Any difference between 1.1 and 1.2 displayport cables?

Manuel Segarra

So I accidentally bought a 1.1 displayport cable and my gpu says it supports 1.2 cables, will it make any difference? And what about the cable itself, is the image worse and slower than the 1.2? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Manuel Segarra

So I accidentally bought a 1.1 displayport cable and my gpu says it supports 1.2 cables, will it make any difference? And what about the cable itself, is the image worse and slower than the 1.2? Thanks in advance for your answers!

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable.  A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities.  All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

Thanks for the fast answer, but if that's the case why would they go through the trouble to make the 1.2 and 1.3 cables? I believe you, just curious.

They don't. Anywhere selling DP1.2 or 1.3 cables is putting it there for marketing. The standards are a firmware and efficiency improvement, not hardware, so the cables are the exact same. 

They don't. Anywhere selling DP1.2 or 1.3 cables is putting it there for marketing. The standards are a firmware and efficiency improvement, not hardware, so the cables are the exact same. 

Thanks a lot! I thought I messed up big time! :)

Manuel Segarra

Thanks a lot! I thought I messed up big time! :)

No problem. It's a common misconception that there's a difference in the cables. The same goes for HDMI 2.0 cables, which don't actually exist. 

Thanks for the fast answer, but if that's the case why would they go through the trouble to make the 1.2 and 1.3 cables? I believe you, just curious.

Because people will buy them :P Believe me it's no great trouble to change the Amazon product title :)

It's also for better search optimization, because even if cables don't have revisions people will still type the numbers into the search bar to look for them, and companies want their products to show up.

Because people will buy them :P Believe me it's no great trouble to change the Amazon product title :)

It's also for better search optimization, because even if cables don't have revisions people will still type the numbers into the search bar to look for them, and companies want their products to show up.

Thanks a lot for the help! :D

Manuel Segarra

• 7 years later...

Yeah i also bought acidentally a displayport 1.1 to hdmi cable. Will i still be able to get 2 monitors with only one port. And i will be using 240hz 1080p on my main monitor. Is that possible because my Monitor supports dp 1.4, but if all cables are the same would it work Then.

This is a 7 year old thread, please do not revive old threads. Start a new thread if you have a new question. If you have a question about cables or adapters, most basic information can be found in the pinned thread already: https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/