The Corsair CX-series

Wow, just found this thread, I didn't realise the CX series were so bad. I buit up a PC fro my nephew earlier this year and used a CX430M. It's got an i3 4130 and an R7 260X in it, do you think I should swap it out for something better? If so, any recommendations around the £50 mark? Can be non modular.

It should be fine for a low power build like that.

I thought you were called Mr Seasonic for a reason? ;)

XFX = OEM seasonic :D

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

If I remember correctly the 750M and 850M have much higher build quality than the lower CX PSU's

GS rebrands - same platform, same crap.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If I remember correctly the 750M and 850M have much higher build quality than the lower CX PSU's

They're better but also ridiculously poor value and still not much better.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this explains all the confusion about the Corsair CX-series seen here on the daily. If you want to post a build here asking "is there CX-*** OK with this build?" then that is ay-OK.

Will a CX430 be fine replacing the dead OEM PSU in this Dell?

i5 2320

8 gigs of RAM

Nvidia GT 620

x2 WD Black 1TB

x2 Optical drive(rarely used)

x1 rear fan

23C ambient temperature.

I just recently figured out about this CX series thing, and thankfully didn't use one in my PC.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

I just recently figured out about this CX series thing, and thankfully didn't use one in my PC.

A CX power supply is not a death sentence. If you have that understanding, you're mistaken.  If some one made you think that, they're immature fools that have an agenda. Bottom line. 

Will a CX430 be fine replacing the dead OEM PSU in this Dell?

i5 2320

8 gigs of RAM

Nvidia GT 620

x2 WD Black 1TB

x2 Optical drive(rarely used)

x1 rear fan

23C ambient temperature.

Well Dell has pretty solid PSUs in their desktops actually so unless yours died I see no reason to replace it. Otherwise a CX would be perfect for that system.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 3 weeks later...

And I'm here like:

I guess I'll take my 3770k @4,8GHz and gtx 970 @1453MHz on the CX750 elsewhere.

(I'm getting a RM750i for christmas)

Also, I've been running this PSU for over 2 years now.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

And I'm here like:

I guess I'll take my 3770k @4,8GHz and gtx 970 @1453MHz on the CX750 elsewhere.

(I'm getting a RM750i for christmas)

Also, I've been running this PSU for over 2 years now.

Oooh nice, enjoy your RMi! Also, even with two 970s you'd be good on 650W, just to let you know.

Oooh nice, enjoy your RMi! Also, even with two 970s you'd be good on 650W, just to let you know.

The reason I'm getting a 750w is not because of my computer but because I use my pc for my 12v, 7v and 5v supply in case something needs that. For example, I did some experiments with Peltier-elements that use 100-200 watts a piece at 12v, a 750watt psu is kinda a necessity if you're running more than one of those.

The funny part is, I'm not going for that upgrade because of the bad quality but because I'm a silence obsessed person. I'm currently working on a system to be able to turn all the fans off with one flick of a switch (yes, the temps will still be good enough if I slightly downclock). The HDD already spins down after 10 minutes and now only the PSU makes a sound and I want that gone.

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

The reason I'm getting a 750w is not because of my computer but because I use my pc for my 12v, 7v and 5v supply in case something needs that. For example, I did some experiments with Peltier-elements that use 100-200 watts a piece at 12v, a 750watt psu is kinda a necessity if you're running more than one of those.

The funny part is, I'm not going for that upgrade because of the bad quality but because I'm a silence obsessed person. I'm currently working on a system to be able to turn all the fans off with one flick of a switch (yes, the temps will still be good enough if I slightly downclock). The HDD already spins down after 10 minutes and now only the PSU makes a sound and I want that gone.

If you're using a desktop HDD try a laptop one. I use a laptop 1 TB drive for the same reason - pursuit of silence.

If you're using a desktop HDD try a laptop one. I use a laptop 1 TB drive for the same reason - pursuit of silence.

Not gonna do that for 2 reasons, I don't wanna lose any speed and I don't have a lot of spare money, why did you think I bought a cx750 in the first place. If anything I'm gonna go full SSD. I already made my own noise dampning with some isolation foam for my HDD.

Also, I don't wanna lose any performance, I have a wd caviar black drive and it's pretty fast for an HDD. I don't wanna lose speed on going for a laptop drive.

Not gonna do that for 2 reasons, I don't wanna lose any speed and I don't have a lot of spare money, why did you think I bought a cx750 in the first place. If anything I'm gonna go full SSD. I already made my own noise dampning with some isolation foam for my HDD.

Also, I don't wanna lose any performance, I have a wd caviar black drive and it's pretty fast for an HDD. I don't wanna lose speed on going for a laptop drive.

My laptop drive is much faster than the old desktop hard drive I had and the actual spindle speed is lower so say of that what you will. 

Got myself the RM750i already.

After a downclock to 3.8GHz and a CPU downvolt of -0,180V I can unplug my cpu fans and waiting 10 minutes since I last loaded a file for my HDD to idle my PC is completely quiet.

Weeeeeell, except for some electrical noise that can only be heard in the middle of the night with my ear at 10cm of the motherboard (yes I tried).

• 2 weeks later...

So a CX in this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3pfwP would be a bad idea? 

CPU: i7-7700K | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080 Super | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Motherboard: MSI M5 Gaming | SSDs: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Kingston SSDNow + 500GB SK hynix SL308 500GB  | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB 

So a CX in this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3pfwP would be a bad idea? 

Yeah

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

To me, the CX has its place as a cheap modular PSU for low power systems (occasionally I see the cx430m go for 30 bucks which is really nice for a modular PSU).  Perfect for something like a 750 ti/mini itx build.  Once you start going into the 500 and 600 watt models, it pretty much loses value.  The extra watts don't compensate for the quality of the parts.

They're better but also ridiculously poor value and still not much better.

VS550 I'm getting.

Sorry if this isn't a relevant place to ask this question. I've had a CX600M for almost a year now, but I have since upgraded my GPU from a GTX 760 to an R9 390, and CPU from i5 4690k to an i7 4790, but should I consider replacing the CX600M as well? 

PCPartPicker List if anyone is curious. 

Computer Science / Mechanical Engineering @ Oakland University

Alumni of FRC Team 245

Professional Counter-Strike - Starbucks Barista 

Sorry if this isn't a relevant place to ask this question. I've had a CX600M for almost a year now, but I have since upgraded my GPU from a GTX 760 to an R9 390, and CPU from i5 4690k to an i7 4790, but should I consider replacing the CX600M as well? 

I strongly suggest you look into a Antec High Current Gamer 620M

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

if your going to upgrade your psu you might as well look into a higher wattage unit for future upgrades. http://tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

tier 1 or 2 from that list are what you should be looking into

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

if your going to upgrade your psu you might as well look into a higher wattage unit for future upgrades. http://tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

tier 1 or 2 from that list are what you should be looking into

Our list is far superior to Tom's

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/

how? toms is more detailed and lists oem. and has more units on the list. i have always preferred that list

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860