Teen Sentenced to 11 years+lifetime internet monitoring for supporting ISIS via Social Media.

Centurius

No, the strawman I'm referring to is your assertion that saying that a child associating with the wrong people online shouldn't be treated as harshly as this amounts to defending ISIS. That's absurd.

Right now the bogeyman we're supposed to direct our 2 minutes hate at is ISIS, I wonder who it will be tomorrow.

oh right isis is just some fake bogeyman of course we are not suppose to hate them its not like they are committing genocide 

No one is even slightly perturbed by a child being sent for prison for explaining how to use Bitcoin online?

What kind of 'child' supports a terrorist group?

You didn't make an argument. You repeated the OP and then patronisingly told me to read it. Plus points for amping up the condescension though. You must be a total buzz at parties. :)

bottom line is recruiting people to join isis is illegal and the government has ways of knowing the people who he asked to join isis and told them he would provide transportation to isis actually joined isis and is not vacationing in hawaii

No one is even slightly perturbed by a child being sent for prison for explaining how to use Bitcoin online?

I think explaining online and explaining specificity to a bunch of terrorists is 2 entirely different things... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

He told someone how to use crypto-currency and organised a plane flight. It's not obtuse to find that a bit worrying. Right now the bogeyman we're supposed to direct our 2 minutes hate at is ISIS, I wonder who it will be tomorrow.

that is knowingly aiding a terrorist organization. which is a crime. the content of the crime doesn't matter nor the reason(s). so stop thinking of this as some "government overlord" thing cause it isn't. and no, even at 13 you know what a terrorist organization does and should know not to be helping one in any way.

Wait, who are the extremists here?  11 years in prison for a 17 yr old?  Does no one remember what being 17 was like?  Everything about this seems way too stupid from start to finish, so I'm going to have to assume counseling/therapy and education are going to be a part of his rehabilitation as well as an early parole.

He should've used Tor.

Tor isn't as safe as it used to be

Wait, who are the extremists here?  11 years in prison for a 17 yr old?  Does no one remember what being 17 was like?  Everything about this seems way too stupid from start to finish, so I'm going to have to assume counseling/therapy and education are going to be a part of his rehabilitation as well as an early parole.

I remember, I was it less than a month ago.

Helping terrorists, mass murderers and just straight up idiots was not on my bucket list.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I remember 17 and I knew not to be jumping on Twitter and helping Al'qaeda (at that time, ISIS wasn't a thing yet) organize plane flights. it takes all kinds of stupid to do that.

You didn't make an argument. You repeated the OP and then patronisingly told me to read it. Plus points for amping up the condescension though. You must be a total buzz at parties. :)

I guess "no argument" is what you call when you have absolutely nothing to say.  You keep talking about "condescension" I got a feeling you don't even know what that means, plus points for trying to sound intelligent.

"You must be a total buzz at parties" - Says the guy getting rammed in this thread by everyone for your posts.

If you're not gonna talk about the topic and keep repeating yourself I'm not going to continue then.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I'm not cherry picking anything. I know what he did. Tek Syndicate try to give advice on how to use encryption and VPNs to avoid the NSA. This is specifically providing information to people to avoid the authorities. Do you not see how shaky a precedent this is for people who aren't supporting ISIS?

Even your last sentence. The US Government has the gall to look at a civil war happening thousands of miles away and dictate to people with ties to Syria who the "enemy" is. The west should have stayed out of that, yet another Middle Eastern conflict to go and fuck up further.

When an organization starts attacking the territory of NATO countries and on US soil itself they make themselves the enemy. Add the fact it is an offshoot of an organization that literally did 9/11 and you can see why the US would consider them the enemy.

The organization that burns people alive, commits genocide, retrieves organs from killed civilians for the illegal organ trade and so much more.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

The only thing I'm curious about is how they find out he did what he did. Is the because they monitor everything that happens and found him because of that or did he make some kind of mistake?

Probably by monitoring ISIS, if you're getting involved with ISIS chances are you are getting linked to them at some point if you're not careful enough. 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Well if that gets you 11 years what do we give to people supplying them weapons? Weapons that are no doubt comming from the US anyway

Life in jail, death sentence...   

Probably by monitoring ISIS, if you're getting involved with ISIS chances are you are getting linked to them at some point if you're not careful enough. 

well he did it on twitter, and people who are ISIS or in someway connected to them are probably actively monitored already (which isn't illegal at all to do considering it takes a small fee paid to Twitter and you can pull down everything from twitter as it is posted no matter who you are) so when they see someone knew giving advice to one of these known accounts they just get s subpoena for that Twitter acc's info.

with this there isn't going to be anything NSA like in all likelihood.

Why not just life in prison plus chopping off his fingers?

Well if that gets you 11 years what do we give to people supplying them weapons? Weapons that are no doubt comming from the US anyway

Them? They get elected.....erm...already...are...elected.

Yay my sanity!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

well he did it on twitter, and people who are ISIS or in someway connected to them are probably actively monitored already (which isn't illegal at all to do considering it takes a small fee paid to Twitter and you can pull down everything from twitter as it is posted no matter who you are) so when they see someone knew giving advice to one of these known accounts they just get s subpoena for that Twitter acc's info.

with this there isn't going to be anything NSA like in all likelihood.

Yep, in this case it was pretty much straight forward and easy.

Yes he was an idiot, but IMO 11 years is harsh. Should have been like 5 years or something.

no he got off easy.

11 years of simple internet monitoring for helping, and helping someone join, group who practices rape and murder as much as the US army practices driving.  remember according to ISIS its ok to take a 9 year old as a slave force her to marry you so you can rape her.  plus they pretty much shoot any fighter who surrenders to them. they have murdered thousands of surrenders soldiers.  plus murdering people who try to tell them not to do those things. or how bout beating women who they deem not "modest" enough.

he's a piece of shit who deserves to be killed like every member of isis or supporter.

yea ISIS has tons of US weapons, but the US never gave them to any.  what they have they took from Iraqs army when they first came into Iraq and their army either surrendered and was executed, ran away or fought poorly and died. 

15, life if they can directly tie you to an actual action resulting in death.

You also seem to be underestimating the impact of just what he did. A terrorist organization that can better hide its money is much more capable of buying those weapons.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Tor isn't as safe as it used to be

What does that mean?

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

That kid needs to have his head checked if he is helping ISIS!

yea what he needs is a .45 caliber trepanning

yea what he needs is a .45 caliber trepanning

Yeah that too!