External vs internal sound card

Langdon
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Oh I didn't see that, whoops lol. I'll be getting a DAC instead of an amp if I only have to get one because ATH M50s are pretty low impedance. 

I'll look at more FiiO stuff. Thanks a lot. :)

No, see, you can't do that. DACs have line level output, which wont drive any headphones, and you wont have volume control. A portable DAC needs to include an amp, period. Sometimes that detail is in the fine print, but still. ;)

Hey, guys. Don't know if there was already a topic on this but after a quick search I didn't really find anything.

So my question is, would an external sound card sound as good as an internal for the same price? Would you recommend one over the other?

I mostly listen to music on my desktop so 90% of my music listening is there. 10% would be on my laptop or cellphone. I assume there are sound cards (DACs?) that you can plug a cellphone into to listen to, though I don't know if it will affect battery usage very much. Also would it be too bulky to carry around in a pocket? Pockets in women's jeans are quite tiny so that might be a problem.

I'm leaning toward internal sound card right now but if an external has the same sound for the same price, maybe I'll get an external.

Thanks for any responses. :)

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Hey, guys. Don't know if there was already a topic on this but after a quick search I didn't really find anything.

So my question is, would an external sound card sound as good as an internal for the same price? Would you recommend one over the other?

I mostly listen to music on my desktop so 90% of my music listening is there. 10% would be on my laptop or cellphone. I assume there are sound cards (DACs?) that you can plug a cellphone into to listen to, though I don't know if it will affect battery usage very much. Also would it be too bulky to carry around in a pocket? Pockets in women's jeans are quite tiny so that might be a problem.

I'm leaning toward internal sound card right now but if an external has the same sound for the same price, maybe I'll get an external.

Thanks for any responses. :)

For a good external DAC/Amp thing, check out Fiio's stuff. Also digizoid zoh 2. If it were me, I'd get this for my desktop: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I stopped using internal soundcards about 2000. I have since used and external soundcard (creative labs). I have yet to plug it into  a set of speakers/headphones and think "I need to upgrade" . It is not the best out there but there are far better things to spend your money on. 

Go with an external, you can use it on your laptop, netbook, mates computer. You won't need drivers or driver updates. And you have much less chance of interference from other parts inside the case.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

External

Pros:

- essentially free from interference

- can easily be plugged into another device

- no need for shitty drivers

- portable

Cons:

- none

Internal

Pros:

- none

Cons:

- generally shitty drivers

- can't be used with laptops

- more prone to interference

- usually don't sound as good

- usually don't have great amplification ability

There is hardly any advantage to carrying an amplifier/DAC around with you, you can have a more than ample set up without these. If you are really that concered about mobile listening quality, fine, but it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

There is hardly any advantage to carrying an amplifier/DAC around with you, you can have a more than ample set up without these. If you are really that concered about mobile listening quality, fine, but it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Don't tell that to head-fi:

500x1000px-LL-b46c906a_photo10.jpeg

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

For a good external DAC/Amp thing, check out Fiio's stuff. Also digizoid zoh 2. If it were me, I'd get this for my desktop: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Fi-Man-EF2A-Tube-Headphone/dp/B004357WL8

Yeah I've heard good things about Fiio, that's a bit pricey for me though. :P

I stopped using internal soundcards about 2000. I have since used and external soundcard (creative labs). I have yet to plug it into  a set of speakers/headphones and think "I need to upgrade" . It is not the best out there but there are far better things to spend your money on. 

Go with an external, you can use it on your laptop, netbook, mates computer. You won't need drivers or driver updates. And you have much less chance of interference from other parts inside the case.

Why did you stop using them? And what external would you suggest?

External

Pros:

- portable

Cons:

- none

Internal

Pros:

- none

Cons:

So externals are clearly better haha. So you suggest not bothering with a mobile DAC? And just to have one for my computer? Which external would you suggest?

What in the world LOL

Thanks for the responses, guys! Is the ASUS Xonar U3 a good external soundcard?

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Why did you stop using them? And what external would you suggest?

I stopped using them because they offered no discernible audio quality to either the onboard or to the external I already have. I am currently using a soundblaster digital music from 2006. It has S/PDIF line in and line out plus headphone with volume control.  At 16bit it certainly isn't the latest and greatest but Its latency is easily as low as some commercial recording interfaces.  I can't recommend what I haven't used but if this unit dies on me I will be looking at the SB digital music premium HD or if I don't want line in I'd probably go will the something more basic like the fiio or similar.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

External

Pros:

- portable

Cons:

- none

Internal

Pros:

- none

Cons:

All the best reasons have pretty much been listed.

top lel

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Thanks for the responses, guys! Is the ASUS Xonar U3 a good external soundcard?

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/asus-u3-dac.html

BOTTOM LINE: Both the Asus U3 and Creative X-Fi Go are well ahead of the other three similar C-Media based DACs I recently tested. Both the U3 and X-Fi also challenge the previous low cost benchmark—the Behringer UCA202. But the U3 and X-Fi have some significant differences. The much higher output level of the U3 into 600+ ohms gives it a big advantage in dynamic range driving a line input and in driving 200+ ohm headphones directly. While the X-Fi has a lower output impedance, superior frequency response, and much better DAC filtering than the U3. If I wanted a DAC to drive a headphone amp where I would control the volume from the amp I would easily choose the X-Fi. The same is true for powered speakers, etc. If I wanted to use the a software volume control, or drive 200+ ohm headphones directly, such as my Sennheiser HD650s, I’d choose the U3 for its higher output and much better dynamic range despite the high frequency problems.

Alright thanks. :) I'll choose between those two when I get the money then.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Can you guys also suggest a portable DAC that I could carry around with me to use with my cellphone? That'd be awesome. :) I can spent up to $80 on that, it'd be best if I could use it with both my computer and my cellphone. I assume USB DACs can't be used with my phone.

Over budget, but the only one I know of atm: http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376090296&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+e7k

Pretty sure portable DACs only work with iPhones, so it'd just work as an amp if you have any other phone.

Only works with iPhones? Dang :( Alright thanks. Does the E7K work just as well as a USB DAC?

Only works with iPhones? Dang :( Alright thanks. Does the E7K work just as well as a USB DAC?

Yep. :( iPhones have a digital out function with their fancy proprietary connectors.

Yep! :)

Edit: I just did read some reviews that say it will work as a USB DAC with android phones, but you may need to mess around with certain kernals if your phone doesn't support it. Seems like it's up to the software if it'll support it right away.

Yep. :( iPhones have a digital out function with their fancy proprietary connectors.

Yep! :)

Edit: I just did read some reviews that say it will work as a USB DAC with android phones, but you may need to mess around with certain kernals if your phone doesn't support it. Seems like it's up to the software if it'll support it right away.

Oh I see, though if I kept my micro usb cable in my phone in my pocket it'd probably break within a day haha. 

Can you suggest another DAC under $80? I know I could search them up myself but I want a starting point in my search. :) Hope I'm not being a bother!

Oh I see, though if I kept my micro usb cable in my phone in my pocket it'd probably break within a day haha. 

Can you suggest another DAC under $80? I know I could search them up myself but I want a starting point in my search. :) Hope I'm not being a bother!

Already said I don't know of any others! :P Don't know of any at or under budget, nor small enough to be good with a phone, nor with an amp.

FiiO does make other small DACs for home theater uses and small portable amps for headphones - maybe look at getting just an amp?

Already said I don't know of any others! :P Don't know of any at or under budget, nor small enough to be good with a phone, nor with an amp.

FiiO does make other small DACs for home theater uses and small portable amps for headphones - maybe look at getting just an amp?

Oh I didn't see that, whoops lol. I'll be getting a DAC instead of an amp if I only have to get one because ATH M50s are pretty low impedance. 

No, see, you can't do that. DACs have line level output, which wont drive any headphones, and you wont have volume control. A portable DAC needs to include an amp, period. Sometimes that detail is in the fine print, but still. ;)

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me before I went out and bought something haha. Okay I guess I'll save up money for both then. 

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me before I went out and bought something haha. Okay I guess I'll save up money for both then. 

And just to triple check you understand what I mean, the FiiO E7/k, E17, and E10 are all USB DACs, but also include an amplifier in each. :)

And just to triple check you understand what I mean, the FiiO E7/k, E17, and E10 are all USB DACs, but also include an amplifier in each. :)

Yeah I got it. Thanks so much for your help. :)

yes, 

and something to consider

e10 is just a dac or dac+amp (doesn't have a line in, only usb)

e7 and e17 are amp or dac+amp(doesn't have line out unless you use the e9)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

yes, 

and something to consider

e10 is just a dac or dac+amp (doesn't have a line in, only usb)

e7 and e17 are amp or dac+amp(doesn't have line out unless you use the e9)

Okay I see. :)

You guys have been a lot of help! I'll be going out and getting http://www.headphonebar.com/fiio-e07k-andes/ when I have the money. 

Also, albaoegbuoahbfpogabpibfpagbf!

Just kidding, no need to shove too much info down your throat.  :lol: