MSI GTX 980ti Gaming G6 underperforming? Need some advice!

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I built my very first PC. For this build, I used a MSI GTX 980ti Gaming 6G, and I am sad to say I am a bit disappointed by it's performance. I overclocked it with afterburner and this is what I got stable: http://i.imgur.com/PlWBf5T.png

These are the benchmarks I get in Heaven: http://i.imgur.com/rCsKM78.png and this one in 3dmark: http://i.imgur.com/rYJZheb.jpg

Am I just overreacting and are these scores okay, or should I be worried? This is my first gaming PC, and I started benchmarking and overclocking purely because Crysis 3 had high amounts of lag on the highest settings..

If this isn't normal, I am sending it back and I will try out a Gigabyte Gaming G1 980ti.

Key specs:

i7 5930k (stable overclock at ~4.4ghz)

16GB Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 @ 2800MHZ

Samsung EVO 500 SSD

Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler

Seems like you just got a poor OC card. If it bothers you enough just order another one and return the one you got now in the box the new(hopefully better) one came in.

Other than the ol' switcharoo technique I'm not too sure what you can do besides just deal unfortunately :/

Or it could be bottlenecked somewhere else if you wanna post some specs...

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Is it running at 100% ?

You could have just gotten a slower OC'ing card 

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I have added the key specs:

Samsung EVO 500 SSD

And yes, it seems to be running full speed.

I have added the key specs:

Samsung EVO 500 SSD

And yes, it seems to be running full speed.

Yeah something seems strange. I hate to be that guy but be sure you rule out any possible driver issues if you haven't already.

If you do end up getting a new card I'd reccommend looking into this.

http://galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-6GB_p_82.html

Not everyday you see these in stock in the US and they usually cost about double what they are worth when you do.

The funny thing is, I can;t get it past 109. I don't know why...perhaps because I'm unlucky and it is indeed a bad card?

The funny thing is, I can;t get it past 109. I don't know why...perhaps because I'm unlucky and it is indeed a bad card?

Trust me, we all have bad luck sometimes. Still a great card for what it is.

They call it the lottery cause that's really what it is. Most people new to the game expect a great OC card everytime but honestly results closer to yours are more common. No doubt you got a dud though but at least you can get the excitement of card shopping again (:

Trust me, we all have bad luck sometimes. Still a great card for what it is.

They call it the lottery cause that's really what it is. Most people new to the game expect a great OC card everytime but honestly results closer to yours are more common. No doubt you got a dud though but at least you can get the excitement of card shopping again (:

Ah, I see! Well, I guess you're right! This time around I will go for a Gigabyte Gaming G1. I read that they are great overclockers, even though coil whine is a common issue. Hopefully I have more luck this time :)

Ah, I see! Well, I guess you're right! This time around I will go for a Gigabyte Gaming G1. I read that they are great overclockers, even though coil whine is a common issue. Hopefully I have more luck this time :)

I believe you will. Don't take ths to heart as EVERYONE alive, except for me and me alone(well you too lol) has great success with MSI products.

I have personally had several of their mobo's and GPU's though and every single one has died on me within 6 months to a year. I seriously think it's just bad luck though cause everyone else has nothing but great experiences.

I think you may just be hated by MSI like me haha.

I have nothing against MSI, I believe you are right and it's just a case of bad luck. However, if I had your luck with MSI products, I might have had a different attitude :P

Anyway, I have ordered the Gigabyte Gaming G1 980ti and it should arrive on my doorstep tommorow morning! :D

Nice! If you ever decide to SLI, a HoF 980 Ti would look great under the one you already have :)