MasterCase Pro 5 - Is it worth it?

TheCaptain53

After realising that my Corsair Carbide Spec-01 was too small, I started looking for another case. The problem is that no other case really does it for me in terms of the aesthetics (which I love about the Spec-01). Then I saw the MasterCase Pro 5. 

It seems like a really well built case, the modular aspect is interesting (though I'm sure some things will have to be botched, including fitting a 3.5" drive behind the motherboard to fit a 360mm rad in the front) and it looks pretty damn good (not quite as good as the Spec-01 in my opinion, but it's close enough).

The problem is that it is kind of expensive. The Pro 5 is on Scan.co.uk (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-mastercase-pro-5-freeform-modular-case-with-side-window-7x-expansion-slots-usb-30-3x-1) for £110. It is a lot of money and I'm still considering it at this point, but after reading the review of it on OC3D (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_mastercase_5_and_pro_5_review/1), I'm not so sure. I suppose it's not as expensive as some of the other cases you can find, but still.

My main driver for this case is the aesthetics and the potential for expansion, but now I'm starting to consider waiting for a MasterCase '7' Full Tower version instead (even though I like the size of a mid tower).

What do you guys think?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Yes

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | Motherboard: ASUS Z97-P | Case: CM HAF Stacker 935 | PSU: Corsair CX430

Yes

Good fucking God that was quick.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

It's a nice case though, you have to pay to get nice things. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

After realising that my Corsair Carbide Spec-01 was too small, I started looking for another case. The problem is that no other case really does it for me in terms of the aesthetics (which I love about the Spec-01). Then I saw the MasterCase Pro 5. 

It seems like a really well built case, the modular aspect is interesting (though I'm sure some things will have to be botched, including fitting a 3.5" drive behind the motherboard to fit a 360mm rad in the front) and it looks pretty damn good (not quite as good as the Spec-01 in my opinion, but it's close enough).

The problem is that it is kind of expensive. The Pro 5 is on Scan.co.uk (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-mastercase-pro-5-freeform-modular-case-with-side-window-7x-expansion-slots-usb-30-3x-1) for £110. It is a lot of money and I'm still considering it at this point, but after reading the review of it on OC3D (http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/coolermaster_mastercase_5_and_pro_5_review/1), I'm not so sure. I suppose it's not as expensive as some of the other cases you can find, but still.

My main driver for this case is the aesthetics and the potential for expansion, but now I'm starting to consider waiting for a MasterCase '7' Full Tower version instead (even though I like the size of a mid tower).

What do you guys think?

Have you looked at other cases around that price? There are some similar options or better, depends on personal preference.

I have a Full tower case and I wish it were more mobile and had handles or something.  It literally weighs 40 lbs.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.3GHz | GPU: MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | Motherboard: ASUS Z97-P | Case: CM HAF Stacker 935 | PSU: Corsair CX430

hey look at that. I am also rocking a Spec 01 on one of my builds. i cant decide if the define S or the Pro 5 should be my next case for my next build.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

hey look at that. I am also rocking a Spec 01 on one of my builds. i cant decide if the define S or the Pro 5 should be my next case for my next build.

I would go with the Pro 5 because it may have less options now but will eventually be amazing

It also depends on aesthetics.  You could go with the sleek look of a Fractal Design case or the aggressive look of a Cooler Master case.

I think it's a nice case, but waaay to expensive.
I would rather take a Define S, simply because it is a lot cheaper and does everything just as well as the Mastercase.

Define S

The thing I love about my Spec-01 is that it just looks lairy without looking retarded. I think the HAF Stacker looks lairy - but retarded.

I kind of want the front panel of my Spec-01 on a Pro 5 and then it would be perfect (except for not being able to natively support a 360mm rad in the front, but I'm sure we can sort something out).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

I would rather take a Define S, simply because it is a lot cheaper and does everything just as well as the Mastercase.

Define S

^

Define S is a steal for a very open case that not only has a lot of water cooling options but great airflow. The only down sides to the Define S are the missing silent features from the define R5 and the small amount of included drive space(Not a problem for most).

Being worth it is up to you IMO. I went out and bought an S-Frame because it looks amazing and is a piece of art imo.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I would say, face value no.  The option to upgrade does not entice me one bit.  I like to think I can predict future upgrades to a system in advance and therefor buy a case that will suit my current needs and any that are likely down the line with one case purchase.  I am just skeptical of the component quality and finish, never really viewed coolermaster as a luxury case manufacturer... which is what I think they are going for with this modular case line up.... better off left to Corsairs high end cases, the define series etc.

Define S

Amen.

The thing I love about my Spec-01 is that it just looks lairy without looking retarded. I think the HAF Stacker looks lairy - but retarded.

I kind of want the front panel of my Spec-01 on a Pro 5 and then it would be perfect (except for not being able to natively support a 360mm rad in the front, but I'm sure we can sort something out).

I love my HAF stacker and think it looks good.  The Spec-01 is kind of similar but I understand where that thought is coming from.

I love the expandability most with my case, the ability to have a hard drive/ PSU box and a rad box attached to the rest of the components giving it a clean and less crouded look.

I think there's quite a lot of concern (my purchase of it aside, I will probably go for it) about CM's commitment to fully developing the 'modular' aspect of the MasterCase 5.

What do you guys think?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

The front 360mm rad can fit along with 2 3.5" bays in PSU compartment.

Seems like a nice case but IMO ugly.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The front 360mm rad can fit along with 2 3.5" bays in PSU compartment.

Seems like a nice case but IMO ugly.

That's fair enough.

I think it's a beautiful case, but each to their own.

I'll probably fit a 360/420mm (if I can fit it) rad but just slightly cut away the cutout in the floor so the rad installation doesn't look so 'messy' as such.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

The mastercase pro 5 is the only case I'd go with from cooler master right now. Good looks and layout. Size wise it seems more than big enough, especially if you don't use the hdd and 5.25" bays. I'm actually downsizing from a haf x myself for this reason. This thing is gigantic and it's mostly wasted space since I don't use optical drives or HDDs. The size of the mastercase 5 is more than enough for an ssd and dual gpu setup.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

I have a Full tower case and I wish it were more mobile and had handles or something.  It literally weighs 40 lbs.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper/Stryker perhaps?  I carry my full system with that handle without any issue.  I also find that the Mastercase basically looks like a cheap and nasty version of the Trooper

Any plans for this case to go silent?

Sound dampening on sides, top, and front panels.

Any plans for this case to go silent?

Sound dampening on sides, top, and front panels.

When you think about it, that should be on Cooler Master's 'to develop' list - to introduce an accessory pack to aid with silence.

I still feel like there's so much potential with this case, I hope CM follows through and makes some awesome accessories for it.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

I don't think any case is really "bad" or "worth it" IMO. If it meets my needs, then it's a good case. Is it worth that price? Again, that's up to you if you see the value in it or not. I wouldn't pay that much for a case as there are plenty of options from eBay, Amazon (used), etc. that you'll maybe strike gold if you wait long enough.

I realize finding this case used might not be an option since it's brand new.