NSA firing 90% of it's System Administrator staff due to trust issues.

Go to solution Solved by CoolBeans,

NSA pulled another EA

Story at /.

sl4shd0rk writes

"NSA Director Keith Alexander has decided that the best way to prevent illegal data leaks is to reduce the number of ears and eyes involved. During a talk at a cybersecurity conference in New York this week, Alexander revealed his plans to cut 90% of the System Administration workforce  at the NSA. 'What we're in the process of doing — not fast enough — is reducing our system administrators by about 90 percent,' he said. Alluding to an issue of mistrust, Alexander further clarified: 'At the end of the day it's about people and trust ... if they misuse that trust they can cause huge damage .' Apparently, breaking the law and lying about it  leaves one without a sense of irony when speaking in public."

I particularly like that irony comment, but at the same time, ... you cannot be cereal. :|

I mean, irony and all aside, I just cannot wrap my head around this decision by these people. It just... blows my mind. Almost literally.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Would this fall under "Tech News"?

I mean, when I post articles like this, I cannot help but wonder what section of the forum they should go under. General Discussion? Tech News? Off topic?

General is General, so I go with that, but still.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

NSA pulled another EA

Exactly! Instead of cloud gaming...cloud of American's private data!

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I want to see all the bureaucrats try to do fill the jobs themselves.

They'd force Google to surrender people's personal information then try to sell it back to them.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

As Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen puts it:Only the dead stay silent.

Would be scary if more than one die in "accident".

They'd force Google to surrender people's personal information then try to sell it back to them.

Aahh good idea. Google has tons of brilliant people that should stop making lets say the.... self driving car. Policing the internet should be a much higher priority. Amrica

skynet............. is happening....

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Collect all the data on everybody? Perfectly fine!

But lets make sure to fire the people that can keep it safe.

As Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen puts it:Only the dead stay silent.

Would be scary if more than one die in "accident".

Exactly. just another "accident"

BRAIN: intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 ghz stock voltage. GPU: ZOTAC GTX 770*2, both @ 1300mhz core 7900mhz memory. 
CASE: custom painted Fractal Design R4.        SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 pro.    STORAGE: 2TB WD NAS.                 MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE z87x-ud3h
PSU: Corsair 760.    LIGHTS: NZXT hue.          FANS: 4 NZXT rifle bearing.          RAM: 2*4GB patriot black mamba.    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH C12P with NZXT 140mm fan.  

I think this is a great idea, fire the people who created your spying system, and then expect that they never use their inside knowledge to do anything against it because you made them sign a piece of paper.   It's brilliant!!

The NSA can't lose!  Is not like the fired technicians could anonymously do things against it.  I mean they will obviously change the passwords for everything, that should be enough to keep them out, right?

I just wonder how long is gonna take, until all this collected info is send to china or north korea because of all the backdoors these guys must have left in.  Or a torrent is available at pirate bay....  XD

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Honestly to tell you all, I'm American and I am disgusted at this. All governments are afraid of one thing. The citizens. 

We have the power to take it all back, but we just don't realize we have that power in our hands. This totally recalls reform in all governments.

I respect Edward for opening this to us. He sacrificed his life and threw it all away just so we could know. Because knowledge is power.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

o.0 The NSA is tending towards this little joke I will paraphrase from a source I forget: I was walking home one night and I saw a man roofing. He called me a paranoid little weirdo. In morse code... Paranoid little weirdos.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

Just watch. One of those 10% remaining will become so mentally/emotionally stressed, he'll end up revealing more than Edward Snowden has.

Also, on what basis did they categorize their employees to see who is part of the 90% to be fired. 

Just wonderful, Fire the people who know enough to screw you over.

Way To Go NSA, Way To Go.

Meanwhile, with knowledge of only 10% of the workforce left, everyone knows the NSA is not working as efficiently.

I agree with CoolBeans they have pulled an EA. I mean are the NSA really going to have people that want to work for them now.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"