British journalists in Turkey arrested over using encryption

2 British journalists and their fixer have been arrested for deliberately aiding ISIS on the basis of the fixer using strong encryption on his laptop.

Three staff members from Vice News were charged with "aiding an armed organisation" because one of the men was using an encryption system on his personal computer which is often used by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a senior press official in the Turkish government has told Al Jazeera.

It is believed that the actual reason for their arrest isTurkish authorities wanting to keep them from reporting on recent clashes between Turkish security forces and Kurdish nationalists.

So it's unlikely they will actually be convicted of anything, but it still shows that use of encryption or even just association with someone who does it is a good enough cause for arrest in Turkey now. And UK itself isn't far off as David Cameron has made remarks about wanting to eliminate communications that the government can't listen in on.

Al Jazeera source

Ars Technica source

2 British journalists and their fixer have been arrested for deliberately aiding ISIS on the basis of the fixer using strong encryption on his laptop.

It is believed that the actual reason for their arrest isTurkish authorities wanting to keep them from reporting on recent clashes between Turkish security forces and Kurdish nationalists.

So it's unlikely they will actually be convicted of anything, but it still shows that use of encryption or even just association with someone who does it is a good enough cause for arrest in Turkey now. And UK itself isn't far off as David Cameron has made remarks about wanting to eliminate communications that the government can't listen in on.

Al Jazeera source

Ars Technica source

thats so mean :(

Maybe Vice shouldn't write such shit articles then 

deliberately aiding ISIS

charged with "aiding an armed organisation" because one of the men was using an encryption system on his personal computer which is often used by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

giphy.gif

Surprise! Not every country has technologically and socially moved forward as America!

*facedesk

They also probably think encryption is one entity. "There using the same system as ISIS!"

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Maybe Vice shouldn't write such shit articles then 

I agree, they extremely sided when it comes to conflicts and such, this is no surprise to me what is surprising is that it took this long to actually come up with shit like this. Fun fact, I can get frisked, ID checked and hold up against my will just for walking in Çankaya district of Ankara without a warrant or a reason.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Oh look, more governments doing things they shouldn't be doing under the guise of protecting the people.

Yay facism!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

so now encryption = isis. Great. Why do governments have to be so incredibly stupid.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well this has obviously been done to prevent reporting on the Turkish conflict with the Kurds, ya know the Kurdish, the same guys that the UK and US are allied with against IS.

What a fucking mess that region of the world is.