Almost 50% of Apple Music US consumers no longer using their free trial despite not ending, study found

GoodBytes

A study conducted by a consumer research firm, MusicWatch that a large number of poeple who subscribed to the Apple Music service free 3 month trial (in the US) no longer uses the service, or switch to another music service company.

apple-music-09_story.jpg

In the study, it claims that 77% of iOS customers in the U.S know Apple Music service, but only 11% are currently using it as their streaming service.

Of those individuals who had signed up for the 3-month trial, 48% stated that they no longer use the service, while 61% had indicated that they deactivated the automatic monthly renewal option.

In addition, MusicWatch had found that 28% had transitioned from Spotify Premium rather than ad-supported services such as Pandora or Spotify Free. (This is probably to enjoy music offline)

Amongst the 11% that stick with the service, says that 64% indicated that they were "extremely" or "very likely" to continue the Apple Music subscription, after the trial has ended, on September 30th.

The data was obtained from an August 2015 survey of 5,000 U.S. consumers, the study states.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/approximately-half-of-apple-music-customers-in-us-are-no-longer-using-free-trial

Unsuprising, it's a massively saturated market as it is and new services generally can't penetrate the market well enough. I didn't find it to be so great, I prefer Spotify personally.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

spotify ftw

because i can use it on my android, my laptop, my desktop, my ios. i can control the volume and tracks of my desktop on my phone while i cant tab out of a csgo match

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Apple was too late with too litlle innovation this time around.

People tend to stick to what they know, and people apperantly know Spotify and Pandora better than Apple Music.

Though, it will be intersting to see what happens to Apple Music if Spotify gets rid of their free service,

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

spotify will be going down now free option disappearing right?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Not too bad. Wonder what was the expectations but you can't expect people to massively jump on a new service. 

6% of iphone users paying for the service at launch is still a lot of users... 

When you want to penetrate the market you can't have just what everyone else has. When your are new, having those same features are usually not as well implemented as you didn't have the time, experience, feedback to make it better like others. Your product not only needs to match what other has in a competitive and saturated environment, but it also needs to innovate and bring something new to the table. If you are going into a new market, then it is the only time where you have lean way by your users to have limitations, and good innovation can really have an impact in surmounting the downside of your service.

An example of this is Microsoft music streaming service. They were the first one to provide streaming music and unlimited download. Even Spotify that came later didn't have this, and had a limited music selection compared to Microsoft. But because Microsoft stick it to Zune only in an area of mass growth of smart-phone and death of MP3 players, and simply not advertising the service, and still to this date no innovation, Spotify has taken what Microsoft had, the little it had.

Few people uses Microsoft music streaming service. In the recent year it finally awaken and started to make an Android and iOS app, and some level of seriousness is being put into it (probably due to the new refocus of the company of being a service company), but it too, like Apple Music, can't just catchup, they need to innovate.

Just wait till Cook drops his mixtape, thats gonna be straight fire and then everyone will subscribe to Apple Music to catch sick beats. 

/s 

Not too bad. Wonder what was the expectations but you can't expect people to massively jump on a new service. 

6% of iphone users paying for the service at launch is still a lot of users... 

Let's put it in perspective. 6% of 20% of the mobile market= ~1.2% of the mobile market is using apple music.

apple music still region locks albums, that is why I will change to spotify after the free trail, also it is 50% off for students 

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Well it is a copy of spotify......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apple hasn't really done anything worth being excited over in the streaming scene, simple as that. Unless Apple pulls a Google where it absorbs a popular service (anyone else remember Google video vs Youtube and how that went?), it's a resounding shrug. 

i like apple music but then i never used spotify premium.....i cant imagine apple dropping it

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Now apple will go sign exclusive deals with money loving "artists" like Taylor Swift.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Yup. As predicted. Spotify currently have the superior service and if I'm paying money it would go to them. Unfortunate that they're still pursuing the free tier though.

If Apple can make the app better (shocking) and make it easier to import Spotify playlists over to Apple Music, I'm sure a lot of people will actually use it. But as is, the only appealing quality that they have is the wider music library. 

Let's put it in perspective. 6% of 20% of the mobile market= ~1.2% of the mobile market is using apple music.

And how many millions would that make ? ... and vs Spotify Premium ? 

And how many millions would that make ? ... and vs Spotify Premium ? 

Apparently there's 63 million apple smartphone users in the US. I have no idea what it is globally tho but that would make it 3.8 million free trial users in the US vs Spotify's 15+ paying  customers and 60 million+ free users.

Now apple will go sign exclusive deals with money loving "artists" like Taylor Swift. 

Hey,  she's doing it out of principles, not greed. /s

Somewhat off-topic, but the new Music app for iOS pisses me off.  They made it so that the time and cell signal are on top of the album art, rather than keeping the app seperate from the top bar entirely.  That's Android level of stupid design.  Also no easy way to shuffle all anymore, what a pain in the ass.  Give me back my iOS 8.3 Music app please.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

That's pretty bad lol  :lol: Still waiting for Spotify here in Romania, until then Google Music it is for me. Is there any place where you can compare the user bases of each streaming service, as in how many users each has?

well i use it multiple times a day, everyday considering how convenient it is, i can control it with Siri. 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Do Apple users not just use iPods? This seems like it's competing with their own (successful) products too much.

Can I mention here that a survey of 5,000 people in the US is hardly a relevant demographic considering there's millions of people worldwide using this service?

Oh and Spotify ftw :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD