Core i7 3770k versus 4770k

Go to solution Solved by Samdb,
Firstly the 3770K and the 4770K are essentially the same CPU, the 3770K has more inefficient clocks than the 4770K leading to a lower amount of IPC (Instructions Per Clock). However the 3770K produces a lot less heat that the 4770K although it still uses thermal paste. The 4770K and the Haswell series of processors are notorious from having cheap thermal compound between the die and the IHS, leading to a greater heat output, leading to less overclocking capability. However the Haswell series of processors also uses less power than the previes generation Ivy Bridge CPU's, or the 3770K in your circumstance. The two CPU's use different chipsets; the 3770K uses the Z77 chipset and the 4770K uses the Z87 chipset. Z77 boards have come down a lot in price recently and you can get more for what you would pay for a Z87 board. However, buying a Z87 board gives the opportunity to upgrade in the future, to the next series of Broadwell processors. Intel follows a tick tock pattern, first with an architecture change, then a die shrink. Haswell is meant to be a "tick" cycle, meaning the next series of Intel CPU's may be much better than Haswell. Ultimately the choice lies on what you want, do you want a good overclocker with lower heat output, however is older and does not leave room to upgrade? Or do you want a newer CPU which has a higher IPC more heat and the opportunity to upgrade?

Sam,

Intel Response Squad member

Hey!

So I'm going to be building a new computer at the end of the month, and I was wondering about the CPU I should get. I want a Core i7, as I'll be doing more than just gaming - 3D animation, video rendering etc.

But after having a look online, I can't find any concrete information comparing the two CPUs that I was considering - the Core i7 3770k and the Core i7 4770k.

Which should I go for?

Thanks guys. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

4770K since they are about the same price.

Interested in Business and Technology

Firstly the 3770K and the 4770K are essentially the same CPU, the 3770K has more inefficient clocks than the 4770K leading to a lower amount of IPC (Instructions Per Clock). However the 3770K produces a lot less heat that the 4770K although it still uses thermal paste. The 4770K and the Haswell series of processors are notorious from having cheap thermal compound between the die and the IHS, leading to a greater heat output, leading to less overclocking capability. However the Haswell series of processors also uses less power than the previes generation Ivy Bridge CPU's, or the 3770K in your circumstance. The two CPU's use different chipsets; the 3770K uses the Z77 chipset and the 4770K uses the Z87 chipset. Z77 boards have come down a lot in price recently and you can get more for what you would pay for a Z87 board. However, buying a Z87 board gives the opportunity to upgrade in the future, to the next series of Broadwell processors. Intel follows a tick tock pattern, first with an architecture change, then a die shrink. Haswell is meant to be a "tick" cycle, meaning the next series of Intel CPU's may be much better than Haswell. Ultimately the choice lies on what you want, do you want a good overclocker with lower heat output, however is older and does not leave room to upgrade? Or do you want a newer CPU which has a higher IPC more heat and the opportunity to upgrade?

Sam,

Well the 3770K runs cooler, but I would go for the 4770K for the motherboards. Other than the chipset they have a lot in common.

go for an i7 4770k as you are 3d rendering if i'm right. and that's the way you go!

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Sam,

Did you just type that LOL?

Interested in Business and Technology

Sam,

Cheers man, very helpful!

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I had it ready in case someone posted it, it was bound to happen. I actually typed it this morning in the event this would crop up :)

yes, im on comms with him all i could hear was "tick tick tick" 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Sam,

Wow, Great answer lol. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

The 4770k is just the next generation of the 3770k. So take the new one because it is 15 % faster and is about the same price.

AMD 8350 Octocore CPU / Asus M5A97R2.0 MoBo / 16gb Crucial Memory / 700 Watt Thermaltake PSU / Samsung 840 120 gb SSD / AMD Radeon MSI HD 7870 2gb SC / TP Link Wireless card / Zalman Z11 case