What speakers for $2,000?

johnt

The noise is INSANE! I've never heard anything stay so clear at seriously high volumes. It's almost verging on "bright," but they don't distort.

And finally, my subwoofers mix very well with the MTM-210s.

I have some more pictures I'll share in the next couple of days.

The noise is INSANE! I've never heard anything stay so clear at seriously high volumes. It's almost verging on "bright," but they don't distort.

And finally, my subwoofers mix very well with the MTM-210s.

I have some more pictures I'll share in the next couple of days.

That's awesome! I am glad that you like them.

Did you mount the speakers or are they sitting on stands (or on your desk)? 

That's awesome! I am glad that you like them.

Did you mount the speakers or are they sitting on stands (or on your desk)? 

I put them on sitting stools for the time being. The cabinets are completely finished... no mounting holes of any sort, and I would prefer not to drill into the cabinet. I'll probably make some hybrid speaker stands soon. I need somewhere to place my receiver and computer.

I put them on sitting stools for the time being. The cabinets are completely finished... no mounting holes of any sort, and I would prefer not to drill into the cabinet. I'll probably make some hybrid speaker stands soon. I need somewhere to place my receiver and computer.

Get an htpc case for computer, then you can put it in a handy cabinet thing.

I got a nice home theater cabinet that fits my PC, receiver, and record player for 30$ at goodwiil

(Yes I do a lot of second hand shopping)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Get an htpc case for computer, then you can put it in a handy cabinet thing.

I got a nice home theater cabinet that fits my PC, receiver, and record player for 30$ at goodwiil

(Yes I do a lot of second hand shopping)

I do second hand shopping as well, even though it might not seem like it given this particular thread. However, I enjoy building my furniture pieces. I'm not sure if I do a great job, or if I save any money, but it's fun.

Unfortunately an HTPC case is not on the table for me. I have a 280mm radiator, two graphics cards, and a full sized ATX X99 board. First world problems. My next computer will be an ITX for sure. But that won't be for another 5 to 7 years.

I do second hand shopping as well, even though it might not seem like it given this particular thread. However, I enjoy building my furniture pieces. I'm not sure if I do a great job, or if I save any money, but it's fun.

Unfortunately an HTPC case is not on the table for me. I have a 280mm radiator, two graphics cards, and a full sized ATX X99 board. First world problems. My next computer will be an ITX for sure. But that won't be for another 5 to 7 years.

Well...

I have full atx, and I have a dual 180mm radiator :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well...

I have full atx, and I have a dual 180mm radiator :)

For some reason some ass hat blocked the pics on your thread. I'm gonna have to go back and scope out your water cooling pictures when I get home. Mine's is an AIO, but still.

For some reason some ass hat blocked the pics on your thread. I'm gonna have to go back and scope out your water cooling pictures when I get home. Mine's is an AIO, but still.

You could probably get the aio rad out of my case, as the back has a big thing that opens, the CPU block might fit through

You could probably get the aio rad out of my case, as the back has a big thing that opens, the CPU block might fit through

That doesn't sound like a horrible idea actually... that reminds me I need to clean the dust covering my radiator  :rolleyes:

Alright! Time to share some unboxing photos.

These speakers are remarkably... clear. They take a few days to adjust to, but nothing unusual. The sealed cabinet is a bit interesting. It houses one tweeter, but the dual 10-inch woofers produce nearly zero bass... maybe the highest of mid-bass... but that's pushing it. A subwoofer is required. These speakers are highs, higher highs, and mid-tones. They get SO loud and stay SO clear. It's very hard to say they sound bright... because they just don't. They stay clear.

Like a good car that provides confidence when you're driving fast... it just makes you want to drive faster... these speakers promote super loud volumes. I only fear one thing when turning up the volume... my hearing! 

Here are a few pics I took when I got home last week.

post-192300-0-06670800-1442375435_thumb.

post-192300-0-98256200-1442375438_thumb.

post-192300-0-48810200-1442375443_thumb.

post-192300-0-01033300-1442375447_thumb.

post-192300-0-13587300-1442375450_thumb.

That doesn't sound like a horrible idea actually... that reminds me I need to clean the dust covering my radiator :rolleyes:

I'll measure it, see if it's possible

Also, those look like some nice (and big) speakers

Alright! Time to share some unboxing photos.

These speakers are remarkably... clear. They take a few days to adjust to, but nothing unusual. The sealed cabinet is a bit interesting. It houses one tweeter, but the dual 10-inch woofers produce nearly zero bass... maybe the highest of mid-bass... but that's pushing it. A subwoofer is required. These speakers are highs, higher highs, and mid-tones. They get SO loud and stay SO clear. It's very hard to say they sound bright... because they just don't. They stay clear.

Like a good car that provides confidence when you're driving fast... it just makes you want to drive faster... these speakers promote super loud volumes. I only fear one thing when turning up the volume... my hearing! 

Here are a few pics I took when I got home last week.

Very nice! :)

The reduced bandwidth despite the substantial max displacement allows for high output levels with minimal distortion. The large woofer diaphragm area helps improve efficiency, while the limited dispersion helps focus the output (increasing intensity and reducing room interaction). 

Now you have a system that can belt out like your subwoofer.

I'll measure it, see if it's possible

Also, those look like some nice (and big) speakers

Thanks, man! I wish I could get some more. They fill my whole house with sound quite nicely.

Very nice! :)

The reduced bandwidth despite the substantial max displacement allows for high output levels with minimal distortion. The large woofer diaphragm area helps improve efficiency, while the limited dispersion helps focus the output (increasing intensity and reducing room interaction). 

Now you have a system that can belt out like your subwoofer.

That is well said! They are extremely directional, which is probably their biggest downside. They require symmetry, but not quite laser precision. I'm on the verge of upgrading the rest of my surrounds to match. Which would be about another $3,500... plus a new receiver. My poor wife haha. It's okay... I'm pretty sure movies are better with good sound. Some people spend way too much on a display and then toss a sound bar underneath. I'm the opposite. My tv is a 2008 era 1080p Samsung. Still looks amazing! And now the sound is explosive on a louder level  :D I feel like a kid!

I'm trying to connect my main receiver to another receiver so I can have better control of the bass. I suspect this is similar to using a pre-amp, but I don't want to take any risks. Most of you are much more knowledgeable than I, so please let me know what you all think of this setup. Especially any risks, extreme loss of quality, etc.

I would use Receiver B almost exclusively if it had HDMI, but sadly it does not. And Receiver B has separate inputs for each channel, so the LFE/sub-out from Receiver A would plug directly into there, and then sub-out from Receiver B to some gnarly subwoofers.

post-192300-0-72373200-1442498319.png

I'm confused, why not just use a?

What is b doing if you are just using the sub out on it?

Also, on another note, what size are those woofers on your new speakers?

EDIT; 10"...

my sub is 8"

I'm trying to connect my main receiver to another receiver so I can have better control of the bass. I suspect this is similar to using a pre-amp, but I don't want to take any risks. Most of you are much more knowledgeable than I, so please let me know what you all think of this setup. Especially any risks, extreme loss of quality, etc.

I would use Receiver B almost exclusively if it had HDMI, but sadly it does not. And Receiver B has separate inputs for each channel, so the LFE/sub-out from Receiver A would plug directly into there, and then sub-out from Receiver B to some gnarly subwoofers.

Can't you just adjust the sub level on Receiver A?

Adding Receiver B in that configuration will be like running a preamp, yes. As long as Receiver B does not do additional processing on the multi-channel inputs, then you shouldn't expect much of a degradation from its insertion.

I'm confused, why not just use a?

What is b doing if you are just using the sub out on it?

Also, on another note, what size are those woofers on your new speakers?

EDIT; 10"...

my sub is 8"

I was hoping to use B to increase the amplification. I wanted a serious slam without turning up the main and surround speakers. My buddies are coming over to watch Jurrassic Park next week, and I want my neighbors to feel it when the t-rex appears.

And yes they are dual 10" on each speaker. They produce absolutely zero bass though.

Can't you just adjust the sub level on Receiver A?

Adding Receiver B in that configuration will be like running a preamp, yes. As long as Receiver B does not do additional processing on the multi-channel inputs, then you shouldn't expect much of a degradation from its insertion.

I had to turn B up all the way to even hear the bass. It seemed to be acting like a pass through instead of a secondary amplification. Secretly I was trying to increase the slam from my subs while maintaining a reasonable volume on my speakers. I also thought it would help fine tune the bass volume a little faster, but yes adjusting the sub on received A is an alternative method.

I had to turn B up all the way to even hear the bass. It seemed to be acting like a pass through instead of a secondary amplification. Secretly I was trying to increase the slam from my subs while maintaining a reasonable volume on my speakers. I also thought it would help fine tune the bass volume a little faster, but yes adjusting the sub on received A is an alternative method.

Like a preamp, it will work mostly as an attenuator until you get to a very high volume setting.

Have you tried raising the gain on the plate amps?

Like a preamp, it will work mostly as an attenuator until you get to a very high volume setting.

Have you tried raising the gain on the plate amps?

Definitely did. They get out of control really fast... the knob is extremely sensitive and only half an inch in diameter. It's a bit sloppy as far as I'm concerned. I was hoping Receicer B would provide a finer interval to tune volume in addition to more amplification.

Definitely did. They get out of control really fast... the knob is extremely sensitive and only half an inch in diameter. It's a bit sloppy as far as I'm concerned. I was hoping Receicer B would provide a finer interval to tune volume in addition to more amplification.

Try playing with the sub level on Receiver A to see if you can find a suitable setting. Staying on the hot side on the receiver end and cool on the amp end may improve SNR (as long as you don't get into clipping issues).

Try playing with the sub level on Receiver A to see if you can find a suitable setting. Staying on the hot side on the receiver end and cool on the amp end may improve SNR (as long as you don't get into clipping issues).

I'll try that. It's a bit irritating that it depends so much on the source. Movies are so variable. Music is even worse because it's 3-4 mins at a time.

I'm thrown for a loop here. I watched a couple movies last night and the sound quality of my remaining klipsch were noticeably different. The center channel was super muddy, and I used to think they were crystal clear. It's the rc 62 version 2. I think Tom might be getting another call from me.

I'll try that. It's a bit irritating that it depends so much on the source. Movies are so variable. Music is even worse because it's 3-4 mins at a time.

I'm thrown for a loop here. I watched a couple movies last night and the sound quality of my remaining klipsch were noticeably different. The center channel was super muddy, and I used to think they were crystal clear. It's the rc 62 version 2. I think Tom might be getting another call from me.

I just stick with a certain setting that is close to correct with my sonic preference built-in. Variance between materials can be ignored as they were all mixed and mastered differently.

Just set your system a certain way that is forgiving of most materials and don't sweat it. :)

Tom would be very happy with that. Voice-match the front set at the very least so that you can have a nice and consistent front stage. If your screen is high enough to fit an MTM-210 (vertically oriented) underneath, that'd be nice. If not, then an MTM-210C (horizontally oriented) should do.

I just stick with a certain setting that is close to correct with my sonic preference built-in. Variance between materials can be ignored as they were all mixed and mastered differently.

Just set your system a certain way that is forgiving of most materials and don't sweat it. :)

Tom would be very happy with that. Voice-match the front set at the very least so that you can have a nice and consistent front stage. If your screen is high enough to fit an MTM-210 (vertically oriented) underneath, that'd be nice. If not, then an MTM-210C (horizontally oriented) should do.

I was planning on a MTM-210c... but placing a MTM-210 vertically looks a little odd to me. What would be the benefit of a vertical 210 instead of a horizontal 210c?

Because of how large the 210's are, I was planning on rotating the tweeters and laying all three horizontally. The 110sr is calling out to me, but holy CRAP $575 is a lot of cash for a single rear speaker. Although I do enjoy listening to music up-mixed to 5 channels.

I was planning on a MTM-210c... but placing a MTM-210 vertically looks a little odd to me. What would be the benefit of a vertical 210 instead of a horizontal 210c?

Because of how large the 210's are, I was planning on rotating the tweeters and laying all three horizontally. The 110sr is calling out to me, but holy CRAP $575 is a lot of cash for a single rear speaker. Although I do enjoy listening to music up-mixed to 5 channels.

The vertical orientation results in a wider sweet spot. You get significant comb filtering from horizontal units if you sit off-axis.

Timbre-matched surrounds definitely help, but not nearly as much as a timbre-matched front stage (unless you listen to multi-channel music tracks, which normally aren't built for home theater setups).