Sony PXW-FS7 4K video camera

Geez, all of these cameras are making me go crazy. I wanna own one of these, just to shoot and mess around with. I do wanna get something along the lines of a used a7 or a7r. But my wallet is crying so..

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I bought my kit for a total investment of CHF 8,900.00 so far which included:

• Camera body from supplier
  • 1 spare battery BPU-90 from supplier
  • 1 LED light panel from supplier
  • 2x 64GB memory card from supplier
  • Nikon-Sony lens adapter from Amazon
  • Cheeseplate from eBay

Lenses, audio equipment, tripod, etc. are not part of the current investment since I already own them.

The camera body alone is nearly $1000 cheaper than the price in the US.

http://www.visuals-switzerland.net/en/4k-memory-card-camcorder/73609-sony-pxw-fs7-s35-xdcam-4k-camera-e-mount-xavc.html

hmm, that's quite a hefty pricetag if you as me, must be worth it though.

Geez, all of these cameras are making me go crazy. I wanna own one of these, just to shoot and mess around with. I do wanna get something along the lines of a used a7 or a7r. But my wallet is crying so..

yeah, i know you can join the line =/

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

hmm, that's quite a hefty pricetag if you as me, must be worth it though.

Depends on what line of work you're in.  So far, since I've received it about three weeks ago, I've shot two interviews and one speech (for an Algerian news channel).  If I waited for the Ursa Mini, I would still be waiting for it to arrive and I wouldn't be able get those jobs.  And I have some more jobs lined up to the end of the year.

What camera do you own currently?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Depends on what line of work you're in.  So far, since I've received it about three weeks ago, I've shot two interviews and one speech (for an Algerian news channel).  If I waited for the Ursa Mini, I would still be waiting for it to arrive and I wouldn't be able get those jobs.  And I have some more jobs lined up to the end of the year.

When it's part of your job it's a logical purchase and easy to justify it.

Escpecially if you depend on it so much and jobs are just lining up.

When it's part of your job it's a logical purchase and easy to justify it.

Escpecially if you depend on it so much and jobs are just lining up.

Yep, I spent over a year between my previous video camera and this one without taking on any filming jobs.  Focusing on other things like building up my scuba diving experience, photography, learning/relearning various skills, or working as an editor for footage others filmed.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Yep, I spent over a year between my previous video camera and this one without taking on any filming jobs.  Focusing on other things like building up my scuba diving experience, photography, various skills, or working as an editor for footage others filmed.

Still sounds as quite a decent year between both cams, I would like to get the chance sometime in my life to do the same.

What camera do you own currently?

Nothing haha.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Nothing haha.

Well if you're interested in filming, it's not that hard to get into.  While I've been an avid lover of photography since I was a kid, I only started working with videos a few years ago and I taught myself by observing what others did.

You can use your phone, if it records decent quality video or a photo camera that has a video recording feature or even an entry level camcorder.  Get an external mic that will plug into your camera (if you get a camcorder, don't invest in a mic yet as the built-in one will be good enough) or an external audio recorder.

Look on Youtube or Vimeo for free tutorials and guides, pick up a good video editing software. There are some very powerful NLE (non-linear editing systems) available for free such as DaVinci Resolve 12, HitFilms Express, or Lightworks Free.

I personally do not recommend Windows Movie Maker to learn video editing, while it's good for hobbyists I feel it doesn't really teach you the type of workflow professionals use.

Two things you first need to learn when editing videos:

• Syncing audio and video if they were recorded separately
  • Cutting video

Stuff like effects, special effects, motion graphics will come later.

I never worked with using a film video camera, I started video purely with digital.  Start out with simple stuff, like making a 1 minute clip of someone you care about (parents, siblings, friends) telling you about their day, or hobby, or interests.

Don't let them talk continuously for 1 full minute, make them speak in short articulate statements with short pauses in between, where you might ask them a question or clarify something.  Record for about 3-5 minutes worth of footage, which you will later cut into a 1 minute final product.

As you build up the skills, the knowledge, you will learn how to improve your videos.

FYI, photography is in some ways much easier to learn.

Well if you're interested in filming, it's not that hard to get into.  While I've been an avid lover of photography since I was a kid, I only started working with videos a few years ago and I taught myself by observing what others did.

You can use your phone, if it records decent quality video or a photo camera that has a video recording feature or even an entry level camcorder.  Get an external mic that will plug into your camera (if you get a camcorder, don't invest in a mic yet as the built-in one will be good enough) or an external audio recorder.

Look on Youtube or Vimeo for free tutorials and guides, pick up a good video editing software. There are some very powerful NLE (non-linear editing systems) available for free such as DaVinci Resolve 12, HitFilms Express, or Lightworks Free.

I personally do not recommend Windows Movie Maker to learn video editing, while it's good for hobbyists I feel it doesn't really teach you the type of workflow professionals use.

Two things you first need to learn when editing videos:

• Syncing audio and video if they were recorded separately
  • Cutting video

Stuff like effects, special effects, motion graphics will come later.

I never worked with using a film video camera, I started video purely with digital.  Start out with simple stuff, like making a 1 minute clip of someone you care about (parents, siblings, friends) telling you about their day, or hobby, or interests.

Don't let them talk continuously for 1 full minute, make them speak in short articulate statements with short pauses in between, where you might ask them a question or clarify something.  Record for about 3-5 minutes worth of footage, which you will later cut into a 1 minute final product.

As you build up the skills, the knowledge, you will learn how to improve your videos.

FYI, photography is in some ways much easier to learn.

Haha, quite the detailed post. I'm not a beginner so.... I keep up with the cameras that come out, as well as technologies. But I could learn a thing or two.

Haha, quite the detailed post. I'm not a beginner so.... I keep up with the cameras that come out, as well as technologies. But I could learn a thing or two.

OK, but knowing what's going on with technology is different from working with the technology.

What your area of work?

OK, but knowing what's going on with technology is different from working with the technology.

What your area of work?

none, because of school.