HP Stream

Best Buy: http://bit.ly/1fH08Qu

Lenovo Yoga 3

Best Buy: http://bit.ly/1PzeS0i

MSI GE62 Apache Pro

Best Buy: http://bit.ly/1UeA39e

Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Best Buy: http://bit.ly/1VcA0Nw

Check out Linus' picks for the Top 4 laptops for your #BestCollege experience available at Best Buy. Let us know which one suits you best in the comments below. Go to http://www.bestbuy.com/bestcollege for more!

I'm not embarrassed for my comment on the video :P

But am I ashamed for hitting both of the first comments? A little.

Anywho, hopefully this helps people avoid the rip-offs that commonly happen at this time of year.

no ux305 linus, really, really, really, really? also supprised to not see a xps device there. does it have to do with only sold from best buy

and to people really looking for good devices look at the microsoft store, great deals there and students get 10% off

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Good concept for a video!! 

I'm hoping to get a laptop with a GTX 960m, but that's hard here in aus with the potato prices!

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

THANK YOU curently helping my roommate on upgrading his ram yay no rip off getting a chromebook when he has a good i3 pc that works but is memory hogged 

EDIT: THIS WAS SPONSORED BY BEST BUY O_O

the last two videos didn't go on vessel early? what is this

sponsored videos do not get a release that is with extra time since they need them to be out now.... like this video a lot of students are upgrading and they need to know this noooooooow and they also get paid for this so a helpful video + sponsor = same day release 

So like, why didn't ya'll grab a laptop with an A10 APU in it just to check up on AMD's mobile performance? I'd imagine it's going to be able to game better than a comparable intel CPU, it'd pobably be useful for games such as Dota 2 and CS:GO. the top carrizo chip is the 8800p

The Carrizo laptops are out right?

If anyone has any info on them I'm struggling to find proper reviews, guess it's an incredibly slow launch.

The main problem with most AMD laptops is that OEMs give them 786 TN displays all the time for some reason.

You also should have totally throw in one of the 100 dollar windows 8 tablets, my HP stream 7 works suprisingly well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Best laptops are used business models. Like HP Elitebook, Dell Latitude or IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. For example here in Poland 350$ can get you something like HP 2570p or 8470p. Usually they are as good as new! And they are sturdier than any cheap plastic laptop available in shop in this price range.

Could anyone please explain to me the upload schedule at the moment? The last two days Youtube videos have been new on Vessel as well and videos like the Ultimaker review still haven't gone up on Youtube? I am very confused haha

You forgot X250 / 260.

You forgot MBPs. I've you've ever been to scientific conferences, most ppl use MBPs in my experience.

Gaming laptops? Really?

Jesus' Titts.... This is a pure commercial.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Linus gone totally wrong with this one.
''Gaming laptop'' trend doesn't mean that student needs a 1500 dollar gaming laptop because he wants to play CSGO at lectures.No.This trend is bullshit.I am suprised that Linus didn't mentioned Dell XPS series,MacBook/MBA or Lenovo X or T series.Or even Chromebooks with possibility to transform it to a lightweight Linux machines.In my opinion,student doesn't have 1500 for trendy computer and doesn't need to.Student needs lightweight laptop,which he can carry around and take some notes.For me,Surface Pro(because of stylus and OneNote thingy) and HP Stream made sense to me.

I have to say I seriously liked the picks. They would indeed be my same picks, especially that Yoga 3 with the i5 (and not the Core M).

They are time constrained video's and needed to be up publicly by a certain date.

You forgot X250 / 260.

You forgot MBPs. I've you've ever been to scientific conferences, most ppl use MBPs in my experience.

Gaming laptops? Really?

Jesus' Titts.... This is a pure commercial.

I don't get this response as those were all sold choices with good reasoning behind each.

MacBook wouldn't be my choice. I rather have a ThinkPad but I'm a enthusiast, not Linus's main audience. Also try and think why they have MacBook's even though there are great alternatives.

Linus gone totally wrong with this one.

''Gaming laptop'' trend doesn't mean that student needs a 1500 dollar gaming laptop because he wants to play CSGO at lectures.No.This trend is bullshit.I am suprised that Linus didn't mentioned Dell XPS series,MacBook/MBA or Lenovo X or T series.Or even Chromebooks with possibility to transform it to a lightweight Linux machines.In my opinion,student doesn't have 1500 for trendy computer and doesn't need to.Student needs lightweight laptop,which he can carry around and take some notes.For me,Surface Pro(because of stylus and OneNote thingy) and HP Stream made sense to me.

He picked a gaming laptop, yes a single one. And I agree with the thin and light choice 970m could be a 960m but if you actually plan to use it for gaming your goona want a good experience. Umm you shouldn't game during class, like really if your going to do that why be there...

The Yoga 3 took the premium spot. And in my opinion the stream is a better choice than any chrome book since you get a real OS.

The main reason for no thinkpads is best buy doesn't sell them through their consumer facing channel. But a yoga is the next best thing.

Also ill agree a student doesn't need a gaming laptop but there are many that want just that. Personally I'd still much rather have my desktop and then something light with decent power. (X1 Carbon why can't you have 16GB of ram?)

The fact that this list makes no mention of anything from Apple makes me think that LTT is pretty out of touch.  This is the only "best of" laptop list that I've seen in years that doesn't include some kind of MacBook.  They make amazing student computers, especially if you already have an iPhone (which accounts for a huge chunk of North America and an even higher percentage of students if firsthand observations mean anything (yes, I know they don't haha)) if only because of the smooth-as-hell integration of cloud services across devices.  Apple makes some seriously multitasking-friendly laptops due to the trackpad gestures that are available in OS X.  The build quality is top notch for anyone who's throwing laptops/notebooks into backpacks and such.  Also, the included software e.g. iMovie, Pages, GarageBand has made a couple school projects go way smoother than if I were using something else.  Oh yeah, the battery life is great too.

I really nearly did a spit take when I saw Surface Pro 3 on this list and not MacBook Air, lol.

The fact that this list makes no mention of anything from Apple makes me think that LTT is pretty out of touch. This is the only "best of" laptop list that I've seen in years that doesn't include some kind of MacBook. They make amazing student computers, especially if you already have an iPhone (which accounts for a huge chunk of North America and an even higher percentage of students if firsthand observations mean anything (yes, I know they don't haha)) if only because of the smooth-as-hell integration of cloud services across devices. Apple makes some seriously multitasking-friendly laptops due to the trackpad gestures that are available in OS X. The build quality is top notch for anyone who's throwing laptops/notebooks into backpacks and such. Also, the included software e.g. iMovie, Pages, GarageBand has made a couple school projects go way smoother than if I were using something else. Oh yeah, the battery life is great too.

I really nearly did a spit take when I saw Surface Pro 3 on this list and not MacBook Air, lol.

Right now the whole MacBook line is in disarray. The air can have decent specs but you still get a very poor screen.

Also one would have to be accustomed to OSX. If there were they probably wouldn't even be looking at anything else, basically no need to advertise.

Also I still find power user things lacking. They hide stuff on purpose idk widow management too. Also how it handles files is just not as good.

OS aside the Yoga 3 offers more than the Air for less with similar if not better build.

First i thought why didn't he talk about amazon affiliation link, then it hit me. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I know that this specifically was for new purchases, but honestly, if you're shopping in the 200-300 bucks pricerange you should just pick up a used business laptop. Not only will they last you longer (since they're not built to fail within 2 years) but they should also provide flat out better specs. I picked up a Thinkpad T-500 for 200 bucks, core2-m dualcore, 4GB of ram (I don't see how anyone would be okay with 2GB of ram on windows) and a 1680x1050 screen (basically identical to 1080p when it comes to work and school). Seems like a way better deal than the HP stream. 

Also, recommending anything from lenovo nowadays (that isn't a business laptop) is also pretty weird to me, with malware pre-installed (and sometimes being unable to remove it, even after a new installation of windows) it is absolutely not worth it. No matter how good the machine is, there should be something similar for the price that doesn't compromise your security and privacy. 

What about the Asus Eeebook x205ta. yes it doesn't have a large screen but the build quality and keyboard are great. Also it very light

I know that this specifically was for new purchases, but honestly, if you're shopping in the 200-300 bucks pricerange you should just pick up a used business laptop. Not only will they last you longer (since they're not built to fail within 2 years) but they should also provide flat out better specs. I picked up a Thinkpad T-500 for 200 bucks, core2-m dualcore, 4GB of ram (I don't see how anyone would be okay with 2GB of ram on windows) and a 1680x1050 screen (basically identical to 1080p when it comes to work and school). Seems like a way better deal than the HP stream. 

Same here for me.Picked up Lenovo X201 with 3GB ram,160GB HDD and i5 for about 160 euros.Installed SSD and fresh W7 install,then upgraded to W10.Works like a charm and I am happy about it.I think it's better deal than any new netbook for 200 euros.Only reason why you should not pick up used business netbook/laptop instead of new netbook is that you don't trust the seller.Personal preference.

Same here for me.Picked up Lenovo X201 with 3GB ram,160GB HDD and i5 for about 160 euros.Installed SSD and fresh W7 install,then upgraded to W10.Works like a charm and I am happy about it.I think it's better deal than any new netbook for 200 euros.Only reason why you should not pick up used business netbook/laptop instead of new netbook is that you don't trust the seller.Personal preference.

Sure, that's always a potential problem. But just going for well-reviewed sellers and making sure that the laptop is in good condition eliminates most of these problems. My T-500 came in excellent condition, but the battery was dead. I contacted the seller and he refunded me 20 bucks, enough to buy a new battery. Most ebay sellers are absolutely terrified of negative reviews, coupled with good buyers protection you're basically on the safe side when it comes to ebay. 

I literally just ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad yoga 14 just before this video went live,  its the business class brother to the yoga 3 14, i would have gone with the yoga 3 but I managed to find the thinkpad for less due to a pricing stuff up. I considered the MSI GE62 with 960m but chose portability over power because i've noticed people with lighter laptops game more in class vs those with heavy gaming laptops because they don't even bother bringing them, I find myself playing casual games like rocket league and besieged rather than hardcore FPS not because my laptop cant handle it but because im usually multitasking, most people would rather do their 'hardcore' gaming on a desktop or console. I think a lot of students will happily spend $1500+ on a laptop, every lecture theater (except IT :) ) is basically a wall of 13" macbooks

I bought this hp laptop for ($446) my start of the college life. It literally CAN'T be beat for its price and premium features. Only caveats are that the 8750m drivers only work with windows 8, and you need to use throttlestop on the cpu when in games. 

Although I was tempted to get a surface or an hp stream-like device, I think this is MY perfect laptop for college!

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Best Lists are always the same, of course you could pick out your own Best List, but then it wouldn't be Linus' Best List, it would be YOUR Best List.

But yeah, surprised not to see Dell XPS or MacBook Pro hitting the list. Maybe on a longer list they would have. In terms of "college" use, battery runtime is often paramount and both of those are heavy-hitters. Best Buy also sells both.

In terms of the "gaming" choice I would have leaned towards a GTX960M model if it's also for "college use." I mean, really, you shouldn't even be hooked on a gaming machine at college or you're going to have a bad time... You'll probably also get better battery life. And although the 970M and 980M stomp the 960M... the 960M is quite a bit cheaper, and games at 1920x1080 in modern games with ease. My buddy just got the MSI GE72 Apache-235 and while it's HUGE and I don't recommend the form factor, it's got the kind of specs I'm talking about. i7-5700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD with SSD upgrade space, GTX960M. Very very good performance without slipping too far into the "I just go to school to keep gaming" slope.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD