[Updated] Oxide responds to AotS Conspiracies, Maxwell Has No Native Support For DX12 Asynchronous Compute

I'm not sure that is actually as much of an issue unless you have your mind psychologically trained for it...

And remember how 48 fps hobbit got complained about due to minds trained to the lower speed...

The hobbit was filmed in 48fps, but that isn't exactly what i am referring to. When you have a 60hz display, it has to scale itself down to 24 or 48 in order to match the filmed 24hz content. This scaling tends to bring slight stutters and jitters that some people find annoying. It has been long debated that 120hz is the best all around resolution, as it is divisible by 24 (Cinematic Film) and 30 (TV NTSC).

Many high-end LCD televisions now have a 120 or 240 Hz (current and former NTSC countries) or 100 or 200 Hz (PAL/SECAM countries) refresh rate. The rate of 120 was chosen as the least common multiple of 24 frame/s (cinema) and 30 frame/s (NTSC TV), and allows for less distortion when movies are viewed due to the elimination of telecine (3:2 pulldown). For PAL at 25 frame/s, 100 or 200 Hz is used as a fractional compromise of the least common multiple of 600 (24 x 25). These higher refresh rates are most effective from a 24p-source video output (e.g. Blu-ray Disc), and/or scenes of fast motion.

Again, i don't really understand the full extent of it, i only know what a friend told me, and what i just googled. Personally, 120hz sounds like the best middle ground for a monitor. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

People that need 1ms response times for their competitive shooters? Also, you used "both" when i listed 3 monitors. Since you seem to have a disdain towards TN panels, i will assume you were not talking about the IPS panel monitor i listed. That would mean you believe the $450 XG270HU to be "that much money", when the price is one of the lowest available for any adaptive sync monitor on the market. The Asus MG278Q have not had its priced leaked yet, so there is no possible way to know how much it costs. That means you cannot call it expensive until you see its price. Which leads me to the conclusion that your view $450 too high of a price to pay for a 1440p, 30-144hz 1ms Freesync Monitor, just because its a TN panel.

The monitor you mentioned has G-Sync, not freesync, so contextually speaking, it made no sense for you to even quote me, let alone bring it up in a conversation regarding the availability of freesync monitors and the options people have when purchasing one. Also considering the XB270HU costs 78% more than the XG270HU, one can easily make the argument that color reproduction is seldom worth such a steep increase in price to the average gamer. 

Remember sir, quality is subjective. What might seem like trash to you, is perfectly acceptable for others. Given how cheap the monitors are, people get what they pay for. With those monitors i linked specifically, one could argue that they give unique offerings for their price, and are worth what little cash they cost. Again, worth is subjective, so i won't dwell on that aspect. 

I got my Acer XB270HU for half the price, don't worry.

As for inputlag, there is no difference between a Rog Swift and Acer XB270HU.

Heck those old Benq monitors that are used at tournaments have technically more inputlag then any display with G-SYNC or FreeSync because they reduce inputlag drastically. 

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

You know, i would personally agree with you, but for some odd reason, the entire competitive shooter community would disagree with you. They really claim to notice the difference between 60 and 144hz, just like Linus himself claims to also be able to do. I don't really see the benefits that a 1ms, 144hz monitor might have when it comes to playing a shooter, but people swear that they help.

Might be a placebo effect, or my eyes could simply be untrained to notice how useful such a setup might be. Either way, the market exists, and it sells really well. Besides, that 1440p 144hz 1ms monitor is the cheapest 1440p, 144hz 1ms monitor out there. With or without freesync, you will not be able to get a 144hz 1440p monitor at a cheaper price, freesync is just icing on the cake. 

I ain't a competitive player, i just play games for my own fun. 60hz is just shit and unplayable, I don't understand how people still use it.

Might aswell go back to playing consoles if 90% of the PC Gaming community still uses ancient 1080P 60hz monitors with overkill GPU's like 970's and R9 390's.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I got my Acer XB270HU for half the price, don't worry.

As for inputlag, there is no difference between a Rog Swift and Acer XB270HU.

That's nice, but i will repeat what i said before. I don't play competitive shooters. I stick primarily to MMO's and single player RPG's. Color reproduction would easily be the deciding factor for me, but someone else's mileage may vary. You may not notice input lag, but someone else might. For some reason, those competitive shooter gamers claim there is a significant difference between 1ms and 4ms response times, and they will be the ones that buy the 1ms TN panel monitors. 

I think it all comes down to a few categories.

1. Opinion. Yeah, some people have differing opinions based on how good or bad something is. While TN panels might be completely unbearable to use in your opinion, someone else might be fine using one.

2. Price. Some people don't want to invest big money into a monitor, and are wanting to get the most mileage for their dollar. While i would argue that investing in a higher quality monitor would save you money in the long run, some people have the "i want it now" attitude when it comes to saving cash.

3. Brand Reputation/Reviews. It's 2015, and some people still shop solely based on brands. Go figure, huh? Some people have this bitter hatred towards Acer, due to their terrible low end laptops crapping out (Seriously, i've had a few bad netbooks from them) and automatically think the rest of their products are just as bad. This is even reflected in reviews, as people will even troll reviews of products they don't even own to make a company look bad. This weighs in on the decision one makes when purchasing a monitor, especially if they don't know much about the product in the first place.

I did manage to do some research, it appears there is a difference in input lag when comparing the ROG Swift to the XB270HU.

lag.jpg

Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

While the panel of the XB270HU is slower (It's an IPS panel after all), the monitor as a whole is all around faster than the ROG Swift. Guess i learned something today after all.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

That's nice, but i will repeat what i said before. I don't play competitive shooters. I stick primarily to MMO's and single player RPG's. Color reproduction would easily be the deciding factor for me, but someone else's mileage may vary. You may not notice input lag, but someone else might. For some reason, those competitive shooter gamers claim there is a significant difference between 1ms and 4ms response times, and they will be the ones that buy the 1ms TN panel monitors. 

I think it all comes down to a few categories.

1. Opinion. Yeah, some people have differing opinions based on how good or bad something is. While TN panels might be completely unbearable to use in your opinion, someone else might be fine using one.

2. Price. Some people don't want to invest big money into a monitor, and are wanting to get the most mileage for their dollar. While i would argue that investing in a higher quality monitor would save you money in the long run, some people have the "i want it now" attitude when it comes to saving cash.

3. Brand Reputation/Reviews. It's 2015, and some people still shop solely based on brands. Go figure, huh? Some people have this bitter hatred towards Acer, due to their terrible low end laptops crapping out (Seriously, i've had a few bad netbooks from them) and automatically think the rest of their products are just as bad. This is even reflected in reviews, as people will even troll reviews of products they don't even own to make a company look bad. This weighs in on the decision one makes when purchasing a monitor, especially if they don't know much about the product in the first place.

I did manage to do some research, it appears there is a difference in input lag when comparing the ROG Swift to the XB270HU.

lag.jpg

Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

While the panel of the XB270HU is slower (It's an IPS panel after all), the monitor as a whole is all around faster than the ROG Swift. Guess i learned something today after all.

fun fact. you can get IPS panels with 4MS response time for 130 Bucks...

you can get a 76Hz one for around 150

fun fact. you can get IPS panels with 4MS response time for 130 Bucks...

you can get a 76Hz one for around 150

Eizo Foris FG2421 is a nice cheaper monitor, it's 24 inch 1080P VA "240hz" well actualy 120hz native.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

never in my life used Vsync.. ever...

The only settings i keep off no matter what is motion blur or blur effects in general and vsync.... Usually things just looks/behaves worse with them on....

Funny, because it's automatic in most cases and you have to consciously disable it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Dunno what games you play. Mine never had it "on" by default...

Oh wait, you're using jeeforse-ekspiriense........

Can I add that as an nvidia user, GeForce experience is the worst fucking tool ever?  It's so slow, and keeps going HEY PLAY ALL YOUR GAMES IN FULLSCREEN!

FUCK YOU, GIVE ME BORDERLESS WINDOWED.

Dunno what games you play. Mine never had it "on" by default...

Oh wait, you're using jeeforse-ekspiriense........

Dickishness not required.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Extended talk with David Kanter on Asynchronous Compute:

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

As for Intel, they're set to kick nVIDIA around in the Professional Markets with Knights Landing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9436/quick-note-intel-knights-landing-xeon-phi-omnipath-100-isc-2015

Taking place this week in Frankfurt, Germany is the 2015 International Supercomputing Conference. One of the two major supercomputing conferences of the year, ISC tends to be the venue of choice for major high performance computing announcements for the second half of the year and is where the summer Top 500 supercomputer list is unveiled.

In any case, Intel sends word over that they are at ISC 2015 showing off the “Knights Landing” Xeon Phi, which is ramping up for commercial deployment later this year. Intel unveiled a number of details about Knights Landing at last year’s ISC, where it was announced that the second-generation Xeon Phi would be based on Intel’s Silvermont cores (replacing the P54C cores in Knights Corner) and built on Intel’s 14nm process. Furthermore Knights Landing would also include up to 16GB of on-chip Multi-Channel DRAM (MCDRAM), an ultra-wide stacked memory standard based around Hybrid Memory Cube.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

I can't wait until Intel is able to start making dGPUs.

They'd have to purchase AMDs Graphics division due to the patents at play. This is one of the reasons I dislike Centralized patent enforcement.

They'd have to purchase AMDs Graphics division due to the patents at play. This is one of the reasons I dislike Centralized patent enforcement.

Intel made a gpu before, it was bad, but they did t before soo why aren't they allowed anymore to make one?

I mean they did that already so unless patents changed stuff i think it's fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Intel made a gpu before, it was bad, but they did t before soo why aren't they allowed anymore to make one?

I mean they did that already so unless patents changed stuff i think it's fine.

nVIDIA, being a lot like Apple, started to patent a bunch of ideas which then pushed ATi to do the same (like Google did). Now both company's control a venerable Duopolistic Oligarchy in the GPU sector. nVIDIA recently sued all of its Mobile competitors as well based on several of these patents.

The tech world has become infected with large companies sitting on their laurels.

nVIDIA, being a lot like Apple, started to patent a bunch of ideas which then pushed ATi to do the same (like Google did). Now both company's control a venerable Duopolistic Oligarchy in the GPU sector. nVIDIA recently sued all of its Mobile competitors as well based on several of these patents.

The tech world has become infected with large companies sitting on their laurels.

The funny part is that NVIDIA actually tryed to pull that trick on Apple, and the only thing they won with licensing enforcing was no more NVIDIA GPUs in Apple products.

The funny part is that NVIDIA actually tryed to pull that trick on Apple, and the only thing they won with licensing enforcing was no more NVIDIA GPUs in Apple products.

Yeah, Apple was taken over by the Big Banks (Conservatives). Right now, because Apple lacks creative genius', they release products which are "meh". Apple without Jobs is like a bicycle without wheels. The tech world needs hippies in order to innovate. The tech world needs more sharing, more open standards, more open source and more openness in general. Absent these qualities the place turns into a stagnating market which pats itself on the back for introducing a pink device (oh the rebels).

I'm waiting for the patents to expire.