Teen Sentenced to 11 years+lifetime internet monitoring for supporting ISIS via Social Media.

Centurius

Yeah... Telling people to never make any mistakes in the first place is a bit too much to ask. That also assumes that no innocent person is ever wrongfully sentenced, which sadly happens all the time.

Don't twist my words. Not fucking up is not the same as making a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. A serious fuckup however, you need to be pretty special minded especially when you know what you're doing. At 17, you're not stupid and naive like a children. Or at least you better not be.

If you can't argue that what the US military does overseas can easily be considered terrorism sometimes, you should not be so quick to shout terrorist this and terrorist that.  There are many terrorist organizations in the world.  All your doing is perpetuating common propaganda to build support among the like minded people here.

Sure what this kid did was really stupid ideologically.  It was also really stupid to do this while living in the USA.  11 years is a long ass time but I won't argue that it is too much or too little.  It is just a circumstance of being in the USA (and Canada, and some of Europe) and daring to attempt to kill citizens through military channels.

You guys have no idea why this kid decided to support a group that devalues human life to a great degree.  If you think that it is not important, then wake up.  All this shit (war on terror) is happening because of the human psyche and how it can be manipulated... on all sides.  

Well he deserves it as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty sure treason is still punishable by death in the US

Wow, you really need to fact check before making those kinds of statements.

Okay took a look at it and while some were no doubt executed and many likely got severe sentences than what I initially thought but there were still some that had pretty short sentences... like 8 years in prison, granted that was Russian justice on a Western spy and not the other way around.

quick source which likely sucks: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/modern-world-history-1918-to-1980/the-cold-war/spies-of-the-cold-war-era/

Anyways I'm really tired and trying to catch up on all the youtube videos I missed when I was traveling so sorry if my response is really bad.

What he did was wrong but i think that lifetime sentence for 11 years old is a little bit harsh. 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

What he did was wrong but i think that lifetime sentence for 11 years old is a little bit harsh. 

No.

17 years old.

11 year sentence.

Lifetime internet monitoring.

Decisions have consequences, even stupid ones. 

He should count himself lucky, the US has executed people who support enemies in the past. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

No.

17 years old.

11 year sentence.

Lifetime internet monitoring.

fk my life

Thank you for correcting me. I should not comment post when i'm using phone.... 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

Another life ruined because people care more about punishing criminals rather than rehabilitating them.

What could have been a decent human being doing some idiotic mistakes in his youth will now be an outcast who will probably resort to more crimes in the future.

Also, is "lifetime Internet monitoring" really a punishment? I thought that was the norm and applied to everyone these days.

As for the "Lifetime Internet Monitoring", that means that someone will actively go through his Internet records, what sites he visits, where he goes on Facebook and what he tweets and who he talks to. Sure, a computer algorithm will likely do most of the heavy lifting, but you should have no doubt that a human will actively follow up on the results.

I do believe that his punishment should heavily focus on "de-radicalization", and post-internment counselling and therapy. His prison term could also be shorter - like 5 years. But I'm not an expert in Law or in what is effective punishment, so this is all just speculation about how effective it would even be.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't mean to sound ignorant with this comment. Being only 17 to be put away for 11 to life seems harsh. We have all done dumb stuff at 17. Maybe not this dumb admittedly. But the kid is young enough to grow into a completely different person by full adulthood. That said and more to the point is: Where is mommy and daddy in all this? Does the apple fall far from the tree? Maybe instead of incarceration, which will most likely destroy a kid that might just learn to be human once all his teenage angst subsides. Send him and his family to the country that he is assisting. This way he can see the his so called heroes first hand. I doubt that when you take this kid who grew up living off the fat of the United States gets to where he's going will enjoy actually walking the so called walk. I don't doubt he will be singing the star spangled banner wishing he was back home with reliable electricity and his good friend the Internet in no time. Not to mention the fact that he gets to see his whole family get their lives pulled up from under them and be forced to move to a third world country would be quit rough. Still better than turning a kid yes he is still a kid into a criminal. Or he will thank us for it. At least taxpayers don't have to shell out a million plus to keep him in prison in order to do so.

At 17, you're not stupid and naive like a children. Or at least you better not be.

That is exactly what they are.  Not to certain extremes, but on a whole this is what they are.

They are children and children are stupid and naive.

he's definitely stupid that's what i can say for sure, why else would he "plead guilty"

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

he's definitely stupid that's what i can say for sure, why else would he "plead guilty"

Might have been a plea bargain. Even innocent people agree to plead guilty in some cases, because there is a risk of losing the trial and getting an even harsher sentence.

A plea bargain (also plea agreement, plea deal, copping a plea, or plea in mitigation) is any agreement in a criminal case between the prosecutor and defendant whereby the defendant agrees to plead guilty to a particular charge in return for some concession from the prosecutor. This may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to a less serious charge, or to one of several charges, in return for the dismissal of other charges; or it may mean that the defendant will plead guilty to the original criminal charge in return for a more lenient sentence.

I doubt this person was innocent, but the prosecutor might have threatened with something far worse than 11 years in jail if he tried to act innocent.

Might have been a plea bargain. Even innocent people agree to plead guilty in some cases, because there is a risk of losing the trial and getting an even harsher sentence.

I doubt this person was innocent, but the prosecutor might have threatened with something far worse than 11 years in jail if he tried to act innocent.

i don't think he's 11 years in prison guilty, my gut is telling me that he's clueless and he's lawyers aren't really helping him either, he's still technically a minor and i don't he has the capacity to understand what's going on

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Sorry, but there's enough press and information on ISIS out there by now to show what type of group they are. They just burned people alive in the latest story while they were hanging upside down. He's smart enough to get great grades in school, and reach out to them to assist them in their financial needs. He's lucky it was only 11 years, I think he deserves a much harsher sentence. The whole, he's just a dumb kid argument should never be applied to situations like this. They know the risk, and they know what they're doing. Would you use the same excuse if he drank and ended up killing an innocent family in an accident? When you make adult decisions you should face adult consequences.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

i don't think he's 11 years in prison guilty, my gut is telling me that he's clueless and he's lawyers aren't really helping him either, he's still technically a minor and i don't he has the capacity to understand what's going on

When you were 17 years old, would you have considered knowingly and openly supporting ISIS, or Al-Qaeda, or the KKK? No, of course not.

A normal 17 year old person has enough intelligence to understand what he is doing.

How can you possibly believe he doesn't have the capacity to understand what's going on? Maybe he was naive and didn't think he would get caught, but every person in America knows how evil ISIS are as a group.

I just don't understand how people can use that argument. Perhaps if you explained yourself more, maybe I could understand?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah... Telling people to never make any mistakes in the first place is a bit too much to ask. That also assumes that no innocent person is ever wrongfully sentenced, which sadly happens all the time.

Actively helping the current most ruthless and dangerous terrorist group in the world is not a "mistake".

That's the action of yet another youth who hasn't learned that he isn't untouchable yet.

Although I reckon he's learned that at this point now.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

When you were 17 years old, would you have considered knowingly and openly supporting ISIS, or Al-Qaeda, or the KKK? No, of course not.

A normal 17 year old person has enough intelligence to understand what he is doing.

How can you possibly believe he doesn't have the capacity to understand what's going on? Maybe he was naive and didn't think he would get caught, but every person in America knows how evil ISIS are as a group.

I just don't understand how people can use that argument. Perhaps if you explained yourself more, maybe I could understand?

I can actually make that argument.  Mind you, it would not be to proclaim the kid's innocence... more a showcase of his evident ignorance.

If the "kid's" goal was to kill US troops just for the hell of it, that would be just plain dumb on every level.  US troops are prepared to fight to the death already and any attack on them will result in the deaths of a larger number of ISIS members.

If the kid's goal was to remove the US military from the middle-east (a somewhat noble goal), his efforts to support military action, is again, going to result in a larger number of ISIS members being killed... along with risking the safety of innocent civilians.  The USA only leaves the middle-east through diplomacy, period.

The kid was effectively imprisoning himself for no good reason.  Who in their right mind would do that?

Who in their right mind would do that?

Thing is people who get brainwashed dont have a mind of their own. As for trying minors as an adult It has also happened here in Aus. It just depends on the severity of the crime. In his case it might be treason.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

Thing is people who get brainwashed dont have a mind of their own. As for trying minors as an adult It has also happened here in Aus. It just depends on the severity of the crime. In his case it might be treason.

Right.  So it can be argued that he did not know what the consequences of his actions would be.  He was just not smart enough to understand.

The kid was effectively imprisoning himself for no good reason.  Who in their right mind would do that?

Well... To not only get the idea but also follow through with supporting ISIS kind of shows that he is a titanic intellect in a world full of icebergs.

It's not really a surprised that the stupid thing he did was also done in a poor way.

Right.  So it can be argued that he did not know what the consequences of his actions would be.  He was just not smart enough to understand.

I don't know about that. The kid was reportedly quite smart. He was radicalized, not stupid.

Treason is treason.

He is lucky the US government no longer issues the death penalty to civilians for acts of treason and espionage.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't know about that. The kid was reportedly quite smart. He was radicalized, not stupid.

Hmmm, dumb people making reports about intelligence...

:D

That is exactly what they are.  Not to certain extremes, but on a whole this is what they are.

They are children and children are stupid and naive.

If that's really your opinion then God fucking help this planet because we're fucked.

Dalekphalm has it dead on.