I dunno anything how networking-Help

cakez

Hello guys,I don't know anything about internet and stuff so can you plz tell me what routers and stuff  like repeaters and acces points are.Thank you

Hello guys,I don't know anything about internet and stuff so can you plz tell me what routers and stuff  like repeaters and acces points are.Thank you

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Router: that box that gives you WiFi and wired internet that probably hangs somewhere in your house. It's the border between your network and the outside network. Basically picks up the internet so you can distribute in your own house. (Some brands of routers: D-Link, Asus, AVM (FritzBox)

Repeater: picks up the internet or WiFi signal from your router and sends out this signal again so devices on the other side of the house have WiFi too. You can connect it via WiFi or a cable to your router and it sends out WiFi. (Some brands: Sitecom and AVM are very popular)

Access Points: Something you can connect to via WiFi to get internet. This can be your router or any of your repeaters. 

If you have any more questions, be sure to quote me and ask

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• Modem = Device that DEModulates analog signals coming from your phone line into digital signals that are comprehensible for your computer or devices.
  • Router = Device that forwards data packets between computer networks.
  • Repeater = (If you are talking about wireless) Device which has the purpose to REPEAT and extend wireless signal and strength.

I hope this helped, i also learned some new stuff researching for this! :D

Router: that box that gives you WiFi and wired internet that probably hangs somewhere in your house. It's the border between your network and the outside network. Basically picks up the internet so you can distribute in your own house. (Some brands of routers: D-Link, Asus, AVM (FritzBox)

Repeater: picks up the internet or WiFi signal from your router and sends out this signal again so devices on the other side of the house have WiFi too. You can connect it via WiFi or a cable to your router and it sends out WiFi. (Some brands: Sitecom and AVM are very popular)

Access Points: Something you can connect to via WiFi to get internet. This can be your router or any of your repeaters. 

If you have any more questions, be sure to quote me and ask

so if I want really good internet I put a lot of repeaters?

No. 

They can interfere with each other a lot. Which would suck.

And it wouldn't make your internet speeds better too probably, since it is still the same signal from the router.

The best way is probably by just using ethernet on most of your devices and maybe 1 repeator (preferably connected through ethernet, so it gets signal via ethernet and sends out WiFi) halfway from the router to the place where you want good WiFi.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• Plug your computer into your modem
If you have multiple devices plug your modem into the WAN port of a routerIf the router has a built in switch plug your devices into the switch ports (usually numbered 1-4)If you router doesn't have a built in switch buy a switch and plug it into your LAN port.  Plug your devices into the switchIf you want to use Wifi buy a router with wireless capability (N or AC...AC is newer)If you have a huge house you may want to add access points by wiring them to your LAN/Switch portsRepeaters & Powerline are not ideal

If you want really good coverage, you should use a few access point. They do not repeat the signal but they will broadcast a new signal. It is faster and more stable.

No. 

They can interfere with each other a lot. Which would suck.

And it wouldn't make your internet speeds better too probably, since it is still the same signal from the router.

The best way is probably by just using ethernet on most of your devices and maybe 1 repeator (preferably connected through ethernet, so it gets signal via ethernet and sends out WiFi) halfway from the router to the place where you want good WiFi.

k,but in linus's video they had more then 1 acces point so yeah..

access points and repeaters are two different things.

access point is not necessarily a repeator and sure it wont always be bad.. But in a normal sized house where so many repeators would just be a few meters apart from each other, they will interfere with each other.

access point is not necessarily a repeator and sure it wont always be bad.. But in a normal sized house where so many repeators would just be a few meters apart from each other, they will interfere with each other.

If you want really good coverage, you should use a few access point. They do not repeat the signal but they will broadcast a new signal. It is faster and more stable.

how do I do that?

• If you have a huge house you may want to add access points by wiring them to your LAN/Switch ports
  • Repeaters & Powerline are not ideal

• Repeaters & Powerline are not ideal

powerline can be very helpful depending on your house wiring... it saved my sanity allowing to position modem properly rather than bad position.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

how do I do that?

You just buy access points and place them in your house. You connect an ethernet cable to it and set the configuration settings for each access point. You can set the same SSID's so you can roam between the access points.