deceptive reviews and shoddy advertisement practices being cracked down on in youtube re Machinima/xbox 1

nunya bus

I wonder how you would all feel if a government body shut LTT down because of this thread and the supposed breaches of Government legislation.
It's not out of the question especially if LTT gets a fine they are unable to pay.

Seriously think some of you would be happy if that happened. 

LOL this thread

Will be back with more popcorn to go with all these expert opinions and unfounded allegations.

I don't want LTT shutdown, but I also don't want to be watching advertorials.

Here is an example of the way to do something like a quick overclocking review with components from Anandtech, they don't disclose where they ought to but they do declare every component and where it came from: http://anandtech.com/show/9533/intel-i7-6700k-overclocking-4-8-ghz. What even Anandtech does wrong here is that they have an affliate link for each component to Amazon in their specification list and they don't tell you that. But they do declare the components in a nice big obvious list at the bottom of the page/review, this is required as well. This particular aspect isn't to do with sponsored videos, its more about your reviews and the thing you aren't reviewing such as the drives, case, PSU etc.

So that concludes my 2 concerns, a. of sponsored videos not properly marked as such and b.native advertising with product placement which aren't attributred to being provided, which is a form of sponsorship.

b. obviously concerns a lot more videos than a., but a. is obviously the more serious one in terms of fines from the ASC. I hope this and TotalBiscuit's video helps.

On a slight side note as something that come up when raising these two concerns I think having your personal rig and the machines that run your business filled with free kit is pretty dodgy, especially when it gets covered in your videos. It almost certainly isn't illegal but it certainly seems shady. I don't like that at all, it concerns me and it may concern the ASC on something more than just b.. I can't point you to the bit of the law where that is wrong but I think its an ethical breach.

I wonder how you would all feel if a government body shut LTT down because of this thread and the supposed breaches of Government legislation.

It's not out of the question especially if LTT gets a fine they are unable to pay.

Seriously think some of you would be happy if that happened. 

Problem is that Linus has done nothing that other major tech reviewers also do. He is probably just more successful with his viewship.

Yes I agree that there are some people who would now like to cause him problems

THis will be my last post. 

I want to make it 100% clear here. Linus is not getting what we are trying to say. 
he thinks its fine that he gets the stuff for free. AND IT IS, that is not my gripe here . But its what happens during/after this when the video is made that is the Issue. 
if Nvidia outfitted your entire office space with quadro and video cards in exchange for ads or a "casual video" be it informal or not. THIS IS OUR GRIPE. it's not being disclosed. 

Again the fact ppl send you stuff to review and keep is fine. BUT IT HAS TO BE SAID so we know. 
And as total B says. maybe even when you review Nvidia stuff. be extra hard on them. to show that you are being as unbiased as possible. 
Just something ! 

And to just end it here. I dont want Linus shut down. I like the video's But this kind of practice HAS TO STOP. 

I want to make it 100% clear here. Linus is not getting what we are trying to say. 

he thinks its fine that he gets the stuff for free. AND IT IS, that is not my gripe here . But its what happens during/after this when the video is made that is the Issue. 

if Nvidia outfitted your entire office space with quadro and video cards in exchange for ads or a "casual video" be it informal or not. THIS IS OUR GRIPE. it's not being disclosed. 

Again the fact ppl send you stuff to review and keep is fine. BUT IT HAS TO BE SAID so we know. 

And as total B says. maybe even when you review Nvidia stuff. be extra hard on them. to show that you are being as unbiased as possible. 

Just something ! 

What is your proof that Nvidia did send their titans for a casual video. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What is your proof that Nvidia did send their titans for a casual video. 

linus admitted to it earlier 

And jon you leave. douche. I mean seriously are you what 7 years old? 

First of all why all the rudeness in your reply. Second of all may you quote the part that proves that, please don't be a douche I just asked you for your proof no need to be aggressive.

Edit: Keep in mind that I want to you prove that Nvidia asked him for a Ad or sponsored video in exchange for these titans. 

Pascal laptops guide

And as total B says. maybe even when you review Nvidia stuff. be extra hard on them. to show that you are being as unbiased as possible

Just something ! 

And to just end it here. I dont want Linus shut down. I like the video's But this kind of practice HAS TO STOP. 

How is being extra hard on them being unbiased? You just said one thing and than recommended they should hold a level of scrutiny or prejudice which inherently means they are now biased. It's the same logic and basic comprehension skills you have used throughout this entire thread.

So was this like a new game + post comment than? see above quoted comment

Threads like this remind me why I spend less time outside the SC forum, this would've best been PMed to Linus.

We don't do fan reviews because we (and pretty much everyone else) lack the equipment to test them at all properly.

Corsair has one of the machines you need, and it takes up like 20sqft and costs 10s of thousands of dollars [emoji14]

Sorry phrased that wrong, its not an issue with you but an issue when buying as there is no standard.

And I 100% get that you can't test them properly but even if you did have the equipment I feel like its a lot of unnecessary figures (I knoe some people love that). Cooling for 5v, 7v, 12v and a comparing a fan to your fav noctuas I think it would be good enough (I'd love for you to try out the Pure Wings 2)

Even if it wasn't a review as such, more of an opinion piece it would be nice to see if Noctuas could hold there title and 99% sure you lot could set a standard :) . Just an idea anyway.

Anyway I like the vids, 100% got my faith in what your doing.

How is being extra hard on them being unbiased? You just said one thing and than recommended they should hold a level of scrutiny or prejudice which inherently means they are now biased. It's the same logic and basic comprehension skills you have used throughout this entire thread.

So was this like a new game + post comment than? see above quoted comment

He apparently couldn't handle not being a idiot for a second. Ask him for a proof and he calls you a 7 year old as a reply instead of pointing the exact proof.

Pascal laptops guide

First of all why all the rudeness in your reply. Second of all may you quote the part that proves that, please don't be a douche I just asked you for your proof no need to be aggressive.

Edit: Keep in mind that I want to you prove that Nvidia asked him for a Ad or sponsored video in exchange for these titans. 

I did answer you. 

LINUS ADMITTED HE HAS TO DO A VIDEO IN EXCHANGE FOR THE TITAN'S 

then I SAID 

and JON you leave. 

I did answer you. 

then I SAID 

and JON you leave. 

First of all I told you to quote that part for me. Second, my name is not jon. Third, that is not how you spell John. Lastly, get your finger off the caps lock.

Pascal laptops guide

I did answer you. 

then I SAID 

and JON you leave. 

New Game + comment #2

-snip-

So you are attacking me based on my nationality now. Wow. It's Bahraini's by the way. And it's not a few pages back by the way it's 10 pages.........

Pascal laptops guide

.... It's news to me that this wasn't already crystal clear. How do you think we get early access to this stuff??

TLDR: if I didn't say I paid for it, then assume I didn't. If I didn't say I'm sending it back, then assume I'm not. 

Yes, I and a many of LMG's followers understand that, but NOT everyone does.

This is just my suggestion, but perhaps in future videos, you should consider to make more clear, blunt and obvious disclosures, those that (IMO) would provide answers to these questions:

1. HOW you get the product: someone sends it over? You buy it yourself?

2. WHY you make a video about it: someone reaches out to you? You just think it is a cool product/thing?

3. ADDITIONAL PAYMENT/REWARDS: you receive any other payment for making the video? Or just the video alone is enough in the deal?

4. A disclaimer to emphasize that the above information are according to the law of.... so that you can avoid all the people who are annoyed because of such disclosure.

The important thing is that these information should be treated like the intro/outro of every videos, tthese need to be IN THE FACE OF THE VIEWERS, YES IN THE FACE so that they won't be able to miss it, and that there won't be any unnecessary assumptions. If they chose not to believe a sponsored video, then it's on them, not on LMG. 

My university lecturer once said that when we needed to write an explanation in the exam, we MUST treat and see our examiners like an idiot/ignorant fool who required very explicit and clear details, otherwise they WOULD assume that we hadn't properly answer the question.

yes it creates more work for the team, but you have already been making disclosures so why not take it a step further.

I sincerely hope that my post helps.

Keep up the good work Linus and the team!!!  :D

on page 4 he states 
"FYI the boost video was not an ad. We've wanted to make a video about the variability of GPU boost for quite some time and we utilized the 6 GPUs that NVIDIA gave us to upgrade our editing workstations (the arrangement is that there will be a video where we show our editors upgrading their workstations and putting the GPUs in them, which is coming as a moving vlog) to make that video.

Nothing sponsored about it other than that we happened to have the GPUs from a separate deal we struck and wanted to make a video.

Hope this helps :)"

SO I dont know where you are getting the water cooling setup from. is that in a different thread? 

and Im not attacking  you. Bahrain is beautiful I've been there which is why I know of the high migrant workers etc. and that majority of Bahrain i's are related to big business/ kings/ princes etc. 
im not being racist. last time I looked the level was like 86% were migrant workers. thats pretty much everyone lol 

DUDE FFS that is the guy's USERNAME now who's the ...d 

Im not your personal research assistant. I know Bahrain's don't like work..... but damn its a few pages back. LIKE READ 

New Game + comment #3

"junior member"  very fitting 

New Game + comment #4

its common knowledge they dont do manual labour they hire in pakistani's etc to do it its not racisim if its true lol 

New Game + comment #5

neither did I. 

New Game + comment #6

dude put down the mouse and go learn. 

almost 90% of manual labour is done by south asian /people migrating into the gulf states 

New Game + comment #7

actually it's dropped 

Bahrain has just over 458,000 migrant workers, about 77 percent of the total work force 

my bad.. still quite high 

New Game + comment #8

btw I may be a junior member by post count but I have been around since the forum first started, I am more a browser than a commenter but you have annoyed me so I am just pointing out the obvious in a humorous fashion because reasons

on page 4 he states 

"FYI the boost video was not an ad. We've wanted to make a video about the variability of GPU boost for quite some time and we utilized the 6 GPUs that NVIDIA gave us to upgrade our editing workstations (the arrangement is that there will be a video where we show our editors upgrading their workstations and putting the GPUs in them, which is coming as a moving vlog) to make that video.

Nothing sponsored about it other than that we happened to have the GPUs from a separate deal we struck and wanted to make a video.

Hope this helps :)"

SO I dont know where you are getting the water cooling setup from. is that in a different thread? 

and Im not attacking  you. Bahrain is beautiful I've been there which is why I know of the high migrant workers etc. and that majority of Bahrain i's are related to big business/ kings/ princes etc. 

im not being racist. last time I looked the level was like 86% were migrant workers. thats pretty much everyone lol 

New Game + comment #9

From what I can tell, this thread is basically a big collection of unsupported, self-proclaimed "facts", covered in a sauce of racial slurs and ad-hominems. For the one-millionth time: this is not allowed on the forums. Discussion is encouraged, but keep it civil. You guys have failed to do so in this thread, hence it is now locked. Today is a sad day.