Airflow configuration for Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX?

Alright, so I'm going to do a build with the Evolv ITX case from Phanteks very soon.

One thing I've seen across several reviews and opinions from people who use this case is that airflow can be somewhat restrictive. Mostly in regards to how the front intake and top exhaust slits are very narrow. Out of the box this case comes with a single 200mm fan in the front, and that's it.

This is the hardware I'll be putting into it: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Staeni/saved/JDcLrH

Now, at first I will be building the computer with just the stock fan and nothing else just to see how it performs (I've ordered the components, but no fans yet). But it's likely that I'll add some fans possibly even replace the 200m fan with two 120/140mm fans.

The case can fit 5x 140mm fans, two in the front, two in the top, and one at the back exhaust. As I've mentioned the front intake and top exhausts are pretty narrow, so I'm most likely going with static pressure there. The rear exhaust is a honeycomb grille, and there'll be plenty of space between a fan there and the CPU cooler. So I'm thinking a regular airflow fan for the rear.

The only thing I'm slightly unsure about is the upper front intake fan (if I choose to replace the 200m fan). It would make sense with static pressure because of the tight intake, but then again there'll be nothing blocking airflow in front of it. Or just altogether in general if static pressure really is the best choice here.

One more thing, I would go with Corsair SP140's, but they're only available with LEDs and I don't want any lighting in the case, unless I can switch it off. Does anyone know if there's a way to easily disconnect the LEDs or in any way disable them? Otherwise I'll probably be getting Phanteks PH-F140SP fans, even though I'm not a fan of the white color on them. I kinda want this build to have an all black theme.

post-237381-0-25057300-1441407236_thumb.

post-237381-0-25057300-1441407236_thumb.

Turn the rear fan into an intake to get positive pressure going.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Interesting.. I rarely see anyone doing this, let alone mentioning it. But doesn't positive air pressure just decrease dust buildup, since negative makes air get sucked in through every tiny crack and opening rather than the actual grilles/vents? The intakes on the front and bottom of this case have dust filters, btw.

What do you think about that upper front intake fan, though?

Interesting.. I rarely see anyone doing this, let alone mentioning it. But doesn't positive air pressure just decrease dust buildup, since negative makes air get sucked in through every tiny crack and opening rather than the actual grilles/vents? The intakes on the front and bottom of this case have dust filters, btw.

The way I see it, the upper fan as an exhaust will still work with convection. But as far as I know positive pressure's main pro is less dust but negative pressure isn't that much better with temps anyway. So why not keep the dust out as long as you can?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

The way I see it, the upper fan as an exhaust will still work with convection. But as far as I know positive pressure's main pro is less dust but negative pressure isn't that much better with temps anyway. So why not keep the dust out as long as you can?

Yeah, I'll probably use the rear as an intake then.

I'm not sure if you understood my question; what I meant is whether this upper fan should be a static pressure or airflow fan, since the HDD cage (and really nothing else either) won't be right front of it.

http://i.imgur.com/FTaT1Lx.png

I say airflow fan if you don't have any drive cages in the way

• 10 months later...

Staeni, how did you end up configuring the fans in your case?

Another question, does the GPU get sufficient airflow with the PSU shroud so close?

On 9/4/2015 at 4:03 PM, Emkryan said:

On 9/4/2015 at 4:14 PM, Staeni said:

Positive or negative airflow doesn't increase or decrease dust build up on its own. The goal of positive airflow is to only have intakes through filters. You're inviting dust if you flip the rear fan to intake without a filter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.