My terrible experience with Dell.

NickB

Dell is horrible. Not that anyone cares, but here's my wonderful Dell adventure:

I bought a Inspiron back in 2011, and dammnn, I don't even know where to start.

First of all, like you, it took a month to get here.

Second, it worked great until my warranty ran out. A few weeks later I started having very annoying problems.

1. The left click turned into right click and right click did nothing. Had to start using a mouse. Wtf.

2. The keys brake so easily. Don't even think about taking a key off for any reason, because you likely won't be putting it back on.

3. The screen started getting weird marks around the edges even though nothing bad ever happened to it.

4. It would heat up like crazy.

5. Had to replace the battery every few months. So much money down the drain..

6. Hard drive died. Lost a lot of data I wish I had and I had to replace that.

7. I got the 7 beeps error which means the GPU got so hot that it came off the board. Had to wrap it in a blanket for two hours so it could heat up to fix it. Strange fix, but it worked.

8. Lots of other weird misc bugs on the OEM Windows 7 before the HDD died. Such as Explorer crashing when clicking save as, or any program requiring Direct X not working anymore.

HP is just as bad though, my brother has had two HPs and both of them have a broken left hinge and get loud as hell.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Dell is either a hit or a miss. Some of their laptops/ultrabooks/notebooks are amazing but at the same time alot of their shit is HORRIBLE. I own a dell xps 12 and just like how linus's never broke mine never broke either and I've owned it for 2 years now with traveling every month with it.

Now on the other hand, some of their products are unholy. I had an alienware m14x and it was HORRIBLE, not in tech but quality, The first day I got it, I plugged it in and the HINGES BROKE OFF. That already was 2 weeks wasted waiting for them to fix it for me. After that it was smooth sailing for a couple more months until it broke down again. It got so bad that the tech support started breaking my computer. They left out cpu fans, didn't even fix anything, and worse. I ended up getting a full refund (2000 dollars at the time) and now im on my custom built.

Like I said. Dell is either a hit or a miss

Taran should run for president!

Dell is either a hit or a miss. Some of their laptops/ultrabooks/notebooks are amazing but at the same time alot of their shit is HORRIBLE. I own a dell xps 12 and just like how linus's never broke mine never broke either and I've owned it for 2 years now with traveling every month with it.

Now on the other hand, some of their products are unholy. I had an alienware m14x and it was HORRIBLE, not in tech but quality, The first day I got it, I plugged it in and the HINGES BROKE OFF. That already was 2 weeks wasted waiting for them to fix it for me. After that it was smooth sailing for a couple more months until it broke down again. It got so bad that the tech support started breaking my computer. They left out cpu fans, didn't even fix anything, and worse. I ended up getting a full refund (2000 dollars at the time) and now im on my custom built.

Like I said. Dell is either a hit or a miss

I think Dell is a good brand. Just Alienware is the problem. I have the XPS 13 for a couple months now and its amazing. I'm not bias cus I used to own an Alienware and it broke after less than a year. They wanted to charge me $400 to fix it, so I just sold it cheap and build a PC

Dell is horrible. Not that anyone cares, but here's my wonderful Dell adventure:

I bought a Inspiron back in 2011, and dammnn, I don't even know where to start.

First of all, like you, it took a month to get here.

Second, it worked great until my warranty ran out. A few weeks later I started having very annoying problems.

1. The left click turned into right click and right click did nothing. Had to start using a mouse. Wtf.

2. The keys brake so easily. Don't even think about taking a key off for any reason, because you likely won't be putting it back on.

3. The screen started getting weird marks around the edges even though nothing bad ever happened to it.

4. It would heat up like crazy.

5. Had to replace the battery every few months. So much money down the drain..

6. Hard drive died. Lost a lot of data I wish I had and I had to replace that.

7. I got the 7 beeps error which means the GPU got so hot that it came off the board. Had to wrap it in a blanket for two hours so it could heat up to fix it. Strange fix, but it worked.

8. Lots of other weird misc bugs on the OEM Windows 7 before the HDD died. Such as Explorer crashing when clicking save as, or any program requiring Direct X not working anymore.

HP is just as bad though, my brother has had two HPs and both of them have a broken left hinge and get loud as hell.

HP isn't bad at all from my experience. I have a 4 year old HP Envy Desktop, still works great!

Dell has horrible cooling. Otherwise, they're ok.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Well it's almost 8:30 PM and they haven't shipped anything. So they fucked up the return date for the 5th time. I'm done....

I'm not sure about that, but I ran Battlefield 4 at max settings for about a whole day without a problem.

I'm not sure about that, but I ran Battlefield 4 at max settings for about a whole day without a problem.

Desktop or laptop?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Desktop or laptop?

Desktop. To be more specific: Alienware x51 R2 2013

Desktop. To be more specific: Alienware x51 R2 2013

Talking about laptops. My laptop runs at 87 average with a max of 90 while playing TF2.

Blue Jay

Other Stuff

GitHub

when they used to have a green shield on the rear fan to the CPUm like what MS did to the first gen Xbox 360, then they had a shit cooling design. Fan in front and it will passively cool a pentium D, great idea, hot air would then be exhausted by the PSU.

HP isn't bad at all from my experience. I have a 4 year old HP Envy Desktop, still works great!

Might be luck on your end, might be bad luck on my brother's end. One thing I know for sure is that HP laptops are under powered for their price.

My Uncle bought one for 700$ a few months ago and oh my god.. It runs slower than my old Athlon x2 rig! It says "Up to 2.8ghz" on it's specs, but I've never seen it go over 2.2ghz, it was usually hanging around 1.9ghz.

Most people are computer stupid and HP knows this, so they include things that people would notice like 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDDs and quad core CPUs, but then they have horrible clock speeds and terrible GPUs.

HP and Dell used to be good. I have a 2003 Dell Inspiron that still breathes to this day, and my mother bought a HP back in 2009 and it's still working decently. Not to mention my prized possession, my year 2000 Dell GX110! It seems that both companies went to shit after 2010, but that's just from me and my family's experience.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Let me tell you the tale of a friend.

So my friend bought an ASUS laptop and for the first week it was fine. But then the screen broke for no reason, I thought he just bend it too far or something as he is quite and idiot :P Anyway, the repair took 4 weeks and after that the screen broke again. 4 more weeks... That happend for goddammit 5 times and they kept just 'repairing' it instead of giving a new one... See that is what I call bad customer service...

Technology Entertainment Creativity

Technology Electricity Control

Technology Electronics Computers

2 weeks and 1 day have gone by since the first estimated return date, still nothing from Dell. I sent a complain, no response.

My sister recently got a Dell Inspiron 15 (this one.) She got it to replace an aging Samsung laptop that was being held together by duct tape, and she's pretty much committed to keeping it for that long too at this point. Initially, she wasn't too sure about it due to the screen resolution (she's so used to 1366x768, and most of her anime is in 720p) but she's grown used to the resolution and really likes the laptop.

We also have a workforce of almost entirely Dell machines at my workplace. A lot of them are from the 2006 - 2008 era, and then there are a few from 2001 - 2004. They still work, for the most part, reliably to this day.

Of course, everyone's gonna have a different story. Shame you've had such a hard time with them, but customer support can really be a bitch sometimes, y'know?

Let me tell you the tale of a friend.

So my friend bought an ASUS laptop and for the first week it was fine. But then the screen broke for no reason, I thought he just bend it too far or something as he is quite and idiot :P Anyway, the repair took 4 weeks and after that the screen broke again. 4 more weeks... That happend for goddammit 5 times and they kept just 'repairing' it instead of giving a new one... See that is what I call bad customer service...

I agree...In the US and probably everywhere else, it is faster and more efficient to just replace the parts not repair it...Wastes less time and labor...Also therefore you don't have to take the blame when the part doesn't doesn't work out :)

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Unit shipped. Dell estimated return date: Monday next week. FedEx estimated return date: Wednesday next week.

;-; Why....

Dell sucks. I can't get them to last for more than one year.

Please notice me senpie

Xeon x3430 - GTX 660SC - Core 1000 - CX430 - DQ57TM - 4gb DDR3

Package arrived near my home. Expected delivery: Tomorrow-Wednesday. My last update will be if they compensate for all of the wasted time and if the PC is truly fixed.

Alienware specifically are prebuilts that Dell offer to those people who know nothing about PCs and will gladly pay for something overpriced... which is why they will often overcharge for repairs ($450 to fix any single component in that PC is ridiculous) and skimp on customer service. The only people who buy actual Dell desktops nowadays are either consumers who have good enough knowledge to build a desktop but don't feel like it, or businesses who couldn't afford the cost and/or time it takes to have hundreds of PCs custom built.

"Rawr XD"

Alienware specifically are prebuilts that Dell offer to those people who know nothing about PCs and will gladly pay for something overpriced... which is why they will often overcharge for repairs ($450 to fix any single component in that PC is ridiculous) and skimp on customer service. The only people who buy actual Dell desktops nowadays are either consumers who have good enough knowledge to build a desktop but don't feel like it, or businesses who couldn't afford the cost and/or time it takes to have hundreds of PCs custom built.

ironically, those business also usually buy Optiplex/Precision workstations, which are usually significantly more for no real justifiable reason -- to the point where it's often cheaper to actually higher an intern to build and maintain systems. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Talking about laptops. My laptop runs at 87 average with a max of 90 while playing TF2.

I would say it's hit or miss, my Inspiron 13 2in1 never gets above 70 unless i have it on my lap.

Lord of Helium.

I have had an Alienware, it was a amazing computer (Got a big discount on it :P) it worked fine until my graphic card broke, i was under warranty so the support was great, i typed what the problem was and when it was happening to them and i send them some files, after a week they send out a guy to change the graphic card at my house and it worked great again.

But then after a year or 2 the graphic card broke again, this time i was out of warranty but i got my insurances to pay for the fix, but this time it time for them to answer, finally they had me send it in to service it took about a week to ship it to them and then it took them 1 mouth to "fix it" and send it back and it still didn't work.

I tried calling them and typing to them asking about what they did with my pc when i send it in, it turned out they only reinstalled windows.

After 2 mouth of typing back and forward they finally made a guy come out to switch my card but it didn't work :/

They switches the graphic card, harddrive, motherboard and reinstalled windows and nothing worked, so they gave up on my pc lol.

Anyway my insurances company gave me my money back lol.

Computer arrived after 3 weeks of the first estimated return date. Case is scratched up, windows bootup is screwed up (I fixed it myself), BIOS settings were messed up (this caused the windows boot issue), but at least they fixed the main issue I had. The main issue was that my PC wasn't turning on at all. They fixed it by replacing the motherboard and something called the sisterboard.

I called Dell before fixing the PC myself, they said they can't help me unless I pay them.

Dell = I'm not buying anything from them anymore.