Windows 10 Insider preview automatically uninstalling programs.

Davehaslanded

So I've just installed the latest version of Windows 10, (Insider preview) and after the restart and installation had finished, I was shocked to be given a notification telling me that Windows had automatically uninstalled CPUID and then redirected to a web page. (see pic blow)

How is this acceptable? For one, the program works fine. Secondly, if it doesn't, surely it's up to me to troubleshoot the issue.

And yet again, the update also undid all my app presets. 

Anyone else had this issue.

Update: Actual website redirected too: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-incompatible-app

post-72122-0-25288800-1440102770_thumb.j

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

hah, rekt

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Do you have a news article to go with this?  If not you should post/move this to the OS section of the forum, not the news section.

While I can understand this will be huge news if true, it will still need to be verified and validated.

Do you have a news article to go with this?  If not you should post/move this to the OS section of the forum, not the news section.

While I can understand this will be huge news if true, it will still need to be verified and validated.

Well not really, because i'm reporting it. My source is me and this screen shot. lol I did consider putting it somewhere else, but this just seems bigger.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Are you on the fast lane?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Well not really, because i'm reporting it. My source is me and this screen shot. lol I did consider putting it somewhere else, but this just seems bigger.

could be a BUG since it is insider 

Are you on the fast lane?

Yes I am, but that doesn't give a valid excuse for this kind of invasive behavior. Yes i understand with Insider preview you are agreeing to give up some freedoms. But this is rediculous, and a little concerning considering the recent update to EULA stating they can remove software.

Spoiler

could be a BUG since it is insider 

Sadly i don't thing so. I didn't manage to screen shot the original pop up, but its clearly something baked into windows 10. The notification appeared in the bottom right of the screen and clearly stated 'Windows has uninstalled the app 'CPUID' due to compatibility issues. Clicking on it took me to that page posted above. 

Spoiler

Sadly i don't thing so. I didn't manage to screen shot the original pop up, but its clearly something baked into windows 10. The notification appeared in the bottom right of the screen and clearly stated 'Windows has uninstalled the app 'CPUID' due to compatibility issues. Clicking on it took me to that page posted above. 

hmmm

i doubt they will bring this feature into the full version. 

hmmm

Lol. Famous last words.

Spoiler

Lol. Famous last words.

it would be a stupid move.

AND theres COMPABILTY mode for a reason. 

Try to test it out.  Reinstall CPUID and reboot, and see if it removes it again.  Have you learned nothing from gaming??  TESTING, there must be more testing!!!   FOR SCIENCE!!!

Exactly! Any issue I've had up until now, Compatibility mode has solved. I've just reinstalled CPUID and its running fine as expected. 

Spoiler

Exactly! Any issue I've had up until now, Compatibility mode has solved. I've just reinstalled CPUID and its running fine as expected. 

weird. 

Yes I am, but that doesn't give a valid excuse for this kind of invasive behavior. Yes i understand with Insider preview you are agreeing to give up some freedoms. But this is rediculous, and a little concerning considering the recent update to EULA stating they can remove software.

I didn't say that being on the fast lane is wrong.  You just get more bugs than the ones on the slow lane and especially the ones who aren't running on Insider builds.  Heck, that's the whole thing about being on the fast lane.  Not surprised it happened.  If it was one of those minor updates everyone receives, then you have every right to complain.  Since it's not, you should've been more prepared for the risk of something like this happening.  If you want less chances of this happening, go to the slow lane or stop with the Insider builds.

And about that EULA, it's more about removing pirated software.  That's it.  If you aren't guilty of that, then there's nothing for you to worry about.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

While I agree it would be a stupid move.  The corporate money machine has shown time and again that companies are more than willing to go full retard if they think it will make money.  Look at the music industry before they tried streaming.  Look at the movie/tv/cable industry now.  If the big mega media companies told MS they would pay good money, MS might be willing to remove things for them.  And most users only other real option is Apple, which costs more money, and may not even do what the people want.  Or if somehow the media industry got the politicians they paid for to pass legislation, MS might do it out of fear of lawsuits.

Just did a restart (And switched to slow lane, just in case) And its not uninstalled anything. But it will be interesting to see when the next update comes round if it does it again. 

Spoiler

From a development standpoint I can see why they would do this given that its the Insider preview. They are probably trying to control variables that may be affecting other areas of the OS where they are trying to nail down bugs.

But CPUID doesn't seem like an app that gets embedded too far into the system so it seems odd. But then again it is probing the hardware, so who knows.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

hmmm

People said the same about all the spying crap.

Android has the "feature" that allows Google to remotely uninstall software from your phone too, and it seems like Microsoft really want to turn Windows into Android.

We can only hope that it is an insider thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the retail version too.

-snip-   If you aren't guilty of that, then there's nothing for you to worry about.

It is funny how things start that way, then they start changing what it means to be guilty. 

I'm really interested to see if anyone else has this issue.

Spoiler

Microsoft just keeps digging and digging. They're like the new Ubisoft.

Ye ole' train

It is funny how things start that way, then they start changing what it means to be guilty. 

The average person breaks the law 3 times a day, mostly without even knowing it.

Ever listened to a song on YouTube that wasn't posted on the official channel? Piracy.

Downloaded an image which is from a movie (for use as for example your avatar)? Piracy.

While I agree it would be a stupid move.  The corporate money machine has shown time and again that companies are more than willing to go full retard if they think it will make money.  Look at the music industry before they tried streaming.  Look at the movie/tv/cable industry now.  If the big mega media companies told MS they would pay good money, MS might be willing to remove things for them.  And most users only other real option is Apple, which costs more money, and may not even do what the people want.  Or if somehow the media industry got the politicians they paid for to pass legislation, MS might do it out of fear of lawsuits.

someone will find a way to block it. 

People said the same about all the spying crap.

Android has the "feature" that allows Google to remotely uninstall software from your phone too, and it seems like Microsoft really want to turn Windows into Android.

We can only hope that it is an insider thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the retail version too.

Has google ever done it with all these pirated apks?

NO

will they ever doubtfull. 

someone will find a way to block it. 

This is true, and the tech savvy (the ones usually doing the "illegal" things) will have no issue in running whatever they want.  But the masses either won't know, care, or be able to figure it out.  Just look at adblock/noscript and similar things, most people don't even know they exist, or can't figure out how to use them despite how easy they are to use. ( I understand there are those that choose not to use adblock for various reasons, just using it as an example)   Also, look at how easy it is to use vpn/seedboxes for torrenting, how easy it is to find and pirate all the movies and tv you could want, and yet the masses can't really figure out how to do it, or don't even realize you can.

This means they could potentially force the unknowing masses to use the software they are "allowed" to use.  They could be forced to do everything through the app store.  It is a dark path, and one that leads to lots of money for MS if they pull it off.  Which is a huge motivator.