AMD Hawaii, Launched in Hawaii on Sept 25

xAcid9

i think two 9950s will beat the 7990....the 9970 will probably be just under the 7990 specs but e close to its current £700 price tag........

my guess

9970 = £600

9950 = £450-500

either way i wont have enough to get either one anytime soon... :(

-Anubikai

With 375w TDP 7990 had, 2x overclocked 7950s could outperform it anytime.  :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

With 375w TDP 7990 had, 2x overclocked 7950s could outperform it anytime.  :ph34r:

really? am i better off just buying another 7950 and using the extra money for a custom loop? 7950s are stupid cheap right now and they are only gonna get cheaper....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

buys a 9970 with 4gb of vram
use it with vga cable :D 1440x900 and constant 75fps for me :D
lol i will have around 2.7gb of vram just chilling :3

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

buys a 9970 with 4gb of vram

use it with vga cable :D 1440x900 and constant 75fps for me :D

lol i will have around 2.7gb of vram just chilling :3

You can't be serious. You will bottleneck the GPU so badly with that resolution.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

You can't be serious. You will bottleneck the GPU so badly with that resolution.

how it will bottleneck? its not like theres a res that is a must to use

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

how it will bottleneck? its not like theres a res that is a must to use

Well, you won't make use of the GPU? For example, GTX 770 SLI performs equal to GTX 780 SLI @ 1080p in most games. Because you don't use the full power of the 780 in that resolution.

Benchmarks: http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/17074-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770/10#pagehead - Same result in most games, 770 SLI performs as good as 780 SLI. This was just an example.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Well, you won't make use of the GPU? For example, GTX 770 SLI performs equal to GTX 780 SLI @ 1080p in most games. Because you don't use the full power of the 780 in that resolution.

Benchmarks: http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/17074-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770/10#pagehead - Same result in most games, 770 SLI performs as good as 780 SLI. This was just an example.

yeah ok but im gonna still buy the 9970 and use it on my current monitor

a new monitor is in the bottom of my list

yeah ok but im gonna still buy the 9970 and use it on my current monitor

a new monitor is in the bottom of my list

Hey, It's not like I'm the one wasting money.

You go ahead and do what you wish.

Hey, It's not like I'm the one wasting money.

You go ahead and do what you wish.

did i say that i has 3 1440x900 monitors :p

AMD will have a HUGE advantage over others because they are in the consoles so every game will be much more optimezed for AMD even if the card is 1% faster or slower than 780 it will run games better ;)

Don't new consoles have APU's in them? I believe someone made a topic about this and tons of people said the optimization won't make a big difference considering the hardware is different from the consoles to the PC

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Don't new consoles have APU's in them? I believe someone made a topic about this and tons of people said the optimization won't make a big difference considering the hardware is different from the consoles to the PC

I do not.... remember that happening?

Basically, the optimizations will be to make sure that games use more than 1 core. That applies for ALL games. The optimizations for the APU, specifically, would likely only apply to OpenCL, other advanced AMD features (TressFX), and other APUs, but nothing else.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Great, I can't wait to see how these perform. I've been debating about trying to crossfire my 7950 after the recent fix, but if the new generation performs like a bawss... might just sell the 7950 and get a new card... Or just wait it out for another release cycle :P I'm cheap, but I love me some new GPUs...

Cant wait will buy the 9970 if its cheaper than the 780 which i'm hoping for, need something to power my new 1440p display

FUKİN CAMARON SAİD İT THE GOD SAİD İT GODDAMİT!!

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Tsp doesn't mean anything, you know that right. The 7970's in it were HIGHLY binned. You can't have 2 GHz edition 7970s perform worse than 2 900mhz 7950s. No way

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Well, you won't make use of the GPU? For example, GTX 770 SLI performs equal to GTX 780 SLI @ 1080p in most games. Because you don't use the full power of the 780.

Its not because your using the full power, it's due to vram limitations

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Its not because your using the full power, it's due to vram limitations

False. How is VRAM the limit when 780 has 3 GB?

False. How is VRAM the limit when 780 has 3 GB?

3gb can't ultra + highest AA crysis 3 at 5760x1080, :(

@Vitalius  I'll try and find the topic, I think a mod quoted the guy that made it and gave his 2 cents on the whole optimization thing. I will search for you sir :D

here friend http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/43230-console-optimizations-already-boosting-the-performance-of-cpus-on-the-pc/?hl=optimization#entry564306

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

!!!! YEAH! Can't wait! :)

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3gb can't ultra + highest AA crysis 3 at 5760x1080, :(

@Vitalius  I'll try and find the topic, I think a mod quoted the guy that made it and gave his 2 cents on the whole optimization thing. I will search for you sir :D

here friend http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/43230-console-optimizations-already-boosting-the-performance-of-cpus-on-the-pc/?hl=optimization#entry564306

This quote:

Multi threaded optimization and optimization coming to FX CPU's because they are the same architectures are different things and for the most part untrue.

The planetside 2 devs have been working on AMD optimisation for a while before PS4 and Xbone announced they were using AMD APU's in their systems.

Well, I personally disagree with it. Consoles are in development for long periods of time, just like games, only longer. Planetside 2 is owned by Sony Online Entertainment. So I am fairly certain they would know long before anyone else what system they would be on and what they should be developing for/focusing on.

As for the difference between FX CPU's and multi-threaded optimization, in the most basic form of common sense, that statement fails. What makes FX CPU's lag behind is the way their architecture is set up. It is specifically built for multi-threaded programs. If multi-threading is becoming more optimized, logically, FX CPU's will gain in performance for that explicit reason. 

Say what you will, but that statement he makes just doesn't make sense to me and so I disagree with it.

The Planetside 2 devs literally said that the reason the game was so CPU bound is because everything in it was running on one thread. They also said (paraphrased) that they were essentially taking it apart so that it could be run parallel on multiple threads to improve it. Which implies to me that the game will run better on an FX CPU considering that is what the architecture specializes in: Multi-threading.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@Vitalius

Well essentially an APU works differently than a gpu/cpu correct? The way it handles stuff? or is it the same?  Idk a lot bout apu's lol

@Vitalius

Well essentially an APU works differently than a gpu/cpu correct? The way it handles stuff? or is it the same?  Idk a lot bout apu's lol

Well, the CPU side of an APU essentially handles things the same. But that is irrelevant. 

What is being optimized is the games. And they are being optimized to offload more work over more cores. Meaning this type of optimization is not explicitly for the APU but for the CPU side of the APU since it has 8 cores. 

What I mean is that these optimizations are not unique and do not only apply to an APU. I am willing to bet there are APU specific optimizations that only apply for them on the consoles and lower tier gaming PCs, but those are likely directed at the GPU side of the APU.

The way Planetside 2 devs described what they were doing to optimize the game for more cores implies, to me, that it is something that all CPUs can benefit from. And something that FX CPUs will especially benefit from since it is multi-threading, which FX CPUs are meant to specialize at with the way their architecture is set up. 

I could very well be wrong. I very much doubt I am.

† Christian Member †

Tsp doesn't mean anything, you know that right. The 7970's in it were HIGHLY binned. You can't have 2 GHz edition 7970s perform worse than 2 900mhz 7950s. No way

Yet, 2x 7970s outperform by quite a margin against 7990. Why is that? Also, i said an overclocked 7950s, around 1100mhz perhaps?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Will they be releasing the whole new gen of cards (9xxx series) or just be releasing one flagship card to go against the Titan ?