Samsung Fail - Design flaw in Galaxy Note 5 S Pen insertion

Just came across this on The Verge.

If you insert the S Pen backwards, you are done! It won't detect the S Pen anymore. A big feature on this Note series.

What a flaw in their design.

Don't you think Samsung? Some one in the world is not going to pay attention while inserting the S Pen in the phone backwards. 

Video by Android Police:

Source: TheVerge, AndroidPolice.

#PenGate

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

It's a design flaw for idiots it seems. Who's actually stupid enough to shove it in backwards?

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Damn, good job samsung. /s lol

Solution: Don't be sticking things in holes backwards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's a design flaw for idiots it seems. Who's actually stupid enough to shove it in backwards?

What if somebody with super extra knowledge on this, insert the S Pen backwards without concentration?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Seems pretty difficult to insert the pen backwards even if it's an accident.

#pengate

sorry couldn't resist  :ph34r: 

lol edited the description dude! :P Me too couldn't resist! 

Since when did the note 5 come out, I though they were still on 4?

5 days ago I guess!

I don't think this is a major design flaw. But it will happen to someone eventually, and who's gonna have to fix it? Though I think people getting a +$700 phone would at least be smart enough to not put the S Pen in backwards. You pull out the pen with the tip away from you anyways. But the S Pen should have been designed so that putting it in backwards is impossible. I mean, the Note 4 in the video made it virtually impossible. 

edit: here's another note 5 flaw regarding multitasking

tl;dr the note 5 has aggressive task killers, so past apps have to be reloaded more often. meanwhile the nexus 6 tested doesn't reload any app

how about you dont put the pen in backwards. Its as easy as paying attention to what you are doing.

why in satans arse crack would you put the s pen in backwards? 

If you do you actually deserve to have a broken phone... and possibly be decapitated 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm sorry, but if someone is dumb enough not to know which way the pen should be inserted then he probably shouldn't be dumping 600+$ in a phone. It's like saying, "this camera breaks if you sit on it! what a design flaw!"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Kinda like the iphone 6 case, where it was "who te hell sits doen on it's phone"

An other weird flaw but this time samsung instead of apple

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

It shouldn't become a major issue, but the fact that it can happen and that it breaks the detection of the S-pen completely (is it still broken after a factory reset?) is stupid and worrying.

This is one of those things that should have been detected in testing. Seems like an easy thing to fix as well. Just make the top of the pen slightly bigger so it won't fit.

People who manage to put the pen in backwards are idiots but what about if a friend wants to check out your brand new phone or maybe you got a kid who likes to play angry birds, I could easily imagine the pen going in backwards then. 

It's still a major design flaw, the pen can be inserted backwards with zero force and designing it in a way to prevent this takes almost no effort.

(is it still broken after a factory reset?) 

Curious about this, i can't really see how this would physically break any sort of sensor, that easily at least.

I shouldn't become a major issue, but the fact that it can happen and that it breaks the detection of the S-pen completely (is it still broken after a factory reset?) is stupid and worrying.

This is one of those things that should have been detected in testing. Seems like an easy thing to fix as well. Just make the top of the pen slightly bigger so it won't fit.

It's not really stupid imo.

If there's any electrical connection in there, which there probably is, then you're just shorting it with the metal end of the pen.

That could definitely cause hardware issues.

If this is the case, I'm surprised it doesn't break the phone in more ways.

Design flaw with Galaxy Note 5s - If I blow it up it doesn't function anymore. Good job Samsung

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Heh... My dad was just saying how he hates the s pen thingy

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

People saying you have to be an idiot to do this. Yes. Infants are idiots. Some parents are going to have their phones broken by their kids doing stuff like this. It should be physically impossible to slide the pen in the wrong way.

at least some one gets it.  its not that hard to do something stupid like this with kids around, i mean not only are kids "stupid" but have you seen a sleep deprived parents? i lost my keys for an hour once and where did i find them? the fridge, because, lack of sleep. and its not just lack of sleep, kids in general can really mess your head up.

the tech community are real condescending ass holes, this is a major design flaw just like the 6+ bending was. something as simple as inserting a stylus in the wrong way should not break the phone.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017