Windows 10 Home domain join

Nem

I'm planning on upgrading some of my home computers to w10 home edition. Recently, through the dreamspark program, I've been given access to a copy of windows server 2012 and was thinking of upgrading my NAS to make use of the new server OS

I read that home editions of windows do not allow for "domain joining". My question is what exactly does this mean? Server 2012 essentials creates a domain controller by default (I believe), so a domain will be created on my network. Does this mean my win10 home computers will not be able to access the shares on the server? Or does it mean specifically that I cannot join the domain created by the server, but as long as user accounts are created correctly, users can still access shares despite a domain existing?

I'm planning on upgrading some of my home computers to w10 home edition. Recently, through the dreamspark program, I've been given access to a copy of windows server 2012 and was thinking of upgrading my NAS to make use of the new server OS

I read that home editions of windows do not allow for "domain joining". My question is what exactly does this mean? Server 2012 essentials creates a domain controller by default (I believe), so a domain will be created on my network. Does this mean my win10 home computers will not be able to access the shares on the server? Or does it mean specifically that I cannot join the domain created by the server, but as long as user accounts are created correctly, users can still access shares despite a domain existing?

I believe you can still access the server.

YOU DEFIANTLY CAN'T JOIN THE DOMAIN

I believe you can still access the server.

YOU DEFIANTLY CAN'T JOIN THE DOMAIN

What does joining the domain mean/give me beyond merely access shares via defined user profiles?

Honestly don't bother with windows server unless it has a feature you can't live without. Its given me so many headaches.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You would not be able to join the domain created by the server with "home" editions of windows.

This means you will not be able to centrally authenticate.

You would be able to access shares, but it wouldn't be as "clean" because you don't have domain credentials attached to your windows login so you have to set the mapped drive to "Remember Password" or w/e it is.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

are there any problems with the unclean approach?

are there any problems with the unclean approach?

Nope, not for basic sharing.

My other halfs laptop if Win8.1 Home and she works on our home domain OK, all other machines are on a domain, running pro or ent variants of windows.

Server 2012 r2 Essentials has the nice connector to manage authentication and basic tasks, but windows "home" will remember your credentials fine.

The server wont have control over the machine which is a big drawback in a domain and you won't be able to do certain things.

Might be better running the server in a workgroup and not a domain. Search installing server essentials non domain, it is possible to do on installation.