980 TI with cpu upgrade FX 9590 or i7 Skylake?

This is how a summary is done...

"Intel's Core i5 2500K came out over four years ago, and redefined expectations from our gaming CPUs thanks to its strong out-of-the-box performance and superb overclocking. It was a product ahead of its time, and many gamers haven't felt the need to upgrade since then. Even now, we'd still say it's a superb product. In putting together this article, we wanted to chart the rise of the i5 and put the new Skylake product into context. The results seem pretty clear-cut - despite its age, the old i5 is still a great workhorse, but the combination of generation upon generation of per-clock improvements, combined with the new platform make the Core i5 6600K significantly more powerful.

Our benchmarks above don't fully replicate the gameplay experience - they are designed to compare CPU architectures with graphics reduced as a limiting factor, but the bottom line is that a growing number of titles are seeing the CPU act as the bottleneck - a fully maxed GTA 5 is CPU-limited even on an overclocked Core i7 4790K, while certain scenes in the Witcher 3 on ultra settings can also cause difficulties for even the most powerful processor. Our contention is that more games like this will come along, and in demanding CPU titles, the Core i5 6600K will make a noticeable difference."

My SuperSex PC! (buyng stage)  i5 6600K/ CM Hyper 212 EVO/ 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 generic/ ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming/ Samsung EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2k RPM/ Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden Sample 6GB/ Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX/ Silverstone Strider 1KW ST-1000P/ DELL U2715h 1440p/ LOG G110/ LOG G302

Nothing good?

let the kidd do it's thing, who cares...if he really think he's getting a better gaming experience because of skylake it's all good...it's marginaly faster, and as i said with such strong CPU's you see a performance difference only at very high framerates like 130FPS+ something even his 980ti can't achive at 1080p ultra settings...he's clueless and it's fine by me, let it go man.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The GPU is only a bottleneck when it becomes taxed to the point in which it holds the rest of the system back. When people test games at 720p, the GPU bottleneck is completely removed. This puts the ball in the CPU's court. This is how people effectively test CPU's against each other.

Playing on 720p on ULTRA still pulls the GPU trigger.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

let the kidd do it's thing, who cares...if he really think he's getting a better gaming experience because of skylake it's all good...it's marginaly faster, and as i said with such strong CPU's you see a performance difference only at very high framerates like 130FPS+ something even his 980ti can't achive at 1080p ultra settings...he's clueless and it's fine by me, let it go man.

You said to buy Haswell when this person can go Skylake with very little difference in price, i'm the reaction you deserve.

My SuperSex PC! (buyng stage)  i5 6600K/ CM Hyper 212 EVO/ 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 generic/ ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming/ Samsung EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2k RPM/ Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden Sample 6GB/ Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX/ Silverstone Strider 1KW ST-1000P/ DELL U2715h 1440p/ LOG G110/ LOG G302

Let us not take into account the amount of subtle negativity done in this post.

The negativity stems from the fact that Skylake is not exactly a compelling upgrade over high end Haswells. If i had a 4790k, i would not upgrade to a 6700k because the difference in performance would not warrant one. However, seeing as my personal rig uses a G3258, i would gladly use Skylake because it is fast and has way better features due to the Z170 platform. The platform is Skylakes biggest appeal, ask anyone. 

Nowhere did i say Skylake was bad. I said it was not impressive, because its not. We already see similar performance in our Haswell chips. We already have the same CPU features (unless its true, and Skylake does support VISC, which will be an entirely different topic). You act as if i am demonizing Skylake, when i have said multiple times for OP to go with it. In the first video you linked, did you finish watching the video until the end? Did you look at COD:AW? ACU? BF4? Most of those games had the exact same framerates, even on the old ivybridge CPU's. CPU's themselves are not interesting upgrades simply because not much has changed.

That being said, your view on the 6600k is still skewed. Compare that 6600k @ 4.5ghz, to a 4.5ghz 4690k to see a fair fight. Do it at a 720p resolution, and you will see what Skylake offers in raw performance over its predecessor.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The negativity stems from the fact that Skylake is not exactly a compelling upgrade over high end Haswells. If i had a 4790k, i would not upgrade to a 6700k because the difference in performance would not warrant one. However, seeing as my personal rig uses a G3258, i would gladly use Skylake because it is fast and has way better features due to the Z170 platform. The platform is Skylakes biggest appeal, ask anyone. 

Nowhere did i say Skylake was bad. I said it was not impressive, because its not. We already see similar performance in our Haswell chips. We already have the same CPU features (unless its true, and Skylake does support VISC, which will be an entirely different topic). You act as if i am demonizing Skylake, when i have said multiple times for OP to go with it. In the first video you linked, did you finish watching the video until the end? Did you look at COD:AW? ACU? BF4? Most of those games had the exact same framerates, even on the old ivybridge CPU's. CPU's themselves are not interesting upgrades simply because not much has changed.

That being said, your view on the 6600k is still skewed. Compare that 6600k @ 4.5ghz, to a 4.5ghz 4690k to see a fair fight. Do it at a 720p resolution, and you will see what Skylake offers in raw performance over its predecessor.

I'm over compensating, someone has to.. Skylake is far better than most people seem to  give credit for because all they look at is IPC and nothing else.

And COD /BF4/AC are literally all GPU bound, the 6600k pulls ahead because of superior IPC in COD, however Witcher 3 was showing a large benefit, you do know the other i5's on there were at 4.5ghz too? it's only the i7's that were stock.

You said to buy Haswell when this person can go Skylake with very little difference in price, i'm the reaction you deserve.

wrong, he already own DDR3 RAM so he would only need a cheap Z97 board (remember FIVR, this was removed from skylake and you can't use cheap ass board for overclocking anymore, but with haswell you do)

The global cost involved in getting a Z97 board + 4690K will be much lower than Z170 board + i5-6600K + DDR4 RAM.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You dont need any overclock to test this, both have the same stock clock speed.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

wrong, he already own DDR3 RAM so he would only need a cheap Z97 board (remember FIVR, this was removed from skylake and you can't use cheap ass board for overclocking anymore, but with haswell you do)

The global cost involved in getting a Z97 board + 4690K will be much lower than Z170 board + i5-6600K + DDR4 RAM.

Well i was moving from AM3 with 4GB ram... i had to buy all new parts, Skylake is a better deal for only 40 more for me, not saying it is worthy in all situations.

I'm over compensating, someone has to.. Skylake is far better than most people seem to  give credit for because all they look at is IPC and nothing else.

And COD /BF4/AC are literally all GPU bound, the 6600k pulls ahead because of superior IPC in COD, however Witcher 3 was showing a large benefit, you do know the other i5's on there were at 4.5ghz too? it's only the i7's that were stock.

That first video you linked had both at stock 3.5ghz. None were OC'd to 4.5ghz. My point is, when comparing i5 to i7, you cannot have them running at different clock speeds. Those extra 4 threads from HT will not help in gaming. 

You dont need any overclock to test this, both have the same stock clock speed.

I mentioned 4.5ghz because he was comparing a 4.5ghz i5 to a 4.0ghz i7. I mentioned using another i5 in the mix because it would also show that the 4.5ghz i5 and 4.5ghz i7 would perform relatively the same. A Haswell i5 and Haswell i7 at the same clock speeds, perform almost identical in games.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Whatever AMD is coocking, it's gonna be shit. They don't even try to compete anymore. They make garbage cpu's.

Go with an I5 or I7-4790K. Done, you're ready to go. Whoever tries talk you into AMD is fucking liar and don't respect your harder and money.

Guys, I am loving the immediate responses and knowledge in this thread. It's really helping, and I hope you guys can keep talking. You've given me a lot of to think about as well as incentive.

As I figured, switching to intel would be best in my situation. The original build is pretty unbalanced because at the time, I was going super budget. Also there are parts of it I haven't bought yet but will regardless of what cpu I get, such as the liquid cooling. I have a corsair air fan atm.

Although I did throw in the idea of waiting until AMD Zen comes out, one look at the thread about it on this forum sort of affirms my assumptions. Whatever upgrade AMD might throw out won't be much compared to Intel. AMD will most likely stick to price ratio to compete, so I'd be waiting months with no upgrade only to upgrade to what I can buy right now.

Talking about benchmarks and Skylake upgrade, I'm still under the idea that most people should not upgrade to Skylake because any increase in gaming performance would be marginal. But with my situation, if i'm going to switch to intel, I might as well choose Skylake since it's the new hot stuff. I understand why most people are recommending other i7 cpus that are not Skylake, but if the prices are all essentially within 20 bucks of each other, why not just go with the newest release?

As for ram, it's a nonissue. Ram is cheap, and it's just 8gb of DDR3 that goes to the wayside. I would buy 16gb of DDR4 for the upgrade. It was mentioned that the switch from DDR3 to DDR4 isn't that great of a deal at the moment but hey, I'm upgrading so might as well/forced to because of Skylake.

So, should I keep my eyes on 6700k or is there another Skylake cpu coming out soon? Again, I'm not buying my parts until the end of November. The Cyber Monday sales at that point would shrink the $400 to $500 difference, making cost issues whatever.

As I've said, I'm initially going with the MSI 980 TI and MSI Z170A motherboard, but if anyone else recommends other brands and parts for my upgrade, I'd love to keep hearing them. Same with DDR4 ram.

Guys, I am loving the immediate responses and knowledge in this thread. It's really helping, and I hope you guys can keep talking. You've given me a lot of to think about as well as incentive.

As I figured, switching to intel would be best in my situation. The original build is pretty unbalanced because at the time, I was going super budget. Also there are parts of it I haven't bought yet but will regardless of what cpu I get, such as the liquid cooling. I have a corsair air fan atm.

Although I did throw in the idea of waiting until AMD Zen comes out, one look at the thread about it on this forum sort of affirms my assumptions. Whatever upgrade AMD might throw out won't be much compared to Intel. AMD will most likely stick to price ratio to compete, so I'd be waiting months with no upgrade only to upgrade to what I can buy right now.

Talking about benchmarks and Skylake upgrade, I'm still under the idea that most people should not upgrade to Skylake because any increase in gaming performance would be marginal. But with my situation, if i'm going to switch to intel, I might as well choose Skylake since it's the new hot stuff.

As for ram, it's a nonissue. Ram is cheap, and it's just 8gb of DDR3 that goes to the wayside. I would buy 16gb of DDR4 for the upgrade. It was mentioned that the switch from DDR3 to DDR4 isn't that great of a deal at the moment but hey, I'm upgrading so might as well/forced to because of Skylake.

So, should I keep my eyes on 6700k or is there another Skylake cpu coming out soon? Again, I'm not buying my parts until the end of November. The Cyber Monday sales at that point would shrink the $400 to $500 difference, making cost issues whatever.

As I've said, I'm initially going with the MSI 980 TI and MSI Z170A motherboard, but if anyone else recommends other brands and parts for my upgrade, I'd love to keep hearing them. Same with DDR4 ram.

ASUS Z170 Gaming.. has Supreme FX audio on the board and can handle some maniac overclocks.

BTW DDR3 is now end of line... it will get cheaper then suddenly increase price rapidly due to demand and supply.

DDR4 is the now standard, so better jump ship sooner than later, and DDR4 is not THAT expensive, it's about the cost of DDR3 2 years ago.

since you are upgrading from amd fx series to intel it makes sense to upgrade to latest platform i.e skylake. i7-6700k with gtx 980ti will be more then enough for few years after that just add second 980ti

Interesting, since I'm waiting until end of November to buy my parts, I might as well shoot for the MSI lightning edition, which I hear is in development. Will a 750w power supply be enough for that card?

Interesting, since I'm waiting until end of November to buy my parts, I might as well shoot for the MSI lightning edition, which I hear is in development. Will a 750w power supply be enough for that card?

For one 980ti ofc its plenty. If you plan on SLI and OC i would go a little bit higher 850w+. (just because of load spikes)

For one 980ti ofc its plenty. If you plan on SLI and OC i would go a little bit higher 850w+. (just because of load spikes)

Makes perfect sense. Thank you DarkSmith2. Your insight is really helpful.