Hello guys, I am taking an unknown plunge into the world of case design here with my attempt to design an ultimate watercooling case.

Here are some early renders of my concept, the design is already much improved over what you see in these renders; a serious weight loss program, much better loop design and aesthetic improvements.

Render3  Wooden Floor Aluminium

Render4  Wooden Floor Aluminium

The Idea of the case is for it to take all of the hassle and complexity out of full loop watercooling your system and at the same time having great acoustics and cooling performance, also a great clean industrial aesthetic.

The case will mainly be constructed out of aluminum because of its great thermal performance and its clean aesthetic. It could be plain, brushed, anodized in several colours and even powder coated in several colours depending on peoples preference.

The frame of the case will be made out of steel but not visible.

The tubing and radiators will be incorporated into the case itself, with the pump and res in a top soundproof, anti-vibration compartment so all you need to do is put your system with waterblocks and a bit of tubing into the case, connect your tubing to quick disconnects in the top and bottom of the case, add the coolant and ta da you have a full loop :D.

Features of the current design generation;

The rear sidepanel is not removable due to it being a main heatsink for the system.

There is a removable mobo tray to let you install your cooler more easily, install the PSU behind it and route cables behind the case midpanel so they are out of sight.

( Btw my other account is Weirdybeardyman just to avoid confusion)

Update 08/09/2015

Ver 3.0

Notes;

The coloured squares represent components (Yellow fans, green HDD cage, Burgundy ATX form factor motherboard, red CPU and GPU, grey PSU) these help to give scale.

This is version is not a technical CAD model as you can see and there is still lots of work to be done getting everything technically sound and working out all the small details that allow it to be produced ( Ive never used CAD before or designed a product before so these things are very new and there is alot of uncharted water for me).

The case will also be shorter than this model as I did not optimise length well in this design.

I have not included detailed heatsinks/radiators in this render for expediency.

Case

Case reveal

Cooling setup

BlendRend 8

BlendRend 7

More, nicer looking renders;

KeyshotRend1.38

Render2.40

Render2.41

Render2.42

Render2.43

Render2.45

Render2.46

Render2.48

Render2.46

Render2.48

Render2.49

Render2.50

Render2.51

Render2.52

Render2.53

Render2.54

Ver 3.1

Improved form-factor and model detail.

Render1.58

Render1.59

Render1.60

Render1.61

Render1.62

Render1.63

Render1.64

Render1

Render5.66

Render6.66

Render6.67

Render6.68

Render6.69

Render6.70

Ver 3.2

This revision I added the fan grille for the PSU to draw in air, I am not finished on the design of this, I feel it upsets the look of the case too much.

I also added the front radiator which is nice but I I also really like how clean the case looked without, maybe I will design a smaller form factor of this case where there is no front radiator.

Render.73

Render1

Render1.75

Render1.76

Render1.77

Render1.78

Ver 3.2

Render1.81

Render1.82

Render1.83

Render1.84

Ver 3.3

Minor changes to case and adding grabcad models.

Cad Version Fan test 1.91

Cad Fit5.99

Ver 3.4

More minor changes and more grabcad models are added to renders.

Cad Render1.109

Cad Render1.107

Ver 3.9

The way the psu draws air has been revisited, now it will draw air through the lower rad assembly, keeping the rear panel of the case looking clean.

Render3.123

Render4.125

Render4.126

Render2.116

Render3.118

Render3.120

Render3.121

Edited by Iapetus

It is a very nice box :)

Hello guys, I am taking an unknown plunge into the world of case design here with my attempt to design an ultimate watercooling case.

Here are some early renders of my concept.

Sorry for the brief post, will add to it loads tomorrow when I have the time.

just an idea! if its for water cooling couldn't you design the whole case so it is the radiator :/ so the whole case has water flowing through it and is made from acrylic :) and brushed metal

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Hmmm I understand that it's early in design, however I don't see myself wishing to buy it yet.

Now it might just be me, but I enjoy being able to pick up a case. And a heavy, water cooling case with fins on the side screams "I'm gonna cut ya!" all day. Also seems a bit wide.

However keep going, to each their own and I think it has potential. Even if it is the potential to be a clothes tearing, hand slicing machine.

Hmmm I understand that it's early in design, however I don't see myself wishing to buy it yet.

Now it might just be me, but I enjoy being able to pick up a case. And a heavy, water cooling case with fins on the side screams "I'm gonna cut ya!" all day. Also seems a bit wide.

However keep going, to each their own and I think it has potential. Even if it is the potential to be a clothes tearing, hand slicing machine.

The whole heavy thing is a good point but don't worry the fins will be rounded :D

just an idea! if its for water cooling couldn't you design the whole case so it is the radiator :/ so the whole case has water flowing through it and is made from acrylic :) and brushed metal

That is my idea :D Except the case will be almost all aluminium with a steel frame and copper tubing running behind the scenes along the radiators built into the case dissipating heat through the copper pipe. Ultimately the idea is that you will be able to put your system in, connect your tubing up to quick disconnect fitings and you will be away. The only thing you will need is your system, waterblocks, a little tubing and ta da. The pump and resivour will be in the top soundproof compartment.

It is a very nice box :)

It is a bit square and fat at the moment but don't worry, I'll be putting it on a weight loss treatment very soon :D

those little ridges on the side are just going to be a great place for dust :/ 

• 2 weeks later...

those little ridges on the side are just going to be a great place for dust :/

This should mostly be solved by placing the fins vertical instead of horizontal. This will be in a soon to come render of concept ver 2.0.

After a complete redesign of the form factor, layout and cooling setup I have completed ver 3.0 complete with some quick renders including an attempt to show scale and layout better;

Case

Case reveal

Cooling setup

More renders;

BlendRend 7

BlendRend 8

Notes;

The coloured squares represent components (Yellow fans, green HDD cage, Burgundy ATX form factor motherboard, red CPU and GPU, grey PSU) these help to give scale.

This is version is not a technical CAD model as you can see and there is still lots of work to be done getting everything technically sound and working out all the small details that allow it to be produced ( Ive never used CAD before or designed a product before so these things are very new and there is alot of uncharted water for me).

The case will also be shorter than this model as I did not optimise length well in this design.

I have not included detailed heatsinks/radiators in this render for expediency.

Ver 3.2

This revision I added the fan grille for the PSU to draw in air, I am not finished on the design of this, I feel it upsets the look of the case too much.

I also added the front radiator which is nice but I I also really like how clean the case looked without, maybe I will design a smaller form factor of this case where there is no front radiator.

Render.73

Render1

Render1.75

Render1.76

Render1.77

Render1.78

• 1 month later...

Updates on development process. Finding it hard to get time to work on it whilst at college so the progress is a bit slow.

Ver 3.3

Minor changes to case and adding grabcad models.

Cad Version Fan test 1.91

Cad Fit5.99

Ver 3.4

More minor changes and more grabcad models are added to renders.

Cad Render1.109

Cad Render1.107

Ver 3.9

The way the psu draws air has been revisited, now it will draw air through the lower rad assembly, keeping the rear panel of the case looking clean.

Render3.123

Render4.125

Render4.126

Render2.116

Render3.118

Render3.120

Render3.121