AETOS by Maki Role - Finished!- Update 29/07/16

Maki Role

Man I hate modelling fans so much. Inventor's loft system is so unintuitive and clunky, plus it breaks all the time without giving you a good reason why. Still, the things I would do with a 5-Axis CNC... Should start buying Euromillions tickets rofl.

Switch over to solidworks. I think you will enjoy it:D

It should be able to make fan blades in a 3 axis router though. Just add some support on the blades that can be manually removed and filled down later to eliminate vibrations. Would have to be dual side milling, but with proper zeroing, that is not a problem.

Might be a bit overkill as paint or dye could do the trick, but who cares, overkill rocks!

Motherboard looks awesome. Wish more manufacturers would come out with mITX boards that look this nice but until then, I will wait. Why does Asus not put I/O shields like that on their RoG boards? They would be sooooooo much better.

Switch over to solidworks. I think you will enjoy it:D

It should be able to make fan blades in a 3 axis router though. Just add some support on the blades that can be manually removed and filled down later to eliminate vibrations. Would have to be dual side milling, but with proper zeroing, that is not a problem.

Might be a bit overkill as paint or dye could do the trick, but who cares, overkill rocks!

I actually do use Solidworks on occasion too. My main issue is efficiency, I learnt on Inventor so switching to Solidworks makes me much slower. I also have access to Fusion 360, which seems really interesting, especially for 3D print stuff as it can work with both solid and mesh files at once.

Hehe maybe one day I'll give it a go, for this project it might be a bit of a stretch CNC machining a replacement fan (the biggest barrier being I don't have a CNC...). I'll do it one day out of principle, just so I can say I did it rofl.

Motherboard looks awesome. Wish more manufacturers would come out with mITX boards that look this nice but until then, I will wait. Why does Asus not put I/O shields like that on their RoG boards? They would be sooooooo much better.

They do on some, certainly all the recent boards with "Thermal Armour" support have covers, same with the Deluxe models too. Still, it's an easy feature to add, so IMO most enthusiast boards should have them IMO. 

Looking forward to seeing it in the case.

As am I, here's to hoping it all fits!

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

The project looks really cool !!!!

This drive is really cool, but completely pointless for this build as there's no slot. I originally misread the spec sheet for the mobo, in the same way the plats weren't cancelled, neither was this. I'll use it in a future build.

:o But too bad for that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... how is this project coming along? 

Very, very slowly I'm afraid.  I'm waiting for AMD to approve the final prints and send the correct memory, which is driving me crazy.  This build was supposed to be done months ago, I was at least hoping to have it ready for the December iSeries, but unfortunately they're taking their sweet time with it.  Surprising really as it's wasting a great opportunity to put the Nano out in a great light.  Currently it sits in some weird situation where it's too expensive for most or not powerful enough for the others, niche to the extreme.

Very, very slowly I'm afraid.  I'm waiting for AMD to approve the final prints and send the correct memory, which is driving me crazy.  This build was supposed to be done months ago, I was at least hoping to have it ready for the December iSeries, but unfortunately they're taking their sweet time with it.  Surprising really as it's wasting a great opportunity to put the Nano out in a great light.  Currently it sits in some weird situation where it's too expensive for most or not powerful enough for the others, niche to the extreme.

that really sucks to here, especially since AMD can use the spotlight.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Well I hope AMD can get you back up and running soon. This build has me intrigued. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/11/2015 at 8:31 PM, john.weland said:

Well I hope AMD can get you back up and running soon. This build has me intrigued. 

On 17/01/2016 at 0:38 AM, hearthofsin said:

yo man what is going on with this build? not happening?? 

I've been waiting a long time to say this...

UPDATE!!

Ha I bet some of you thought this was dead?

Nope!

In short, there was a change of hands for the project at AMD, which broke a lot of communication etc.  However, there was only one crucial part that needed doing, and that's now been handled.  So a big thanks to Adam Kozak at AMD for putting up with my constant nagging and helping to get this through the door.

So the final chassis pieces have now been printed!  They're now in a proper state for me to begin the process of sanding, fitting and eventually painting.

Here are some shots of the new side panels:

hob3Pd.jpg

cOe0UY.jpg

P4JERU.jpg

I was waiting for this for so long!
When it's done I want to see another size comparison with a banana. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the kind comments everyone!

This has been a long time coming really, just been so busy recently thanks to life and now the Thermaltake UK Trophy.  That said, I've definitely still got time and plans for Aetos.

First order of the day is getting the GPU mounted.  Thankfully AMD provided a mechanical sample, which means I can use it in the workshop without worrying about things like aluminium dust getting in the card etc.  I decided to keep things simple, just a couple strips of aluminium bent in the vice.  I'll be painting these up to look pretty, don't worry.

Second is installing the little neodymium magnets into the case sections.  These help hold the front sections together without any screws, the rear parts are then fastened securely.  The sockethead screws are just placeholder (had them to hand), will be using more appropriate ones.

The case itself now fits together and is strong.  What's next is to begin the beautification process, i.e sanding, priming, filling and painting.  There's a lot of work to be done there, hopefully it will all go as intended.

9FCiN2.jpg

pqvZ5E.jpg

r27ea1.jpg

Qof7Jc.jpg

r5TutH.jpg

rz3H9H.jpg

pm8BYy.jpg

j9VMZK.jpg

Wow, that looks just as good or better than the renders did, nice work! Also, have you ever though about doing something like a signature designed case with company, sort of like Bill Owen did with Deepcool? I know you probably have a lot to do right now, but would love to see what creativity you could bring to a more widely produced case.

I like good humans and good food

7 hours ago, colinreay said:

Wow, that looks just as good or better than the renders did, nice work! Also, have you ever though about doing something like a signature designed case with company, sort of like Bill Owen did with Deepcool? I know you probably have a lot to do right now, but would love to see what creativity you could bring to a more widely produced case.

It's definitely something I'd be interested in that's for sure, although I'm not sure how I'd be able to handle it given my current setup etc.  Bill has the advantage of having access to a full on, large and well equipped workshop and paint shop so can deal with medium sized orders like the one he's doing with Deepcool.

That said, if a company wished to collaborate on say a limited edition of one of their cases using their own facilities, I'd be all ears.  

• 3 months later...

Right let's get this show on the road!  I have until the 11th of July to get Aetos up and out, so every day counts.

Banner.jpg

It's only a little update today in terms of visuals, but it was an important step.  First up, you guys were right, that GPU mounting solution was utter rubbish.  I don't know what I was thinking when I came up with it, so that's out of the window now.  I haven't got pictures of the new system yet as it's not quite finished, but it's much more in line with what you would expect from this build.

The big one for me was working on this annoying gap between the front and rear side panels.  There's supposed to be a thin line, but because the front pieces warped after printing, the gap was much larger and wonkier than it was supposed to be.  I've basically gone and filled it up and smoothed it back down again, it now looks much closer to how it does in the renders.

I've also begun work on the rear panel, which should help to keep everything nice and sleek.

DSC_6176.jpg

DSC_6177.jpg

That frame just looks so nice!

Also, banana for scale.

that looks slick.

what's the height? roughly 30-50cm?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.