Hacked over steam market?

Kermit

Dear mods, this didn't really fall into any category that I could think of (more of a valve/steam market issue, not a game issue), so I'm placing it here. Feel free to move if you wish.

SO. My friend has a damn good inventory, probably worth over $1k. The thing is, he logged in this morning and noticed that his Desert Eagle Blaze was missing from his inventory. So he checked his steam transactions, and it showed that it had been sold earlier for $1, but it was easily worth $20+. He didn't sell it, and was asleep while it happened. 

I built his dank-ass PC, so he naturally asked me for help and was wondering if someone had used a Remote Access Tool (RAT as he called it) to access his PC and sell the skin. This seems odd, due to how there were far more valuable items than that $20 skin. He is absolutely positive that nobody in his house or friend group did it, and only he knows the password to his computer. 

Seems odd doesn't it? Or has this happened before? A glitch maybe?

Thanks,

-mlgKermit

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Run a virus check, seems fishy.

Ask him if hes clicked anything out of the ordinary recently because if he has, it may be a phish bot or something like that.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

My friend's had similar things happen but but he quit the client and changed his password online. It seemed to fix it.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Run a virus check, seems fishy.

Ask him if hes clicked anything out of the ordinary recently because if he has, it may be a phish bot or something like that.

He has malwarebytes... will that clear up anything malicious?

EDIT: He's already scanned 3 times, nothing.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Does your friend use Steam Guard? If not, get him to set up. This should prevent people from logging it from an untrusted source. Unless they also have access to his email account.

As for scanning, use free online scanning tools. The ones on your computer might already be compromised if you had the app prior to the infection. 

Sounds like it could be a keylogger that might have gotten installed.

Does your friend use Steam Guard? If not, get him to set up. This should prevent people from logging it from an untrusted source. Unless they also have access to his email account.

As for scanning, use free online scanning tools. The ones on your computer might already be compromised if you had the app prior to the infection. 

Sounds like it could be a keylogger that might have gotten installed.

Yes, he has the two step verification (email verify and verify on phone)

Any free software to search for keyloggers, or does malwarebytes do that?

Same thing item got traded away without owners knowledge, except this mofo lost his knife. You should change your password and everything, can't be a keylogger because if he had access to your friends account than im sure more than a deagle blaze would be missing. Cause is unknown for this so if I were your friend I would just reset my account and reinstall windows and everything.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

well, it seems that I am getting a certain vibe from your profile pic, and I somehow think that your friend was just tripping balls from the tripper-snipper that he had done an hour before.