Looking for HE-500 alternatives that aren't HE-500's (If I ended up double posting, I'm sorry. I thought my topic never got posted)

TumbleButt

gallery_40059_1318_8251.jpg

FUCK YOU. I really want a HE-500  :(. Sadly I just spent money for GPU, monitor and case

Glad you finally got another one!!! Now I just need to get mine fixed... :/

Uhm... guys... he called again and told me he got Alpha Primes. He was wondering if there was an Alpha Prime HE-500, but he bought the Alpha Primes because thats how much he really owes me since I bought the HE-500's when they cost like $1000 at the time of purchase (why its priced that high in my country at that time... I dunno), and he got mixed up with Alpha Prime and Hifiman. He asked "what brand is it?" I said Hifiman. I even spelt it out for him, gave him a piece of paper that spelled the product name out, texted him monthly, and even messaged him on Facebook with a picture. I've been doing that for months.

How he got it wrong is way beyond me. 

WHAT? FUCK ME...

I've been saving up for Alpha Primes (but I did set money aside for HE-500's) as an LCD-XC substitute since its not the weight that bothers me, its the angles for the mini xlr connection that make it awkward for portable use and bound to snag with people infront of me... since I do plan to use it portably. But for fucksakes, how the fuck did he get it wrong? I texted and messaged that fucker every month that he owes me money or the HE-500.

I'm not the smartest person around, but it makes me wonder why there are dumbasses like him. And he's just a year younger than me.

Okay, I still need suggestions, again.

So far, the W1000x is the only contender I can consider at the moment.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Uhm... guys... he called again and told me he got Alpha Primes. He was wondering if there was an Alpha Prime HE-500, but he bought the Alpha Primes because thats how much he really owes me since I bought the HE-500's when they cost like $1000 at the time of purchase (why its priced that high in my country at that time... I dunno), and he got mixed up with Alpha Prime and Hifiman. He asked "what brand is it?" I said Hifiman. I even spelt it out for him, gave him a piece of paper that spelled the product name out, texted him monthly, and even messaged him on Facebook with a picture. I've been doing that for months.

WHAT? FUCK ME...

I've been saving up for Alpha Primes (but I did set money aside for HE-500's) as an LCD-XC substitute since its not the weight that bothers me, its the angles for the mini xlr connection that make it awkward for portable use and bound to snag with people infront of me... since I do plan to use it portably. But for fucksakes, how the fuck did he get it wrong? I texted and messaged that fucker every month that he owes me money or the HE-500.

I'm not the smartest person around, but it makes me wonder why there are dumbasses like him. And he's just a year younger than me.

You should probably murder him at this point, for his own safety and that of others.

You should probably murder him at this point, for his own safety and that of others.

Kill him? Why? That'd shorten the satisfaction. I say I should torture him. Beat the sense into him and kill him once he enjoys it.

But in all seriousness... like, holy shit. Like I said, I'm not the smartest person around, but the existence of dumbasses like him is beyond me. He's a grown ass man but is almost as dumb as an inattentive child that has ADHD and problems learning thats stuck in the special needs class and lack creativity as well as even the desire to learn.

I'm glad there's not a single dumbass like him in power thats running our government... oh wait.

noynoy_aquino.jpg

And to top it off, he allegedly has autism. If you're asking whats his role? He's our president.

Yeah... I'm that pissed off.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

So... uhh... anyone else wanna suggest some headphones that you guys think is close enough to the HE-500's?

WHAT? FUCK ME...

Uh... Alpha prime is more expensive than HE-500. Why are you so angry when you're getting a more expensive headphone?

Uh... Alpha prime is more expensive than HE-500. Why are you so angry when you're getting a more expensive headphone?

Because it wasn't the one he wanted. The HE-500 was as expensive at one time.

Because, like what I said, at the time of purchase of my HE-500, it costs $1000. At some point he did pay me back... but not exactly the one I expected, demanded, and what he really, really, REALLY owes me.

Alpha Primes aren't headphone cocaine, despite that I adore it from head to toe.

Welp, this kinda sucks.

Formerly known as TumbleButt (I won't send dick pics now, I'll just send lemons instead (rotting lemons from now on). Recommend the M50X, I'll send you a rotting lemon... because thats what you are, a rotting lemon...)

Well, my brother's flight got cancelled for some reason, but he said he'll be here in three days more or less. So, he's somewhat paid me back what he owed me (to a degree) and I'm still open for recommendations.

I still technically own this thread. And yes, I regret sending that dick pic (to a degree, to say the least) but oh well.

Formerly known as TumbleButt (I won't send dick pics now, I'll just send lemons instead (rotting lemons from now on). Recommend the M50X, I'll send you a rotting lemon... because thats what you are, a rotting lemon...)

As someone with lengthy experience using the HE500 on many systems...your options are very limited outside another HE-500 TBH.  The HE-400i does come quite close depending on the setup/gear it's on from a purely signature and relative driver standpoint, it's *almost* there in terms of ultimate technical ability.  That'd be my only recommendation... long term comfort is better with the newer headband design and lighter weight so that is a plus.

Planars in general have specific characteristics that pretty much any dynamic driver can't achieve, and vice versa (and same can be said about electrostatics as well) as you know I'm sure.  My experience is on the right respective setups an HE500 and HD600 can be equals, but for different musical focuses or purposes...and the HE500 has the edge in being more of a 'jack of all trades' with any genre or application and is slightly less setup dependent.  It's just hard to best in many ways.

Pretty much everything recommended so far is mostly not like the HE500, sans the Alpha Prime maybe for using a planar driver.  Still, it is IMO apparent that it is a closed headphone and (again, IMO) a lesser driver technically speaking (midrange distortion at louder levels?), the signature is less musical to me...not cocaine levels of excitement.  I've met Dan of MrSpeakers and he has certainly done wonders with that driver, don't get me wrong...it's one of the better closed headphones out there...but it has it's limitations and just isn't the same as an open (planar) headphone.  Still, report back when you receive it, I'm curious what you think.  The ETHER could be another story based on initial impressions (not heard this one yet) but price doesn't automatically equal better.

Case in point, the LCD3 (non-fazer) has a bit more treble energy than the LCD2/2.2 but still has all the same 'Audeze characteristics' since you've heard the LCD2 before, you know what I mean...IMO prohibitively expensive, aaannndd wild variances in sound signature...I can't recommend it considering the performance of the HE500 on the same rig even if it were in your budget.  I'd not bother with the OPPOs either but definitely demo them if you have the opportunity.

If you like the HE500 (and your ears) the T1 is an enthusiastic 'NO' ...peaky/harsh/grainy treble (fatigue), midrange recession and thinness, subbass distortion tendencies (it's all heavily amp/gear dependent)...it's tonality is decent but just not as good, kind of an anti-HD500 in some ways lol.  Fatiguing is a good description, the HE500 is not that.  Maybe I'm being overcritical but it's not my cup of tea personally, like the HD800...they're just more studio monitor-esque, engineering tools which I totally respect and they deserve the fan-base.  It's like they are prefect to use in conjunction with some good studio monitor speakers, swapping in for when a sound engineer needs ultimate detail retrieval and critical fine tuning.

I'm sorry to hear about the customs taxes tho, I've shipped and received from the Philippines before.  :( What is your current audio setup like?

As someone with lengthy experience using the HE500 on many systems...your options are very limited outside another HE-500 TBH.  The HE-400i does come quite close depending on the setup/gear it's on from a purely signature and relative driver standpoint, it's *almost* there in terms of ultimate technical ability.  That'd be my only recommendation... long term comfort is better with the newer headband design and lighter weight so that is a plus.

Planars in general have specific characteristics that pretty much any dynamic driver can't achieve, and vice versa (and same can be said about electrostatics as well) as you know I'm sure.  My experience is on the right respective setups an HE500 and HD600 can be equals, but for different musical focuses or purposes...and the HE500 has the edge in being more of a 'jack of all trades' with any genre or application and is slightly less setup dependent.  It's just hard to best in many ways.

Pretty much everything recommended so far is mostly not like the HE500, sans the Alpha Prime maybe for using a planar driver.  Still, it is IMO apparent that it is a closed headphone and (again, IMO) a lesser driver technically speaking (midrange distortion at louder levels?), the signature is less musical to me...not cocaine levels of excitement.  I've met Dan of MrSpeakers and he has certainly done wonders with that driver, don't get me wrong...it's one of the better closed headphones out there...but it has it's limitations and just isn't the same as an open (planar) headphone.  Still, report back when you receive it, I'm curious what you think.  The ETHER could be another story based on initial impressions (not heard this one yet) but price doesn't automatically equal better.

Case in point, the LCD3 (non-fazer) has a bit more treble energy than the LCD2/2.2 but still has all the same 'Audeze characteristics' since you've heard the LCD2 before, you know what I mean...IMO prohibitively expensive, aaannndd wild variances in sound signature...I can't recommend it considering the performance of the HE500 on the same rig even if it were in your budget.  I'd not bother with the OPPOs either but definitely demo them if you have the opportunity.

If you like the HE500 (and your ears) the T1 is an enthusiastic 'NO' ...peaky/harsh/grainy treble (fatigue), midrange recession and thinness, subbass distortion tendencies (it's all heavily amp/gear dependent)...it's tonality is decent but just not as good, kind of an anti-HD500 in some ways lol.  Fatiguing is a good description, the HE500 is not that.  Maybe I'm being overcritical but it's not my cup of tea personally, like the HD800...they're just more studio monitor-esque, engineering tools which I totally respect and they deserve the fan-base.  It's like they are prefect to use in conjunction with some good studio monitor speakers, swapping in for when a sound engineer needs ultimate detail retrieval and critical fine tuning.

I'm sorry to hear about the customs taxes tho, I've shipped and received from the Philippines before.  :( What is your current audio setup like?

(I'm technically the OP, just incase anyone gets confused)

Having tried the HE-400i, its one of the least planar magnetic sounding planar magnetic headphone around. How Hifiman did that is beyond me. I really wanted to like the 400i, I sincerely do. I was almost ready to buy one until I demo'd it again... it sounded more like it had dynamic drivers in them. Nothing wrong with that... unless its meant to be a planar magnetic headphone.

Seriously, the HE-500 is far from being the perfect headphone sonically. It should even be at the lowest level of consideration in terms of comfort, too. But its kind of like that headphone thats kind of meant to be wrong but ended up being right in all the boxes that I consider the headphone to have for a long, long time. Audeze's LCD lineup is actually solid, but its not the weight why I'd pick the HE-500's over them. Its that they don't have that mid and lows that are actually enthusiastic. The bass and mids of the HE-500 feel so alive and I couldn't care if it was meant to be neutral to the nth degree... and I can't remember the right words for the HE-500.

The ETHER is basically an HD-800 done right, despite having a smaller soundstage, and isn't dry. Dollar-for-dollar, its a better deal. I wouldn't consider them over the HE-500's though. I'm perfectly satisfied with the HD600's neutrality, despite that I'll even admit that the ETHER's are actually more neutral, more detailed, more of everything that a reference headphone should always have and should be, without the trade-offs of certain summit-fi headphones tend to have other than price being the trade-off.

And also, I don't believe in "gear dependence" since, from my experience, I just need a DAC and an amp that does the following without coloration:

1.) The amp should just give me clean amplification.

2.) The DAC should just translate digital audio into analogue.

So, I gave up on tube amps, with my first and last tube amp (and DAC) being the Woo Audio WA7. After selling it to someone who was more than enthusiastic to buy them from me with broken tubes (I clearly told the buyer like 5x that its broken and asked him if he's sure, and he said yes), the Objective 2 ODAC+Amp was pretty much an upgrade in nearly every way for much, much less. I wanted clean audio, no coloration, and just let me tinker with EQ if I wanted to (which is why I want amps and DAC's that don't color the headphone's sound so that I have a "blank canvas to color"), thats it.

So far, the W1000X has impressed me alot. I got to try the TH900 a few hours ago... and surprisingly gave me that HE-500 feeling. It still has its own V to U shaped sound and despite the mids kind of a bit underwhelming for its price, it kinda made me like bass all over again. If only it didn't cost that much.

TH900 a few hours ago... and surprisingly gave me that HE-500 feeling. It still has its own V to U shaped sound and despite the mids kind of a bit underwhelming for its price, it kinda made me like bass all over again. If only it didn't cost that much.

I like fun sounding headphones, and th-900 is the top of that list. I do agreed the th-900 doesn't feel like it's worth the asking price compared to something like the lcd2 or he-6, but man I don't mind paying extra for those gorgeous cups and insane comfort. You could check its little brother the th-600 and you won't be missing out on much from what I heard.

I like fun sounding headphones, and th-900 is the top of that list. I do agreed the th-900 doesn't feel like it's worth the asking price compared to something like the lcd2 or he-6, but man I don't mind paying extra for those gorgeous cups and insane comfort. You could check its little brother the th-600 and you won't be missing out on much from what I heard.

The TH600 was... not really as fun as the TH900.

(I'm technically the OP, just incase anyone gets confused)

Having tried the HE-400i, its one of the least planar magnetic sounding planar magnetic headphone around. How Hifiman did that is beyond me. I really wanted to like the 400i, I sincerely do. I was almost ready to buy one until I demo'd it again... it sounded more like it had dynamic drivers in them. Nothing wrong with that... unless its meant to be a planar magnetic headphone.

Seriously, the HE-500 is far from being the perfect headphone sonically. It should even be at the lowest level of consideration in terms of comfort, too. But its kind of like that headphone thats kind of meant to be wrong but ended up being right in all the boxes that I consider the headphone to have for a long, long time. Audeze's LCD lineup is actually solid, but its not the weight why I'd pick the HE-500's over them. Its that they don't have that mid and lows that are actually enthusiastic. The bass and mids of the HE-500 feel so alive and I couldn't care if it was meant to be neutral to the nth degree... and I can't remember the right words for the HE-500.

The ETHER is basically an HD-800 done right, despite having a smaller soundstage, and isn't dry. Dollar-for-dollar, its a better deal. I wouldn't consider them over the HE-500's though. I'm perfectly satisfied with the HD600's neutrality, despite that I'll even admit that the ETHER's are actually more neutral, more detailed, more of everything that a reference headphone should always have and should be, without the trade-offs of certain summit-fi headphones tend to have other than price being the trade-off.

And also, I don't believe in "gear dependence" since, from my experience, I just need a DAC and an amp that does the following without coloration:

1.) The amp should just give me clean amplification.

2.) The DAC should just translate digital audio into analogue.

So, I gave up on tube amps, with my first and last tube amp (and DAC) being the Woo Audio WA7. After selling it to someone who was more than enthusiastic to buy them from me with broken tubes (I clearly told the buyer like 5x that its broken and asked him if he's sure, and he said yes), the Objective 2 ODAC+Amp was pretty much an upgrade in nearly every way for much, much less. I wanted clean audio, no coloration, and just let me tinker with EQ if I wanted to (which is why I want amps and DAC's that don't color the headphone's sound so that I have a "blank canvas to color"), thats it.

So far, the W1000X has impressed me alot. I got to try the TH900 a few hours ago... and surprisingly gave me that HE-500 feeling. It still has its own V to U shaped sound and despite the mids kind of a bit underwhelming for its price, it kinda made me like bass all over again. If only it didn't cost that much.

Yeah, I saw the commentary in your sig  :P

The HE400i was one of the more brief demos I had with only a few songs, but I did get to try it side-by-side with my HE500 on my own setup.  At least for me, it had the characteristic textured and solid bass response but perhaps not quite as thumpy or present in the lower bass, a bit more midbass.  The midrange is just lusher and without compromise on the HE500, it doesn't quite get there on the HE400i.  Treble is more pleasant and detailed on the HE500 too...better imaging.  I'd have to hear the HE400i again really.  I do recall the general presentation/frequency response to be rather similar, though they have subjective differences in practice.  I think this is what makes the HE500 special, is there's essentially no substitute...even a headphone that was purpose built by the same company to 'succeed' it so to speak.  Hifiman is going in a different direction I guess.

Technically the Audezes do have more linear and tighter bass and even lusher mids, but it's definitely more relaxed and less engaging as a result...super smooth.  A friend of mine still owns a pair of 2.2 but he's really big into vocals and classic rock so that makes sense.  It's definitely too relaxed for my tastes, though it's something that can grow on you and you can adapt to over time I suspect.  I still prefer the HE500 as it's actually engaging but still never fatigues.

I hope to hear the ETHER soon, I really like the design choices and aesthetics...less dry sounding is always desirable anyway for me.

Gear philosophy can be a rabbit-hole but I can respect a variety of preferences.   I personally am a tube guy first but I do have/use solid state gear as well, it's all relative and I enjoy both for various reasons.  I'm also into higher sensitivity speakers so it's more apparent there regarding tubes, but I have heard headphones sound different (slightly different) on different setups at events.  The WA7 (or Woo amps) are not particularly prime specimens if you ask me  :ph34r: but I have owned the O2/ODAC combo before and would still choose that over the WA7.

I've not heard the W1000X but it's a beautiful looking headphone, as it's described in reviews I'd like to hear it...and some more Audio Technica cans for that.  I have owned the ESW9 before but I found that on-ears are not for me though it sounded good for what it is.

The TH900 is among the better closed cans for sure, it does have a U curve, definitely fun and not overly bassy but the lower mids do suffer a bit as a result of that elevation but it's still reasonably full and has a euphony to it.  The price is definitely excessive, especially considering what the D7000 used to cost new but I guess it is a new driver and updated build quality.  Honestly, I really like the D7000 though that may be because I have more time with it....I'm not sure what they go for used these days, but it could be a reasonable option.  Easily one my favorite (semi) closed headphone despite inherent weaknesses with imaging, but very musical and engaging.  Not neutral, lacks some mid/upper treble but it's still got a pretty full sound overall.  Another good vocal or rock headphone.  TH900 has better positional imaging, soundstage and dynamics capability...technically better with more genres.

Yeah, I saw the commentary in your sig  :P

The HE400i was one of the more brief demos I had with only a few songs, but I did get to try it side-by-side with my HE500 on my own setup.  At least for me, it had the characteristic textured and solid bass response but perhaps not quite as thumpy or present in the lower bass, a bit more midbass.  The midrange is just lusher and without compromise on the HE500, it doesn't quite get there on the HE400i.  Treble is more pleasant and detailed on the HE500 too...better imaging.  I'd have to hear the HE400i again really.  I do recall the general presentation/frequency response to be rather similar, though they have subjective differences in practice.  I think this is what makes the HE500 special, is there's essentially no substitute...even a headphone that was purpose built by the same company to 'succeed' it so to speak.  Hifiman is going in a different direction I guess.

Technically the Audezes do have more linear and tighter bass and even lusher mids, but it's definitely more relaxed and less engaging as a result...super smooth.  A friend of mine still owns a pair of 2.2 but he's really big into vocals and classic rock so that makes sense.  It's definitely too relaxed for my tastes, though it's something that can grow on you and you can adapt to over time I suspect.  I still prefer the HE500 as it's actually engaging but still never fatigues.

I hope to hear the ETHER soon, I really like the design choices and aesthetics...less dry sounding is always desirable anyway for me.

Gear philosophy can be a rabbit-hole but I can respect a variety of preferences.   I personally am a tube guy first but I do have/use solid state gear as well, it's all relative and I enjoy both for various reasons.  I'm also into higher sensitivity speakers so it's more apparent there regarding tubes, but I have heard headphones sound different (slightly different) on different setups at events.  The WA7 (or Woo amps) are not particularly prime specimens if you ask me  :ph34r: but I have owned the O2/ODAC combo before and would still choose that over the WA7.

I've not heard the W1000X but it's a beautiful looking headphone, as it's described in reviews I'd like to hear it...and some more Audio Technica cans for that.  I have owned the ESW9 before but I found that on-ears are not for me though it sounded good for what it is.

The TH900 is among the better closed cans for sure, it does have a U curve, definitely fun and not overly bassy but the lower mids do suffer a bit as a result of that elevation but it's still reasonably full and has a euphony to it.  The price is definitely excessive, especially considering what the D7000 used to cost new but I guess it is a new driver and updated build quality.  Honestly, I really like the D7000 though that may be because I have more time with it....I'm not sure what they go for used these days, but it could be a reasonable option.  Easily one my favorite (semi) closed headphone despite inherent weaknesses with imaging, but very musical and engaging.  Not neutral, lacks some mid/upper treble but it's still got a pretty full sound overall.  Another good vocal or rock headphone.  TH900 has better positional imaging, soundstage and dynamics capability...technically better with more genres.

If it wasn't for our corrupt government and how they even randomly decide who gets taxed XXX% (yeah, reaches that much if they feel like it) on who's package, regardless if it was just a simple parcel from a family member who's working oversees or purchased for personal use, I would've bought the HE-500 from Amazon, no questions asked, and pay the 12% VAT.