What speakers for $2,000?

johnt

The vertical orientation results in a wider sweet spot. You get significant comb filtering from horizontal units if you sit off-axis.

Timbre-matched surrounds definitely help, but not nearly as much as a timbre-matched front stage (unless you listen to multi-channel music tracks, which normally aren't built for home theater setups).

I'll look into comb filtering to see how big of a deal it can be. Unfortunately, the MTM-210 is absolutely massive. In fact, it's so big that I will need to build a new entertainment center to accommodate. I don't see how I can possibly put my television 30 or so inches off the floor.

I'll look into comb filtering to see how big of a deal it can be. Unfortunately, the MTM-210 is absolutely massive. In fact, it's so big that I will need to build a new entertainment center to accommodate. I don't see how I can possibly put my television 30 or so inches off the floor.

It's not that big of a deal for many (hence the popularity of horizontal center speakers), though it does cause a very crooked frequency response. Most of it gets ignored by the brain, as we use those nuances for locating sound sources. It does look like this using a spectrum analyzer though (crooked lines measured off-axis):

307hsu.fig3.jpg

Reference systems often have the same speaker for all the channels for perfect matching (of course their positioning and room acoustics matter even more). Bookshelf-sized speakers are very popular for this use.

For typical layouts, there are very good horizontal speakers out there as well (the lower the crossover freq between the woofers and the tweeter, the better they do). 

Here's a fairly straightforward comparison:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

It's not that big of a deal for many (hence the popularity of horizontal center speakers), though it does cause a very crooked frequency response. Most of it gets ignored by the brain, as we use those nuances for locating sound sources. It does look like this using a spectrum analyzer though (crooked lines measured off-axis):

307hsu.fig3.jpg

Reference systems often have the same speaker for all the channels for perfect matching (of course their positioning and room acoustics matter even more). 

Am I even going to notice if I have carpet in front of the center? I generally try to do two things as good practice 1) I push out the center speaker up to 3/4-inch so that it isn't buried inside the entertainment center, and 2) I put soft material beneath the front of the center so that the speaker is slightly tilted and pointing almost directly at my listening position.

Am I even going to notice if I have carpet in front of the center? I generally try to do two things as good practice 1) I push out the center speaker up to 3/4-inch so that it isn't buried inside the entertainment center, and 2) I put soft material beneath the front of the center so that the speaker is slightly tilted and pointing almost directly at my listening position.

You generally won't have a problem as long as you sit in the sweet spot. This affects those who sit relatively far from the sweet spot (to the left or to the right).

You generally won't have a problem as long as you sit in the sweet spot. This affects those who sit relatively far from the sweet spot (to the left or to the right).

One day we will all have lasers pointed into our ears and all these issues will go away  :P

I'll try that. It's a bit irritating that it depends so much on the source. Movies are so variable. Music is even worse because it's 3-4 mins at a time.

I'm thrown for a loop here. I watched a couple movies last night and the sound quality of my remaining klipsch were noticeably different. The center channel was super muddy, and I used to think they were crystal clear. It's the rc 62 version 2. I think Tom might be getting another call from me.

I'll take your muddy speakers from you for free :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

One day we will all have lasers pointed into our ears and all these issues will go away  :P

We might get that eventually. Bill Gates' mansion has occupant tracking though that supposedly makes sure that the sound follows you (keeping you in the "sweet spot" somewhat), together with your preferred room temperature and lighting. He's baked in a lot of home automation into that mansion.

We might get that eventually. Bill Gates' mansion has occupant tracking though that supposedly makes sure that the sound follows you (keeping you in the "sweet spot" somewhat), together with your preferred room temperature and lighting. He's baked in a lot of home automation in that mansion.

I mean, I would hope he has that... He spent over $50 million on it when he built it, and I'm sure he's been doing renovations/upgrades since.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I mean, I would hope he has that... He spent over $50 million on it when he built it, and I'm sure he's been doing renovations/upgrades since.

True. Who else can keep a whale shark in the living room?

True. Who else can keep a whale shark in the living room?

He has a whale shark in the living room?

I need to become rich...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I need to become rich...

Don't we all haha. I don't want a fish in my living room though. Now the reference from Despicable Me makes sense. The shark in Vector's house.

Don't we all haha. I don't want a fish in my living room though. Now the reference from Despicable Me makes sense. The shark in Vector's house.

Yeah, I would rather have a wolf or platypus.

Oh, I never picked up on that reference

I need to become rich...

He does, together with other huge marine creatures.

He does, together with other huge marine creatures.

That's nuts. I tried searching for it. There's a lot of different results and pictures. I wonder if any are real. I saw on the Discovery channel that whale sharks can grow over 40 feet/12 meters long. So maybe it's a dwarf or something a little more manageable. The dude is crazy.

Yeah, I would rather have a wolf or platypus.

Oh, I never picked up on that reference

I've always wanted a large fish in my backyard. Some big ass great white shark to be specific. One day I hope to go cage diving to see one in person. I'm looking forward to watching future documentaries in 4k or 8k.

I didn't pick up on the reference until I found out about Bill's attraction to large fish.

That's nuts. I tried searching for it. There's a lot of different results and pictures. I wonder if any are real. I saw on the Discovery channel that whale sharks can grow over 40 feet/12 meters long. So maybe it's a dwarf or something a little more manageable. The dude is crazy.

I've always wanted a large fish in my backyard. Some big ass great white shark to be specific. One day I hope to go cage diving to see one in person. I'm looking forward to watching future documentaries in 4k or 8k.

I would be scared to go cage diving, so close to sharks.

It would be pretty annoying to be Bill Gates and have such an extreme house. I mean... you have to upgrade your stuff and chase technology year after year.

But relative to his net worth, $50 million or so is actually a pretty humble estate value. I'm sure he owns other property though.

Yeah, they are huge creatures. I have a feeling that the whale shark is an exaggeration of his tank (and thus a hoax). Such an aquarium would be so costly to build and keep.

The Georgia aquarium that does have whale sharks costed $290M to build.

Male_whale_shark_at_Georgia_Aquarium.jpg

Yeah, they are huge creatures. I have a feeling that the whale shark is an exaggeration of his tank (and thus a hoax). Such an aquarium would be so costly to build and keep.

and even after 290M that one fish doesnt look too happy.

post-53826-0-26996300-1442686842.png

I feel like anything more than a few hundred for stereo speakers ought to be live demo'd before purchase

I mean, if you had read the thread, you'd see that the speakers have already been bought.

He is newish. It's quite a lengthy thread.

I feel like anything more than a few hundred for stereo speakers ought to be live demo'd before purchase

I totally agree. Most internet direct companies offer an audition period. PSA provides 30 days with free shipping both ways if you change your mind. I'm up to a week into my trial period and I seriously doubt I am sending these noise makers back. The sound, to my surprise, is shockingly clear. I have my Klipsch center turned up 5 dB over my fronts. And the center still can't keep up. What's funny is that they are both rated at 98 dB for sensitivity.

He is newish. It's quite a lengthy thread.

I totally agree. Most internet direct companies offer an audition period. PSA provides 30 days with free shipping both ways if you change your mind. I'm up to a week into my trial period and I seriously doubt I am sending these noise makers back. The sound, to my surprise, is shockingly clear. I have my Klipsch center turned up 5 dB over my fronts. And the center still can't keep up. What's funny is that they are both rated at 98 dB for sensitivity.

Wasn't in on the thread, but now I'm jelly.

Male_whale_shark_at_Georgia_Aquarium.jpg

Not to mention the pallets of crill he would need to stock just to feed the whale for one week.