Every other version of windows is bad

Agazed

I keep seeing people argue about how Windows 10 is invading their privacy. Please explain this to me. When you install software you agreed to the EULA, right? I'm willing to bet you didn't read this in it's entirety, if at all. I'm also willing to bet (since I didn't read it all) that you agreed to this data collection process. Therefore, since you agreed to this, it isn't an invasion of privacy. If you really think Microsoft are the only ones giving the NSA info, you're delusional. They can get whatever info they want regardless of whether or not it's given to them. The only way not to have data collected on you is to get rid of your modern tech and be a hermit out in the mountains living off the land.

Um. It actually is an invasion of privacy regardless of the user accepting that it happens or will happen should he press "I agree/Accept". Just because you acknowledge something is happening or know that it is doesn't make it any less of what it is. Or do you consider what the NSA did not spying because we all now know that it happened? Oh, and "we can spy on you 24/7" shouldn't be in the EULA in the first place.

And no one said anything NSA obtaining information from Windows—they can get it on their own and at a much larger scale than Microsoft. And no, that argument makes no sense. There is a way to achieve privacy, or at least a decent portion of it, but certain people in this world can't find enough fs to give to fight for it. Instead they just agree with whatever they have to for convenience or laziness, or hell even out of ignorance. These are the same people who have, throughout history, just stood aside while other people fought—sometimes with blood—over what is right and wrong.

There is OS X and Linux so its not impossible to get off Microsoft software.

But the main thing people seem to be missing is that being secretive in itself sets off alarms and draws attention. As they say, the best place to hide is in plain sight. ;)

It is why I have switched to Linux. Well, I mean one of the reasons. I just really love Linux. <33

Might be that was so with an older Windows OS, but I doubt hiding in plain sight is achievable in Windows 10 now. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Let me point out that ME gets skipped out when mentioning OS's. I initially liked ME it was a great looking OS BUT it is in its own category in terms of bad OS's. ME was terrible, it would crash constantly. I think I had to re install the OS about 4 times in a year in my pc as the registry would corrupt just sitting there doing nothing, you look at it and it would say screw you dude and die.  <_<

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Let me point out that ME gets skipped out when mentioning OS's. I initially liked ME it was a great looking OS BUT it is in its own category in terms of bad OS's. ME was terrible, it would crash constantly. I think I had to re install the OS about 4 times in a year in my pc as the registry would corrupt just sitting there doing nothing, you look at it and it would say screw you dude and die.  <_<

I honestly don't know why so many people had issues with it. I found that for me it only had 1 blue screen after a driver became corrupted due to the HDD failing. Otherwise it was more stable than 98SE (though I think running a defrag once a week helped a lot to, if I left the defrag any longer the OS slowed right down).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Um. It actually is an invasion of privacy regardless of the user accepting that it happens or will happen should he press "I agree/Accept". Just because you acknowledge something is happening or know that it is doesn't make it any less of what it is. Or do you consider what the NSA did not spying because we all now know that it happened? Oh, and "we can spy on you 24/7" shouldn't be in the EULA in the first place.

Ok, so here is what the EULA that you, myself, and everyone else running Windows 10 has agreed to. This is copied straight from the EULA and the privacy statement:

3.      Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.

Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive, or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our services by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device.

We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location.

Microsoft uses the data we collect to provide you the services we offer, which includes using data to improve and personalize your experiences. We also may use the data to communicate with you, for example, informing you about your account, security updates and product information. And we use data to help make the ads we show you more relevant to you. However, we do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.

Then there is this as well, right at the beginning:

By accepting this agreement or using the software, you agree to all of these terms, and consent to the transmission of certain information during activation and during your use of the software as per the privacy statement described in Section 3. If you do not accept and comply with these terms, you may not use the software or its features. 

How does this compare to other companies?

Adobe Creative Cloud:

1.3 Privacy. The Privacy Policy at http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy governs any personal information you provide to us. By using the Services or Software you agree to the terms of the Privacy Policy.

Adobe ID, registration and customer support

When you register to use an Adobe website or application, create an Adobe ID, or contact us for support or other offerings, Adobe collects information that identifies you. This may include your name, company name, email address, or payment information. We may also sometimes collect other information that does not identify you. Some of this information is required and other information is optional (more information about what specific Adobe websites and applications collect). For student and teacher editions of our applications, information regarding your eligibility is required. To help keep our databases current and to provide you the most relevant content and experiences, we may combine information from you with information from public sources and our trusted partners, in accordance with applicable law. For example, from these sources, we may learn the company size and industry of our business customers.

How about Steam?

Collection of Information

By using Valve's online sites, products, and services, users agree that Valve collects and processes the personally identifiable information (as defined below) they provide by creating a Steam account, by purchasing or selling subscriptions, or during any exchange with Valve in connection with the use of their Steam account. Valve will not share any personally identifiable information with other parties except as described in this policy. Valve also processes anonymous data, aggregated or not, in order to analyze and produce statistics related to the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group or as individuals. Such anonymous data does not allow the identification of the users to which it relates. Valve may share anonymous data, aggregated or not, with third parties.

So are you going to stop using all the software you use? It seems to me that if you are against Microsoft doing this, you would be against all the other companies that are collecting the exact same data. But I don't see you dumping all your tech and living in a tent out in the woods, living strictly off the land. I'll say it again, if you have given consent to allow them to collect the data, it is not an invasion of privacy. That would be like inviting someone into your house and once they come in you claim they invaded your privacy. You can cry (figurative, not literally, but if you want to cry go ahead) all you want about this invasion of privacy, but until the consumer puts their foot down and says no more (by voting with their wallet), they will continue to do this. But wait, don't apple and Linux gather data? Lets check:

Apple:

4. Consent to Use of Data. A. Diagnostic and Usage Data. If you choose to allow diagnostic and usage collection, you agree that Apple and its subsidiaries and agents may collect, maintain, process and use diagnostic, technical, usage and related information, including but not limited to unique system or hardware identifiers, information about your computer, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to provide and improve Apple’s products and services, facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to you (if any) related to the Apple Software, and to verify compliance with the terms of this License. You may change your preferences for Diagnostics & Usage collection at any time by going to the Diagnostics & Usage setting in the Apple Software and deselecting the checkbox. The Diagnostics & Usage setting is found in the Security & Privacy pane within System Preferences. Apple may use this information, as long as it is collected in a form that does not personally identify you, for the purposes described above. To enable Apple’s partners and third party developers to improve their software, hardware and services designed for use with Apple products, Apple may also provide any such partner or third party developer with a subset of diagnostic information that is relevant to that partner’s or developer’s software, hardware and/or services, as long as the diagnostic information is in a form that does not personally identify you.

Linux is the only one that I can't find (quickly at least) anything about data collection. So I guess if you get a copy of Linux, you might be in the clear for your OS, but now you still have to scour the internet for software that doesn't do any data mining. But wait a second, by accessing the internet you are now being mined. Aww hell, it's a lose, lose situation.

And here is a case study done by Harvard Law Shool ( http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/olds/ecommerce/privacytext.html )

1. Unreasonable intrusion upon the seclusion of another  

"One who intentionally intrudes, physically or otherwise, upon the solitude or seclusion of another or his private affairs or concerns, is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person."
(
)

Comment c of the Restatement provision indicates that the section has been applied to wiretaps.
However, like the ECPA, the major difficulty is that the provision applies only to information not voluntarily provided, which may bar claims where online profiling practices are disclosed in the terms of use or privacy policy

The FTC has made clear that it does not consider online profiling to be per se deceptive or unfair when such practices are disclosed in privacy policies and users have the opportunity to opt-out. In fact, the FTC cleared DoubleClick, a network advertising firm that uses cookies and web bugs to target advertisements, of wrongdoing in a recent investigation. However, if online profiling is not disclosed to consumers, the Commission's stance may be different. In its consent decree agreement with Geocities and its report to Congress on privacy, the FTC hinted that it might consider undisclosed profiling to be per se unfair--even if the site has not posted a privacy policy at all.

Although the Supreme Court has not directly addressed the issue, the Court has thus far upheld privacy laws against constitutional challenge and refused to treat the sale of personal information as speech. In Reno v. Condon, the Court held that personally identifiable information constituted a "thing in commerce" rather than speech and upheld a South Carolina law restricting the disclosure of drivers' personal information without prior consent (Website) (Condon, 2000). In Los Angeles Police Dept. v. United Reporting, the Court also rejected a First Amendment challenge to a California statute that limited access to the names and addresses of arrested individuals (Website) (United Reporting, 1999). Like the law of online profiling generally, the First Amendment issue remains unsettled.

Ok, so here is what the EULA that you, myself, and everyone else running Windows 10 has agreed to. This is copied straight from the EULA and the privacy statement:

Then there is this as well, right at the beginning:

How does this compare to other companies?

Adobe Creative Cloud:

How about Steam?

So are you going to stop using all the software you use? It seems to me that if you are against Microsoft doing this, you would be against all the other companies that are collecting the exact same data. But I don't see you dumping all your tech and living in a tent out in the woods, living strictly off the land. I'll say it again, if you have given consent to allow them to collect the data, it is not an invasion of privacy. That would be like inviting someone into your house and once they come in you claim they invaded your privacy. You can cry (figurative, not literally, but if you want to cry go ahead) all you want about this invasion of privacy, but until the consumer puts their foot down and says no more (by voting with their wallet), they will continue to do this. But wait, don't apple and Linux gather data? Lets check:

Apple:

Linux is the only one that I can't find (quickly at least) anything about data collection. So I guess if you get a copy of Linux, you might be in the clear for your OS, but now you still have to scour the internet for software that doesn't do any data mining.

Thank you for the wall of text that made a point no one argued against...this is another example of someone trying to devalue the importance of privacy by radicalising the objections. If you are going to respond, please at the very least read the rest of the replies before you do.

We are all very much aware that (pretty much) all software/products will never, in this day and age (thanks largely to people who don't care), provide the user with 100% privacy. In fact, this isn't even restricted to technology. Everything will require some aspect of personal data, in part for security. The problem is that people have been allowing it to get out of control. The example of such is Windows 10, Apple and Google. Data mining masterminds. Now they literally dig through your computer, browser history, phone calls and the like when they do not need to nor when they should be legally allowed to.

Ubuntu gathers data, but not in the same sense. And you can actually turn if off through the settings...you don't have to dig through various registries of other files to turn it off. And you can't exactly put one distro together with the other, you know...there are hundreds of Linux distros, all with different intents and purposes, and privacy settings. The Linux community prides itself not only on personal and hardware security, but the ability to adjust whatever—and that really means whatever—the user wants to. So if one distro doesn't, there are more that does.

So maybe if more people cared and stopped accepting more and more privacy violations, they wouldn't make it worse each and every passing year.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Linux is the only one that I can't find (quickly at least) anything about data collection. So I guess if you get a copy of Linux, you might be in the clear for your OS, but now you still have to scour the internet for software that doesn't do any data mining. But wait a second, by accessing the internet you are now being mined. Aww hell, it's a lose, lose situation.

Linux is based on their distro. Ubuntu does.

I personally think Windows 8.1 was great, people made too big a fuss about the metro UI, especially considering you never actually had to use it.

yeah, and if you instaled a app like classic shell it was basically perfect

and google already knows all my password so what if microsoft knows my reddit history

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I'm not devaluing privacy. I'm trying to explain to you that by consenting to the EULA and privacy policy, you are granting them the access to the data. I'm not a fan of it either, but until something better comes along that doesn't collect all the info, I'll agree to their terms and turn off what I can. Complain all you want, but until you pair actions with your words, it rings hollow with the companies.

only childish kids believe in this bullshit 

"Windows 2000 - Good

Windows ME - Bad

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Bad

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Bad

Windows 10 - Good"

Im so sick of seeing this retarded list on the web.

I think that Windows Vista is good since SP1 so I disagree yours a bit and Windows 10 is "The last Windows ever" according to Microsoft

I ran Vista on a Core 2 Duo E4300 and 1GB RAM (then 3GB RAM). For the most part, it was okay, especially after the RAM bump. My biggest problem with it wasn't even directly caused by the OS, it was caused by a rootkit.

I run Windows Vista on a Core 2 Duo @1.8 Ghz and 4GB Ram and I had no problems but 2 BSODs which was me using too much resources

I think that Windows Vista is good since SP1 so I disagree yours a bit and Windows 10 is "The last Windows ever" according to Microsoft

WindowsVistaFanboy12

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

only childish kids believe in this bullshit 

"Windows 2000 - Good

Windows ME - Bad

Windows XP - Good

Windows Vista - Bad

Windows 7 - Good

Windows 8 - Bad

Windows 10 - Good"

Im so sick of seeing this retarded list on the web.

Straight up its true, Vista for example was bad because it was pushed well before computers were ready for it, people had loads of issues with Windows ME-which I can't replicate on any of my hardware, XP was bad at launch but the issues were fixed, Windows 7 was much the same as XP just more modern, Windows 8 was retarded, Windows 8.1/9 from what I've seen and the short time I've used it is pretty good (not Windows 7 good) and MSX is, well MSX-the OS that is very iffy and the most locked down to date.

PMSL

They updated Windows 7 and 8 to spy on those machines too

However, you can choose to not install those updates, and they are listed as optional.

PMSL

I've gone through every update my PC has received and removed each one that has anything to do with M$ spying on me. (And I've hidden them so they won't be in the updater again)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Straight up its true, Vista for example was bad because it was pushed well before computers were ready for it, people had loads of issues with Windows ME-which I can't replicate on any of my hardware, XP was bad at launch but the issues were fixed, Windows 7 was much the same as XP just more modern, Windows 8 was retarded, Windows 8.1/9 from what I've seen and the short time I've used it is pretty good (not Windows 7 good) and MSX is, well MSX-the OS that is very iffy and the most locked down to date.

Win10 has issues.

Also, what is MSX?

I've gone through every update my PC has received and removed each one that has anything to do with M$ spying on me. (And I've hidden them so they won't be in the updater again)

We are talking a bout Microsoft. Please keep your posts on topic.

Sorry, but Microsoft was "spying" on you way before. Try again.

We are talking a bout Microsoft. Please keep your posts on topic.

*facepalm*

M$ = Microsoft... And the thread is about every other version of windows being bad.. (Seeing how 9 was skipped, that makes 10 bad :P)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Win10 has issues.

Also, what is MSX?

OSX, MSX aka screwing with Apple Mac users aka the real name for Windows 10.

PMSL

*facepalm*

M$ = Microsoft... And the thread is about every other version of windows being bad.. (Seeing how 9 was skipped, that makes 10 bad :P)

It wasn't skipped, it was called Windows 8.1 because 'people will confuse it with Windows 9*'. As if you could confuse a modern OS with Windows 95 and 98.

PMSL

I know what you meant, and recall your conversation on another thread to try and push this, like it would do anything.

All it does it confuse people. So keep your special acronyms to yourself.

Thank you.

I know what you meant, and recall your conversation on another thread to try and push this, like it would do anything.

All it does it confuse people. So keep your special acronyms to yourself.

Thank you.

Its not against the COC, so I can use it whenever I would like to. And please stay on topic-this is about every other version of Windows being bad after all.

PMSL

It wasn't skipped, it was called Windows 8.1 because 'people will confuse it with Windows 9*'. As if you could confuse a modern OS with Windows 95 and 98.

No, because as you can see and shown from many open source projects, a common issue is that they identify Windows 95/98, by looking at the OS name (instead of looking at the actual version of OS), to see if it starts with "Windows 9". So because of this, Windows 9 will be detected as 95/98, meaning that either the program will crash as the wrong API calls are made, or say something that the OS is not supported. So to avoid a mess, they just skipped it.

That is why Windows 9 was skipped at the technical level.

At the marketing level, it is used the same way Nvidia skipped the 800 series for it's GeForce. It is to make it look like the new version is drastically newer.