AMD Possibly Abandoning FX Processors

Missioncode

http://wccftech.com/amd-possibly-abandoning-entire-fx-processors-lineup/

does this mean the end of high-end AMD CPUs?

or does it mean that are just going to put there high-end CPUs on the FM2 socket and just add a small GPU on and call it an APU

Well I don't know but I was a AMD fan boy for a long time when I had no money so I hope they can keep putting out high-end CPUs even if they aren't on par with Intel's 

It probably won't be the end of the high end CPU's they will just come up with another name for them.

its probably hugely cheaper to just make a single set of chips like intel is doing with haswell and just including gfx on the chip regardless

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Everyone keeps showing that server roadmap ignoring the consumer one that has been out for a while sort of annoys me

AMD FX series are the best "bang for the buck", no doubt about that. I wouldn't want to see them go away because they are a really good alternative for those who are on a budget. If they actually rename it with the release of a new architecture I'm fine with it, as long as the performance is similar or better and the price is low as well.

I doubt this is the end of performance CPUs from AMD but it might make things simpler for their consumers if they stick to FM2 and go the APU route on everything (similar to what intel has been doing with their CPUs, after all).

It has been clear for a while to me at least that this has been AMD's plan all along, moving towards a processor that contains both serial & parallel elements that work in harmony was and still is AMD's number one focus.

This is why the modular core design was developed in the first place, this also explains the weakness of the modular core design.

The poor floating point performance for example was intentional, AMD intended for all floating point operations to be handed over to the GPU when HSA and hUMA arrive, which is with Kaveri only a few months away and that is why they focused their design attention towards integer performance rather than floating point performance, because the CPU was never meant to deal with floating point operations, that's the GPU's job.

Like John Carmack said, once he as a developer can tap into each GPU core on the APU and program it individually as if it was a CPU core, only then will we see a breakthrough in technology and performance, that is exactly what AMD's goal is with HSA (Heterogenous System Architecture) & hUMA (Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access).

The essence of AMD's future success will depend entirely on HSA adoption & with massive names such as Samsung & Qualcomm listed under the members of the HSA foundation right there along with AMD, you can rest assured that adoption will come inevitably.

EDIT: The claim is based on a VR-Zone article which has very little credit to it, however, other very credible sources in the tech industry agree with my statement, as in AMD will shift their entire focus onto APUs and hold off the CPUs for now.

I doubt this is the end of performance CPUs from AMD but it might make things simpler for their consumers if they stick to FM2 and go the APU route on everything (similar to what intel has been doing with their CPUs, after all).

I could see a switch to fm2, Am3 is just a old socket and they need a new socket or fm2.

already posted, and this is so fucking false
but I know for sure next gen is on FM2

Sounds false to me.

Also, your profile picture scared me. :(

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Perhaps it wont be called FX but we already know there plans for steamroller which will be the mega FX enhancer. Beyond this the AM3+ chipset will not die as they also have already stated this. 

Case:NZXT Tempest 410 MOBO:Gigabyte 990fx UD3 CPU:FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz CPU-Cooler:NZXT Havik 140 GPU:MSI 7790 @ 1200mhz RAM:Patriot Viper 3 HDD:WD 1tb SSD:Kingston V300 PSU:RM750 

#KilledMyWife  

Everyone keeps showing that server roadmap ignoring the consumer one that has been out for a while sort of annoys me

The consumer roadmap also clearly shows that there won't be a steamroller based FX CPU this year, only APUs.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27878-there-will-be-no-high-end-steamroller-cpus-from-amd/?p=354456

The consumer roadmap also clearly shows that there won't be a steamroller based FX CPU this year, only APUs.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27878-there-will-be-no-high-end-steamroller-cpus-from-amd/?p=354456

I meant the part about their being no high end platform when amd will being releasing steamroller in Q1 2014. 

AMD FX series are the best "bang for the buck", no doubt about that. I wouldn't want to see them go away because they are a really good alternative for those who are on a budget. If they actually rename it with the release of a new architecture I'm fine with it, as long as the performance is similar or better and the price is low as well.

Same the FX series is great

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

http://wccftech.com/amd-possibly-abandoning-entire-fx-processors-lineup/

does this mean the end of high-end AMD CPUs?

or does it mean that are just going to put there high-end CPUs on the FM2 socket and just add a small GPU on and call it an APU

Well I don't know but I was a AMD fan boy for a long time when I had no money so I hope they can keep putting out high-end CPUs even if they aren't on par with Intel's 

D: the first creepy pasta avatar 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Shit just as I was celebrating FX boosts in games...

At least Ill get the final of a series that's pretty cool.

I understand business plans change, but if this is true. AMD has been holding us AM3+  board owners hostage. They've promised at lease 1 more CPU iteration for the chipset.  Now, to just focus on APU with fm2+  is kinda crazy to me.  If they chose to kill the FX name and brand, SO be it.  But what happened to 1090fx? improved memory controller?  So we are  left with a lame duck chipset.    :angry:

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! i really hope this doesn't happen! I love AMD!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is what I think:

They already have an 8 core APU (XBOX-PS4) with a pretty good GPU inside! 7850 level is a good performer, better than GTX 560ti wich ALOT of people are gaming happily @ 1080p. Anyhow, that GPU inside can only get better in time, as well as the CPU! An 8 core Escavator @ not record breaking clocks, with a 7970 level of performance will make Intel regret entering the APU race. Oh, and the best part will be this: if you want moar GPU horsepower, instal an R9 second generation discreet video card and surprise! The GPU side of the APU is not disabled but it works in a complicated hUMA enabled Crossfire thing: something like a dedicated PhisicX processor but much more usefull due to the fact that console games are all using this technique at full potential.
The CPU horsepower of FX8350 and Core 3770K is enough for a consumer, wich we all (gamers, normal office workers, some lightweight editors/photoshopers are). If you are Linus, you need a workstation CPU, then get an Opteron 12 Cores  (6 GHZ maybe?) for that! Games needs better GPUs for now on... 4K is around the corner and we are NOT limited by the CPUs! And it's not like 10 years ago when a better CPU=better web browsing and better overall experience. You now can't recognise the difference between I3 Ivy and 3970X on a normal usage AND gamind @ 4K without benchmarkind. 

The thing is: give me real accelerated CPUs and give me the posibility to keep that when installing a discreet video card and BYE BYE AM3+/AM4!

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I think amd needs to do something about how power hungry there CPUs I love how intel is focusing on power in Australia power isn't as cheap as Americans and Canadians probs even eu

The FX series were horrible when compared to phenoms, and even athlons.Maybe if they went for real cores on their advertised  8-core it would not be that bad

but since it is technically only a quad core, not much of an improvement.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

It has been clear for a while to me at least that this has been AMD's plan all along, moving towards a processor that contains both serial & parallel elements that work in harmony was and still is AMD's number one focus.

This is why the modular core design was developed in the first place, this also explains the weakness of the modular core design.

The poor floating point performance for example was intentional, AMD intended for all floating point operations to be handed over to the GPU when HSA and hUMA arrive, which is with Kaveri only a few months away and that is why they focused their design attention towards integer performance rather than floating point performance, because the CPU was never meant to deal with floating point operations, that's the GPU's job.

Like John Carmack said, once he as a developer can tap into each GPU core on the APU and program it individually as if it was a CPU core, only then will we see a breakthrough in technology and performance, that is exactly what AMD's goal is with HSA (Heterogenous System Architecture) & hUMA (Heterogeneous Uniform Memory Access).

The essence of AMD's future success will depend entirely on HSA adoption & with massive names such as Samsung & Qualcomm listed under the members of the HSA foundation right there along with AMD, you can rest assured that adoption will come inevitably.

EDIT: The claim is based on a VR-Zone article which has very little credit to it, however, other very credible sources in the tech industry agree with my statement, as in AMD will shift their entire focus onto APUs and hold off the CPUs for now.

Of course, AMD did mention of creating a unified socket after FM2+ combining the big cores with integrated graphics on one chip, however that is nowhere in sight and that's at least 3 years in the future, I think this source is just a sensationalist "journalist' looking for clicks. Be in mind that this will be the future however that future is not today, the earliest expected for that unified socket would be AM4, or whatever the new socket is called. as Steamroller uses AM3+ it will have no functionality for integrated because of the chipsets and platform, however with Excavator it might be entirely possible, however I think that would be too early.

This article is the biggest pile of shit I have seen especially when they just "revealed" the "leak" of phenon 4 with 12 cores at 6Ghz with a 75w TDP, all built onto 25nm NAND FLASH LITHOGRAPH, Dont make me laugh, this is what they call modern journalism with either fear mongering or just blatant sensationalist articles to foster clicks. This site permanently scarred their credibility.