Looks like we got new SSD's incoming

Muddy Muxx

Mass production of 3D Vertical NAND flash, looks interresting to me.

http://www.techpowerup.com/188496/samsung-starts-mass-producing-industrys-first-3d-vertical-nand-flash.html

The Architect

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i5-3570K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 1600Mhz - EVGA GTX670 - Vertex 4 128GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Corsair HX750 - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl

Im waiting for hdds to be obsolete 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

it's coming......

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

It'll be quite a long wait but that would be awesome, especially with how many people use laptops now.

Looks like the Hard drive bottleneck might be going away.  What's next to fix?

My Rigs (past and present)

Still going to be a long wait till we see these in SSD's, but the future is bright, though not so much for the HDD. 

You are probably right it being a while before we gonna see them, but it's always nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

The Architect

ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i5-3570K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB 1600Mhz - EVGA GTX670 - Vertex 4 128GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Corsair HX750 - Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl

Motherboard PCIe lanes, total SATA throughput, and dual socket consumer motherboards with overclocking.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

There will always be a place in my heart for mechanical drives. They always do outsize ssd drives. They do not have a limited number of read and write cycles, they are cheap for their storage size and they can be reliable oh so reliable if you treat them nice. just you wait they are not going for a while. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

One word: SATA.

we either need a good replacement for SATA, or a much faster version of SATA. And no, i dont want to fill up my PCI-e slots with SSD's there must be another, better option like upgrading the SATA part of a motherboard itself.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

There will always be a place in my heart for mechanical drives. They always do outsize ssd drives. They do not have a limited number of read and write cycles, they are cheap for their storage size and they can be reliable oh so reliable if you treat them nice. just you wait they are not going for a while. 

Oh im the same way but eventually ssds will jump those hurtles and get better. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Do you think they are going to release this in the Evo series or create a whole new series for this?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Do you think they are going to release this in the Evo series or create a whole new series for this?

Since they're just starting production it'll be a couple or more years before they reach the affordable norms i'd wager

Oh im the same way but eventually ssds will jump those hurtles and get better. 

and at the same time hard drive manufacturers are researching ways to increase the storage density of hard drive platters. by the time you can get a consumer grade SSD in 3-4 TBs for the same price as those size HDDs are now, we'll be buying 50 TB HDDs

One word: SATA.

we either need a good replacement for SATA, or a much faster version of SATA. And no, i dont want to fill up my PCI-e slots with SSD's there must be another, better option like upgrading the SATA part of a motherboard itself.

I think the next step should be making internal thunderbolt the new standard.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

I think the next step should be making internal thunderbolt the new standard.

oh wow thats true... Thunderbolt 2 will be 20 Gbps....therefore it would actually be better to plug your SSD in there instead of an internal SATA port. THATS INSANE O_O

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

oh wow thats true... Thunderbolt 2 will be 20 Gbps....therefore it would actually be better to plug your SSD in there instead of an internal SATA port. THATS INSANE O_O

Would like to point out that thunderbolt is basically external PCI-E for data transfers. This means that storage devices still need controllers on them. Many manufacturers will probably cheap out and use SATA 6.0 controllers at best, just look at USB 3.0 most of the controllers in enclosures for that are still SATA 3.0. The other thing is is that sata is improving as well and theres the fact that thunderbolt isnt just for external storage.