'SEXY".

I take it as a compliment XD

Get the pun in my name?

I recently did an overkill style build like this. I love the 900D. The only difference is I slowly built up my components through upgrades over time, so I didn't have to shell everything out all at once. 900D was a dream to build with.

DSC_0325.jpg
DSC_0327.jpg
DSC_0331.jpg
DSC_0332.jpg
DSC_0333.jpg
DSC_0338.jpg
DSC_0339.jpg
DSC_0340.jpg
DSC_0334.jpg

I will take one of each!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Why don't people use PCIe SSD's when they do these overkill systems? 

Also can someone give a bit more detail on why Xonar >> Soundblast Zxr?

Finally were they forced to use Intel drives? Not hating but they certainly are not the *TOP* performers they once were IIRC.

How long before you will be able to buy one of these for $1k from those douches on indiegogo?

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

In the video Linus mentions imaging the SSDs onto the WD Reds every night...wonder what program he's using for that?  Acronis?

1150 socket is far from overkill setup... Linus come on...

With 2 Titans, at least go with a 2011 plateform

With all my respect, this is overkill : http://www.overclock.net/t/1312505/build-log-project-overkill-quad-geforce-titans

When considering what's overkill, I think people who use ready made components, doesn't have anything special in their rig. I give a high respect for guys, who really custom build their pc's. At the extreme case this means CNC-machined and/or laser cut parts, custom paintwork, etc. Anyone can buy ready made components and build their overkill rig. But not so many can really make their pc look like nothing else.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

Hi

I got 1 question and one remark. 

1st. Why did you use the Noctua fans and not the SP Corsair fans?

And I really have to admit that I have seen better cable managements and with the modular cables you could have done a better job ^^

In the video Linus mentions imaging the SSDs onto the WD Reds every night...wonder what program he's using for that?  Acronis?

I think you can do that with Windows backup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what pump did they use?

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

@LinusTech, you should also do a "cost effective" overkill build as well. Mushkin price to performance is way better than Corsair, especially with the Platinum kits! :P

Basically the same concept as this build, but different brands that have similar performance for a lower price. It'd be interesting to see how the two systems would perform against one another.

• 3 weeks later...

what pump

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.