Advice on choosing DDR4 RAM speed.

Go to solution Solved by Zhuocheng,

Ram speed does little to nothing to affect game preformance. I'll stick with the Crucial Ballistix Sport.

So I initially ordered a kit of DDR4-2133 MHz RAM from NCIX. I returned it and got this:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (2X8GB) DDR4 2400 MT/S(PC4-19200) CL16 Dr X8 Unbuffered DIMM 288PIN for $155.91

I noticed that it is only one notch above the 2133. It is unopened and I am considering returning it to get something faster.

The problem is that I am really indecisive about what speed to get. I also don't want to keep returning things.

Can anyone recommend a RAM speed that would be ideal for a Skylake 6600K system? Would DDR4-2800 or DDR4-3000 be sufficient? or is DDR4-2400 still "good enough"?

This machine will definitely be for gaming, occasional programming, media pc.

If you can get some 2400mhz or higher, and CL14 RAM that would be perfect for your system

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Ram speed does little to nothing to affect game preformance. I'll stick with the Crucial Ballistix Sport.

You will see no difference in performance between any of those RAM kits. Not for what you said you're using it for at least. 

There are some applications that have MASSIVE boosts in performance by going with faster RAM.

But fortunately, what you mentioned is not one of those, and as such, you'll see absolutely no difference, whatever the Kit you use.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What ever looks the best to you and is at price point you like. The varying speeds of ddr4 will not affect performance in most use cases at this point in time.

alright thanks guys...you have convinced me, I'm sticking with the Crucials

There are some applications that have MASSIVE boosts in performance by going with faster RAM.

But fortunately, what you mentioned is not one of those, and as such, you'll see absolutely no difference, whatever the Kit you use.

Just curious, what applications benefit from faster memory ? 

Just curious, what applications benefit from faster memory ? 

I'll mention a few things:

1. You'll be able to understand this first one: Boinc, in particular PrimeGrid. For small tasks, RAM speed was completely irrelevant. HOWEVER, it was discovered that for huge tasks, ones that take over weeks of non-stop processing, bumping RAM from a mere 1333mhz to 1600 provided a 15% boost in speed - in other words, it speed up things by days. We're talking Haswell here, Skylake studies are on the way (as soon as the guy in charge gets his hands on it). And there are other projects that show a similar trend too.
  2. Another one would be using the iGPU of processors. Since that makes use of system RAM, instead of a dedicated pool like GDDR5, faster RAM = better performance, period.
  3. To finish up, winrar / 7-zip compression, as well as encoding, those also benefit form better RAM. Although the effect is very noticeable on paper, it's unlikely that you'll do such tasks THAT often to really care. But hey, if someone ever asks you to build a machine

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'll mention a few things:

1. You'll be able to understand this first one: Boinc, in particular PrimeGrid. For small tasks, RAM speed was completely irrelevant. HOWEVER, it was discovered that for huge tasks, ones that take over weeks of non-stop processing, bumping RAM from a mere 1333mhz to 1600 provided a 15% boost in speed - in other words, it speed up things by days. We're talking Haswell here, Skylake studies are on the way (as soon as the guy in charge gets his hands on it). And there are other projects that show a similar trend too.
  2. Another one would be using the iGPU of processors. Since that makes use of system RAM, instead of a dedicated pool like GDDR5, faster RAM = better performance, period.
  3. To finish up, winrar / 7-zip compression, as well as encoding, those also benefit form better RAM. Although the effect is very noticeable on paper, it's unlikely that you'll do such tasks THAT often to really care. But hey, if someone ever asks you to build a machine

Thanks for the info, interesting, I'll research a bit more about that iGPU you speak of.