Is my cpu dead?

OK so here is the deal. I have a dell inspiron 1501. A few years back(back when I was less computer illiterate) my little brother somehow got play-doh in/on the fan area, and it got really hot,and from then on it would not turn on,zip,nothing no lights,no post,no beep...just a black screen.Someone said I should replace the motherboard or cpu, I replaced the motherboard and it still will not turn on. So do U think its the cpu? Or could it be something else? This is the cpu that I have in right now...but it has thermal paste all over it,so much that it covers the silver part all the way to those little square transistor looking things that are all the way around the silver part.... (what is the official name for it?) Could that short out something?

I will try to get a pic of it up soon.

Its only about 30$ to get a new processor and paste but in my case thats a good bit.

Any help is very much appreciated:)[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3114[/ATTACH]

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Diode* would be the name of the silver part. uhm. You should try cleaning it really well (carefully) with dry q-tips. Only use a tiny amount of thermal paste with the diode and make sure you spread it out in a very thin layer. Which thermal paste are you using? Don't use IC Diamond or Arctic Silver for this project.

There is a good chance your chip is already dead.

Ye thats what I figured. Its not a big deal considering its been sitting in my closet for about 4 years but it would be nice to have a laptop...

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Yeah I've used AS5 on diodes before and I'm not suggesting you do the same because it is electrically conductive. Also don't use ICD7 because it has diamonds in it and that scratches glass (silicon is a form of glass). Get some MX-4 or other non-conductive paste.

Here is the cpu:

:O

There's still a chance it could work if you clean it up. AS5 does conduct electricity, so you really could of just effed it up badly.

You should of used half a grain of rice and spread it out. Like a verrry small amount.

:O

There's still a chance it could work if you clean it up. AS5 does conduct electricity, so you really could of just effed it up badly.

You should of used half a grain of rice and spread it out. Like a verrry small amount.

Ye somebody put at least 2 rice grains on this 1........

When you plug in the power adapter do you get any lights on the board?

Have you tried another known working power adapter?

You can also test with a multimeter if you are getting DC voltage to the board

Is your DC jack soldered to the board or does it have a pigtail?

Was the replacement board new? can you confirm that?

Typically for this type of scenario it is related to the input power somewhere or a board being faulty.

I have a few of these cpus if your in Edmonton you could have one.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

When you plug in the power adapter do you get any lights on the board?

Have you tried another known working power adapter?

You can also test with a multimeter if you are getting DC voltage to the board

Is your DC jack soldered to the board or does it have a pigtail?

Was the replacement board new? can you confirm that?

Typically for this type of scenario it is related to the input power somewhere or a board being faulty.

I have a few of these cpus if your in Edmonton you could have one.

There are no lights at all. No I have not tried another power adapter(will try to find one.)Ye I will try testing it a multimeter:) The dc jack is soldered. I do not know if the mobo was new,I did not buy it. Thanks for the offer but I just bought a new cpu it will be here in a couple days:)

5 bux says the cpu is not the problem!

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Its probably a PSU problem, and you may have just effed up your CPU with that massive amount of conductive thermal past. Get your hands on a PSU tester (they're cheap, and a good thing to have) and check it.

Its probably a PSU problem, and you may have just effed up your CPU with that massive amount of conductive thermal past. Get your hands on a PSU tester (they're cheap, and a good thing to have) and check it.
U mean the power adapter? Or the power thing on the mobo?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got all the parts and replaced the cpu. I powered on right away. But it dies after a while so I also think there is a problem with the power supply or power unit on the mobo. I have an extra ps cord I can try but it a friends has it so I will test that. But so far so good:)

Yep it worked! I put the cpu in and it powered right up!!!! I am installing xp right now! Yay!