Android MXQ Box

Starwind

Are these legit?  Anyone have one running just fine?  Seems like there is a lot of add on's you can do and seems like a cord cutter's dream?

http://www.amazon.com/G-Streamer-MXQ-Android-Special-Edition/dp/B00T8JBAT4

Android boxes like these were quite popular in Asia before Smart TVs became commonplace. They replaced standalone media players for a short while (people with older TVs still buy them to have a "Smart" experience).

Are these legit?  Anyone have one running just fine?  Seems like there is a lot of add on's you can do and seems like a cord cutter's dream?

http://www.amazon.com/G-Streamer-MXQ-Android-Special-Edition/dp/B00T8JBAT4

Android boxes like these were quite popular in Asia before Smart TVs became commonplace. They replaced standalone media players for a short while (people with older TVs still buy them to have a "Smart" experience).

I have a Amlogic M8, bought about a year ago and it works pretty fine. It basically started out as simply something connected to my TV ("dumb" TV, 1080p) and where Kodi could be installed. I chose an Android box because of all the apps I can install on it. Not all of them are optimized for such a device, but most work pretty well. As a media center it works like a charm, playing 1080p videos without drawing a sweat. I got a Bluetooth controller for it (Mad.Catz C.T.L.R) and been playing some android games on it even. It's no Gaming PC but it does the job for most of the controller-compatible Android games out there. Lag on the controller might exist, compared to when it's connected to a PC, but I'm not such a controller gamer to notice the difference.

Now that I actually opened your amazon link, I would recommend the M8 over that one.

In fact, it's possible that there are some even newer models already out.

It's always a matter of choices: mine has 2 USB ports but 2 GB RAM. The MXQ has 1 GB RAM but 4 USB ports.... Processor and graphics appear to be the same.

M8 comes with Android 4.4, MXQ with 4.2.

Usually they're alreay rooted, so you could always install another ROM on it (if you're that sort of person... ;) )

Now that I actually opened your amazon link, I would recommend the M8 over that one.

In fact, it's possible that there are some even newer models already out.

It's always a matter of choices: mine has 2 USB ports but 2 GB RAM. The MXQ has 1 GB RAM but 4 USB ports.... Processor and graphics appear to be the same.

M8 comes with Android 4.4, MXQ with 4.2.

Usually they're alreay rooted, so you could always install another ROM on it (if you're that sort of person... ;) )

I was wondering how a lot of these people on Craigslist are selling them for twice the price, and it seems to be an older version of Kodi let you really get a lot of things for free.  I thank you for your feedback and experince on them!!

I was wondering how a lot of these people on Craigslist are selling them for twice the price, and it seems to be an older version of Kodi let you really get a lot of things for free.  I thank you for your feedback and experince on them!!

Yeah, I bought mine on amazon and it came directly from the supplier. The only "problem" with it is that the settings were all chinese at first, and I only get chinese cities for the weather.... Otherwise, no problem with it.

There are a lot of guides on the internet for these boxes. I liked this website:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/17/m8-android-tv-box-review/

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/16/how-to-firmware-upgrade-amlogic-s802/

The kodi version is easily updateable, as it is now on Google Play Store. As far as I know, there is no real difference between Kodi versions in what the add-ons can or not do.

No problem! Enjoy it!