Screen glitches when attempting to install Debian on my laptop. Any ideas?

urexyvca
Go to solution Solved by digitalboy,

Sorry to necropost but since I was in the same situation of OP and then I've solved it I would like to share the solution

In my case it was an HP 2570p laptop but the simptoms were exactly the same..

Edit the GRUB entry ("E" key at the GRUB menu): insert "set gfxpayload=keep" before the line starting with "linux .." then F10

VPMEEv6.jpg

So I wanna install Debian on my laptop but my screen glitches if I chose any item in the boot menu. Any ideas?

Here's how things work:

Laptop: HP ProBook 4540s

I tried disabling switchable grapics in BIOS but it didn't worked.

Have you tried running through the install in terminal mode?

And my guess is it's a setting in the BIOS. You could try booting in other modes etc.

I tried everything I could in that boot manu. Not sure how to do it with terminal.

Highlight "Install" in the boot menu, press 'E' to edit it, locate the line that has all of the boot flags (-nothis -nothat, etc...), you will need to use the arrow keys to move the cursor to that line, go to the end of the flags and add: -nomodeset

Then check the bottom of the screen and it should tell you what key to press to boot the system, usually F10. I run into this whenever I install most Linux distros on a system with an AMD APU or GPU. Once the installation is complete, you might have to repeat that process for the first boot of the OS until you can install the appropriate graphics driver. I forget what the key is to edit Grub during the regular OS boot-up, I want to say you hold Shift while powering on.

4Ut50YJ.jpg

^image inside

Like this? it didn't worked, the screen still glitched when I pressed F10.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necropost but since I was in the same situation of OP and then I've solved it I would like to share the solution

In my case it was an HP 2570p laptop but the simptoms were exactly the same..

Edit the GRUB entry ("E" key at the GRUB menu): insert "set gfxpayload=keep" before the line starting with "linux .." then F10