2 of the same CPUs running at different speeds

I'm talking about an  i3-4150.

My friend and I built extremely similar PC's together. Mine mainly has an i3-4150 and an R9 280x. His an i3-4150 and an R9 290.

We noticed that I often got better performance than him on games even on a slightly-inferior card.

We did a benchmark, and here are the results:

Mine: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/342243

His: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/342240

We both have no idea as to why his CPU score would be so much worse for the same CPU.

It may be worth noting that I'm running some form of Windows 7 and that he is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Any and all answers are appreciated. Thanks!

Why is he running Windows Server :facepalm:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

!!!Very high ambient CPU load. These results have reduced accuracy because the CPU was active before the benchmark even started. Check CPU load with windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).

this may have tampered with things.

^This.

Just grab yourselves Windows 10 and be done with it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I'm talking about an  i3-4150.

My friend and I built extremely similar PC's together. Mine mainly has an i3-4150 and an R9 280x. His an i3-4150 and an R9 290.

We noticed that I often got better performance than him on games even on a slightly-inferior card.

We did a benchmark, and here are the results:

Mine: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/342243

His: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/342240

We both have no idea as to why his CPU score would be so much worse for the same CPU.

It may be worth noting that I'm running some form of Windows 7 and that he is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Any and all answers are appreciated. Thanks!

Both of you have stupid high background as it said. That completely invalidates any and all results.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

this may have tampered with things.

We're both running at about 10% load after we closed the benchmark. EDIT: No clue where it got that % from... I closed the benchmark and waited a bit and it was at 10%. It could have been ramped up because we both just closed a game and the history hadn't averaged out yet.

No clue.

Both of you have stupid high background as it said. That completely invalidates any and all results

It's definitely not a huge amount. We're running at equal loads. EDIT: No clue where it got that % from... I closed the benchmark and waited a bit and it was at 10%. It could have been ramped up because we both just closed a game and the history hadn't averaged out yet.

Have him upgrade to a a real OS; a NOS is not suitable for a client its meant for servers.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

We're both running at about 10% load after we closed the benchmark.

No clue.

It's definitely not a huge amount. We're running at equal loads.

The benchmark was saying you were sitting at nearly 50% load before starting.

Also you both should run the test from a fresh restart. He had an uptime of over 3 days which on an i3 can definitely slow stuff down with background processes.

This sort of testing is about eliminating all possible variables.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The benchmark was saying you were sitting at nearly 50% load before starting.

Also you both should run the test from a fresh restart. He had an uptime of over 3 days which on an i3 can definitely slow stuff down with background processes.

This sort of testing is about eliminating all possible variables.

I understand that we tested in an extremely unscientific environment.

The fact of the matter is that he consistently has worse performance than me, no matter what he does. If we spend time and come back with the same results, what will you chalk it up to?

The fact of the matter is that he consistently has worse performance than me, no matter what he does. If we spend time and come back with the same results, what will you chalk it up to?

1. Processes in the background. He may have more stuff sucking the system's resources than you do. Make a fres install of the OS to solve the issue
  2. Bad OS. Really, there is a reason for the Windows Server OS being called "server". Installing a new, actually decent OS will do wonders here.
  3. Cooling. Maybe his PC is overheating, and thus performance decreases.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

^

And if that is the case, then perhaps some possibilities will actually be removed (and other supported). I mean really.. Do you actually want to know why or not?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS