Two Arrests In Denmark For Spreading Information About Popcorn Time

Syntaxvgm

https://torrentfreak.com/police-arrest-men-for-spreading-popcorn-time-information-150819/
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/19/1624220/two-arrests-in-denmark-for-spreading-information-about-popcorn-time

Following a court order dated June, local police report that yesterday morning they arrested two men in their thirties said to be the operators of a pair of Popcorn Time related websites. Popcorntime.dk and Popcorn-time.dk have now been shut down, with their domains placed under the control of the state prosecutor.

While arrests of file-sharers and those running sites that closely facilitate infringement are nothing new, this week’s arrests appear to go way beyond anything seen before. The two men are not connected to the development of Popcorn Time and have not been offering copyrighted content for download.
Both sites were information resources, offering recent news on Popcorn Time related developments, guides, FAQ sections and tips on how to use the software. The screenshot below shows PopcornTime.dk.

That's right.
They were arrested for TALKING about piracy. Not actually providing ANY 'illegal' content.
As this comment on slashdot points out-

In order to exceed the speed limit follow these steps...

1. Turn on your car
2. Put your car in a drive gear.
3. Depress the accelerator pedal until the speedometer shows a value higher than the posted speed limit. (Try to avoid obstacles.)

I'm off to the police station to confess. Bye /.

I mean where does it stop?

Is it limited to owning a website that tells someone how to use these things? Or what if a forum user or something tells someone to use thepiratebay. Are they in jail? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Guess I'll hear about this tomorrow morning in the office.

That sounds a little out of the ordinary.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Guess I'll hear about this tomorrow morning in the office.

That sounds a little out of the ordinary.

It does. 

I feel like they made a mistake with the url's being similar, and are just sticking to their guns. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Wow, that's just harsh

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

If this is true I will laugh until morning comes.

But the Danish are "special" so it could very well be.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They didn't get arrested for talking about piracy. They got charged with instructing people on how to install and use PopcornTime.

This means they can get sentenced under §23 of the Danish penal code, since they aided people in breaking §299b of the Danish penal code.

Their court document (in Danish) http://popcorn-time.dk/kendelse.htm

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It's a tactic used quite a lot to get sites to shut down, just arrest the dudes running them, detain or shut down the servers, closing the sites down. Then any legal action falls apart later on down the line.

Like Volbet already said they didn't get arested because they talked about popcontime... But because they showed how to used it and download it.

It must be noted that the two men wasn't charged because they talked about popcorntime or used it , but only for having distributed the knowledge of how the service was installed and used . Both have allegedly confessed .

http://www.version2.dk/artikel/danskere-anholdt-opskrift-paa-piratstreaming-popcorn-time-325523 (danish)

I guess it got misunderstood by foreign sites because it got translated wrong or something like that. Though i would like to add that there have been cases like this before in Denmark and in some of the cases the court let them go

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Like Volbet already said they didn't get arested because they talked about popcontime... But because they showed how to used it and download it.

http://www.version2.dk/artikel/danskere-anholdt-opskrift-paa-piratstreaming-popcorn-time-325523 (danish)

I guess it got misunderstood by foreign sites because it got translated wrong or something like that. Though i would like to add that there have been cases like this before in Denmark and in some of the cases the court let them go

So the person who explained how to exceed the speed limit should also be arrested? Come on... It's bullshit.

I don't think people misunderstood, and it's still stupid.

Strange haven't heard anything... considering I am Danish.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Strange haven't heard anything... considering I am Danish.

Been on major news sites and danish tech sites. Strange indeed ;)

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Now this is something we actually should start a kickstarter for: A legal defense team so they can counter sue the Danish authorities for false arrest as well as charges being brought up to the top level management of the RIAA and MPAA that are undoubtedly behind this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just use PopcornTime because Netflix doesn't have anything.

So the person who explained how to exceed the speed limit should also be arrested? Come on... It's bullshit.

Shouldn't I get some sort of punishment if I instruct some on how to commit a murder, knowing that they will commit a murder?

I would think so.

Not becuase murder and breaking a copyright is in any way equal in severity, but I couldn't think of a different example.

But the point is, that it's much more complicated to install and use PopcornTime than it is to break the speed limit.

However, if you encourage someone to drive above the speedlimit, and somthing that fall under the penal code happens, the encourager can also be punished.

I too think the case is bullshit, but not becuase of §23 in the Danish penal code. 

I think it's bullshit becuase the current copyright laws are bullshit.

Most likely the case will never become a thing. I can't see the police ever lifitng their burden of proof in this case.

Now this is something we actually should start a kickstarter for: A legal defense team so they can counter sue the Danish authorities for false arrest as well as charges being brought up to the top level management of the RIAA and MPAA that are undoubtedly behind this.

They haven't been arrested, they have just been charged. They are still free to go where ever they like (possibly with some restriction)

If they had been arrested and they didn't get convicted, they would be compensated for their wrongful imprisonment. 

Before i start i would like to add that i'm not defending either sides. And that copyright law is really bullshit in most countries.

Not really what the police is auguring here though. 

The two men got arrested because  they are accused of distributing knowledge and information about illegal content online 

Our supreme court still have to make a judgment on this case. They got charge with danish copyright law. It got nothing to do with traffic laws. 

They haven't been arrested, they have just been charged. They are still free to go where ever they like (possibly with some restriction)

If they had been arrested and they didn't get convicted, they would be compensated for their wrongful imprisonment. 

False charges or legal defense if they're stupid enough not to dismiss them then.

-------

Current Rig

-------

False charges or legal defense if they're stupid enough not to dismiss them then.

The legal defense is free, and if they can prove a loss due to false charges, that will be compensated aswell.

But the point is, that it's much more complicated to install and use PopcornTime than it is to break the speed limit.

However, if you encourage someone to drive above the speedlimit, and somthing that fall under the penal code happens, the encourager can also be punished.

They are pretty close in terms of complexity. "Download and run the installer, press next a few times, double click on the icon and then just click on whichever movie you want to watch".

That's barely more complicated than "get in the car, insert and twist the key to start the engine, press down the clutch while moving the gear leaver into first gear, press down the throttle and keep it down".

The speeding example might even be more complicated, but it relies on things a lot of older people already know how to do. Hell, the instructions on how to speed could put peoples' lives in danger, while the worst thing that could happen with Popcorn time is that someone might not buy or see a movie.

Encouraging someone to break the law is and should definitely be a crime. Instructing someone on how to do it should not.

If you want to use murder as an example, posting instructions on how to install Popcorn time on the Internet would be like going around telling people "stab someone in the heart with a knife and they will die". It's really weird and you might get arrested because you are suspicious, but I don't think anyone will try to charge you for "instructing people on how to commit murder".

Not really what the police is auguring here though. 

Then I am misunderstanding why they were arrested or what they are charged with.

Bloody terrorists trying to destroy our capitalist society where we irradiate chillies to stop people growing their own.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

They are pretty close in terms of complexity. "Download and run the installer, press next a few times, double click on the icon and then just click on whichever movie you want to watch".

That's barely more complicated than "get in the car, insert and twist the key to start the engine, press down the clutch while moving the gear leaver into first gear, press down the throttle and keep it down".

The speeding example might even be more complicated, but it relies on things a lot of older people already know how to do. Hell, the instructions on how to speed could put peoples' lives in danger, while the worst thing that could happen with Popcorn time is that someone might not buy or see a movie.

Encouraging someone to break the law is and should definitely be a crime. Instructing someone on how to do it should not.

If you want to use murder as an example, posting instructions on how to install Popcorn time on the Internet would be like going around telling people "stab someone in the heart with a knife and they will die". It's really weird and you might get arrested because you are suspicious, but I don't think anyone will try to charge you for "instructing people on how to commit murder".

The problem with both of your examples, is that they are pretty simple tasks, that most people do know how to do.

Everyone with a drivers licens (and probably a lot without one) know how to break the speed limit, and pretty much everyone knows that stabbing person can kill that person.

However, the more complicated your instructions become, the more likely it is that the instruction subject is not common knowledge.

While saying "stabbing people might kill them" probably wouldn't see you charged as an accomplish to murder, making a more advanced guide could see you charged.

Giving instructions on how to easily dispose of a body, poisoning a person, cleaning the crime scene etc. could make you an accomplish equal to a person that could have driven the person to a potential crime scene. 

I have never used PopcornTime, so I don't know how difficult it is to set up. 

It might just be a simple .exe file or it could involve VPN's and other networking. I simply don't know. 

But there needs to be proven both a objective link and a subjective link between the information given and the crime commited. This is why I think the case at hand will not end in a court case. 

A link between the information given by the two guys, and people actually using PopcornTime to break a copyright, would be extremely hard to prove. 

I have never used PopcornTime, so I don't know how difficult it is to set up. 

It might just be a simple .exe file or it could involve VPN*s and other networking. I simply don't know.

It's just a regular installer. You double click it and press next a few times. No VPN or other configurations needed.

But there needs to be proven both a objective link and a subjective link between the information given and the crime commited. This is why I think the case at hand will not end in a court case. 

A link between the information given by the two guys, and people actually using PopcornTime to break a copyright, would be extremely hard to prove. 

Isn't that something they should do before arresting someone?

I see your point, but I think this is bullshit.

Arguing about the intricacies of the legality of what they did is largely redundant. The sites have been taken down, job done. With an even mildly competent lawyer, no more will come of this.

It is BS.

Something smells like hollywood aint happy :)

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO