DAN Cases - A4-SFX the smallest ITX gaming case in the world

dondan

Normally you mount a Mora on the case but this time you can mount the case on the Mora.B|

Yesterday I shiped this to Linus:

linus_780jckbl.jpg

I want this. And I want this with a side panel that I can see threw. Oh. My. God. 

TITLE IS INCORRECT

Mine is the smallest gaming case in the world xD

Not in production though. Excellent job, I've been following this for a couple of years actually.

Awesome. I'd a huge advocate for SFF and this case gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

16 hours ago, dondan said:

I add a GTX 1080 compatibility list in the first post.

When are we likely to see the first reviews posted? I know a German site did one a while back. Any youtubers getting their hands on one? 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

On 7.6.2016 at 7:21 PM, dondan said:

Yesterday I shiped this to Linus:

linus_780jckbl.jpg

Next week Linus will have it

On 2/6/2016 at 5:14 AM, ttam said:

I have a my air tools ready and a piece of plexiglass to replace that side panel.

Nice. Would you mind giving some mini reviews of both in a comparison? I'm looking at these 2 as well as Cryorigs Ola case. ITX ftw :D

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, dondan said:

Next week Linus will have it

hey its me, ur linus. adress changed to be mine now, pls send here thx.

@dondan Since this case is manufactured by Lian Li, is there a reason why you don't use their PCI riser cables?

pci38-main2.jpg

pci30-1-main.jpg

They are a bit nicer looking than the green PCB thing.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

From the point of signal quality the 3M and LianLi both works well. I don't use it, because the cables are to thick. Lian Li 3mm vs 3M 1,4mm. So there is not enough space behind the motherboard to use the LianLi ones, if you want to use a M.2 SSD or big CPU Cooler Backplate on the backside of the board. Also you can't root the LianLi cables on the GPU side because there is also not enough room if you want to use a backplate on the GPU.

1 hour ago, dondan said:

From the point of signal quality the 3M and LianLi both works well. I don't use it, because the cables are to thick. Lian Li 3mm vs 3M 1,4mm. So there is not enough space behind the motherboard to use the LianLi ones, if you want to use a M.2 SSD or big CPU Cooler Backplate on the backside of the board. Also you can't root the LianLi cables on the GPU side because there is also not enough room if you want to use a backplate on the GPU.

Will the case be prucahseable after the Kickstarter ends? 

I can't give you a 100% guarantee but this is the plan. For Europe I will have a reseller for future availability, but currently not for other regions.

Yes I'm eager to buy, but not be a first batch buyer. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Ok, this is amazing. I'm really interested. But that price :(

Perhaps once I'm done with my main build I'll put aside some money for an ITX build in this case. I want something that'll fit into my backpack.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

What I can whistle-blow, that the price in aftermarkt will be higher.

1 hour ago, dondan said:

Higher? Really? Why. That makes no sense. Generally mass production reduces cost and tool sets have already been built. 

Please se explain why the cost would increase? Is someone adding on their cut? 

Worrying news. 

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Davehaslanded said:

Higher? Really? Why. That makes no sense. Generally mass production reduces cost and tool sets have already been built. 

Please se explain why the cost would increase? Is someone adding on their cut? 

Worrying news. 

The retailers who would sell it would add to the price. But yeah, I know Lian Li is greedy, but damn.

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

The retailers who would sell it would add to the price. But yeah, I know Lian Li is greedy, but damn.

That still wouldn't account for an 'increase' in price. Not when costs elsewhere should be falling as I mentioned. I personally see that being a terrible business decision. One of the only criticisms I've seen of this case so far is the already high price. I know Lian-li have a tendency to price on the high side, but they usually use premium materials and glass. But there is not enough of the product to warrant it, especially at a higher price. 

Don't get me wrong @dondan, I love the case design, but you need to find a way to lower the price. I genuinely fear it's going to harm the product in the long term. Especially for an itx case, even one as groundbreaking as this. 

Edited by Davehaslanded
Added clarification
Spoiler

1 minute ago, Davehaslanded said:

That still wouldn't account for an 'increase' in price. Not when costs elsewhere should be falling as I mentioned. I personally see that being a terrible business decision. One of the only criticisms I've seen of this case so far is the already high price. I know Lian-li have a tendency to price on the high side, but they usually use premium materials and glass. But there is not enough of the product to warrant it, especially at a higher price. 

It most certainly would. Just because the production would fall 1-2$, retailers easily add 10-20% to the price, and that is on low profit stuff too. So 1$ production cost can easily be 30$ in retail, with all taxes, import, freight, commission, etc.

Aluminium isn't THAT expensive, so it's not the bulk of it that counts, rather design, manufacturing as in bending the things, assembling them, anodizing it black and so on.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

It most certainly would. Just because the production would fall 1-2$, retailers easily add 10-20% to the price, and that is on low profit stuff too. So 1$ production cost can easily be 30$ in retail, with all taxes, import, freight, commission, etc.

Aluminium isn't THAT expensive, so it's not the bulk of it that counts, rather design, manufacturing as in bending the things, assembling them, anodizing it black and so on.

It would appear the bulk of current cost is shipping fees between place of manufacture, Germany for QC and the customer. There needs to be cost saving somewhere. I live in the UK, therefore there shouldn't be a great deal of fees within the EU. The cost incurred would be from manufacturer to Germany. I realise that every company needs to make a profit, but there must be a rather large mark up here. 

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Davehaslanded said:

It would appear the bulk of current cost is shipping fees between place of manufacture, Germany for QC and the customer. There needs to be cost saving somewhere. I live in the UK, therefore there shouldn't be a great deal of fees within the EU. The cost incurred would be from manufacturer to Germany. I realise that every company needs to make a profit, but there must be a rather large mark up here. 

Wouldn't count on it. Especially since this case is made in such a low number. Again the point was a huge mark up when retailers sell it later on. The cheapest would be to buy one now, where you are a direct customer.

9 hours ago, dondan said:

This, in combination with your other note about no guaranteed availability after the kickstarter ends outside of Europe, made me re-pledge for this. I had pledged on day one, but withdrew my pledge after the kickstarter reached more than 1500 cases backed.

23 hours ago, Davehaslanded said:

Don't get me wrong @dondan, I love the case design, but you need to find a way to lower the price. I genuinely fear it's going to harm the product in the long term. Especially for an itx case, even one as groundbreaking as this. 

The price will be higher because the reseller will add his margin on it. Furthermore I will be not able to do an order with such a high quantity as now again. The price depends on how much cases and cables I will order from Lian Li and 3M. The first order will be 1500+ cases. But in future I have to order from my own money, so I will order in 300-500 unit steps. Normally products become better priced in future because the manufacture reduce his benefit, or the production could be improved and become cheaper, but my benefit is low and I don’t have a own production so there is now room for reducing the price

On 6/10/2016 at 11:14 PM, dondan said:

The price will be higher because the reseller will add his margin on it. Furthermore I will be not able to do an order with such a high quantity as now again. The price depends on how much cases and cables I will order from Lian Li and 3M. The first order will be 1500+ cases. But in future I have to order from my own money, so I will order in 300-500 unit steps. Normally products become better priced in future because the manufacture reduce his benefit, or the production could be improved and become cheaper, but my benefit is low and I don’t have a own production so there is now room for reducing the price

I fully understand and appreciate that, But i would really love to see this case go far and really set a standard in the industry. But a high price is going to hinder that. Was the current production plans really the cheapest? Seems like your paying an awful lot of money for shipping between building and QC. Have any case manufactures shown any interest at all in adopting the design full time? I understand Lian-Li and running your limited production, But are there no chance they could move into full production if it proves popular?

Spoiler