Need Help For Buying First GPU

pcari

Hi linustechtips community. You guys helped me pick out all my parts for my rig. Currently I am gaming with no gpu (TF2). Could you guys help me choose which GPU to get. R9 280x, Gtx 960, or R9 380. 

Also, should I save money and go with 2GB versions???

I would pic the Gtx950...its brand new and its nice price/value

280X is best one out of them but you could also get a 4GB 380

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

No. Better go with gtx 960

I would pic the Gtx950...

...What? All these cards are more powerful.

Don't get the 960. The 280x and 380 performs circles around it. The 280x achieves more frames on average over the 380 but the 380 has newer architecture and is usually only a few frames behind. So I say get the 380 4gb. Don't get the 2gb.

Just because its new doesnt mean its better...

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Hi linustechtips community. You guys helped me pick out all my parts for my rig. Currently I am gaming with no gpu (TF2). Could you guys help me choose which GPU to get. R9 280x, Gtx 960, or R9 380. 

Also, should I save money and go with 2GB versions???

I would recommend a GTX 960. I have owned the GIGABYTE GTX 960 GV-N960G1 GAMING-4GD 4GB and it was an exceptional card for 1080p gaming! Honestly, you will want to try and get into a 4GB card and stay away from the 2GB variants. More textures and details are a good thing!

Introduced my wife to Skyrim. Haven’t had a sandwich in weeks.

I would recommend a GTX 960. I have owned the GIGABYTE GTX 960 GV-N960G1 GAMING-4GD 4GB and it was an exceptional card for 1080p gaming! Honestly, you will want to try and get into a 4GB card and stay away from the 2GB variants. More textures and details are a good thing!

Again, why the fuck get a card that gives you less value for your money? Get the 380 4GB or the 280X OP.

Again, why the fuck get a card that gives you less value for your money? Get the 380 4GB or the 280X OP.

380 vs. 280x. Which one is better

380 vs. 280x. Which one is better

If I had to choose between these two cards, I would choose the 280x. From various benchmarks on the web the 280x is still the best card when comparing it to the 380.

Introduced my wife to Skyrim. Haven’t had a sandwich in weeks.