To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZetZet

Why do North Americans buy drinks in small bottles?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Whenever I look at videos on youtube and stuff I always notice that people in United States and Canada always buy small bottles and cans of water or soft drinks. Why is that? In europe it's pretty much accepted to buy bigger bottles, 1.5l for example to be more green and save money?

What triggered this question is the recent LTT moving vlog where I saw a pack of like 36 0.5l size water bottles in a package. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

Xeon 1230v2, B75 Pro3-M, 16GB Crucial Ballistix, Msi TF GTX760, Crucial M500, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, CM G550M, Fractal Arc Mini.

Easier to distribute among all of the people in the office I guess

Whenever I look at videos on youtube and stuff I always notice that people in United States and Canada always buy small bottles and cans of water or soft drinks. Why is that? In europe it's pretty much accepted to buy bigger bottles, 1.5l for example to be more green and save money?

What triggered this question is the recent LTT moving vlog where I saw a pack of like 36 0.5l size water bottles in a package. 

Because it's 'convenient'. Also the majority of the US (ESP the midwest) has literally no use for bottled water but people are stupid and buy it anyways.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Because of two things, obesity and diabetes. 

mind you it hasn't helped much. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Portability. We still sell the larger bottles as well.

I like smaller bottles. If it's pop, for example, it won't go flat as fast. I absolutely hate buying 2L bottles of pop, to the point I'll either get cans or nothing at all.

The greatest invention was the little 237ml cans of pop.
I just wish they came in a wider variety of flavors.

Why do you buy such large bottles?

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Here in Norway its VERY uncommon to purchase water, infact i never do it, i drink tap water, our water is much cleaner than in other countries. When i try tap water in other countries it tastes like chlorine.

Portability. We still sell the larger bottles as well.I like smaller bottles. If it's pop, for example, it won't go flat as fast. I absolutely hate buying 2L bottles of pop, to the point I'll either get cans or nothing at all.

The greatest invention was the little 237ml cans of pop.

I just wish they came in a wider variety of flavors.

Why do you buy such large bottles?

to save money and don't waste so much resources in packaging?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

Xeon 1230v2, B75 Pro3-M, 16GB Crucial Ballistix, Msi TF GTX760, Crucial M500, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, CM G550M, Fractal Arc Mini.

Here in Norway its VERY uncommon to purchase water, infact i never do it, i drink tap water, our water is much cleaner than in other countries. When i try tap water in other countries it tastes like chlorine.

how dare you look down on us chlorine drinkers

GOOD DAY SIR

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Truth.

Not only that, but drinking tap water will make you stronger. You can more antibodies.

The water here is also super clean, to the point most towns around here get their water bottled and sold abroad.

When I buy bottled water I always try getting the coolest 1.5L bottle I can find, I think the fiji bottle its the perfect size for me. 

Yes! Me too.

I try to avoid ones that add too many extras though.

That VitaWater for example. Contains as much sugar as pop.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Because here, we pay 25 cents per bottle, we need to return it to get our money back.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

to save money and don't waste so much resources in packaging?

If one recycles the bottles it's not really wasting resources.

I guess it might be cheaper, but a hell of a lot less convenient. Cost<Convenience.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

If one recycles the bottles it's not really wasting resources.

I guess it might be cheaper, but a hell of a lot less convenient. Cost<Convenience.

it still is wasting resources, recycling is not 100% returns. Especially on metal cans.

Spoiler

Well I live in Netherlands, and I still purchase water with bubbles in the summer to keep it cool in the fridge :)

PRO Tip: Mineral water + syrup = awesome healthy soda

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

it still is wasting resources, recycling is not 100% returns. Especially on metal cans.

Yet it's better than nothing at all.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

Bigger bottles are for pouring into a glass..I thought this was common sense.

Who the hell walks around sipping from a 2L bottle anyways

who doesn't have a glass? You don't buy 36 pack of small bottles if you plan to walk around either.

Spoiler

I never understand why people buy bottled water in Canada. We have a 3rd of the worlds fresh water. and Ontario where I am alone we have over 250 thousand lakes. Its not like we are running low on natural water resources any time soon.

Yes! Me too.

I try to avoid ones that add too many extras though.

That VitaWater for example. Contains as much sugar as pop.

Smart water and Fiji taste the best to me, arrowhead being the worst at the moment. Is pop the same as soda or is it a particular brand of beverage? 

I have the big packs of smaller bottles, I take 2 in my backpack every day

so you take two bottles when you could get one instead, exactly my point.

Spoiler

I drink my water by the 2 liter bottle and when I drink soda it is in small amount... Like 6oz so I am not the norm apparently. 

home filtration and a few reusable bottles and I have clean water everywhere I go for about 50$ (not the best filtration but bottled water isnt always that great either).  I just use a brita but will probably get a better filtration system soon

edit: to answer the original question it is because most of us dont care about anything but convenience and will destroy the entire planet before we spend an extra minute or two on anything... ever..   completely fucked up

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Smart water and Fiji taste the best to me, arrowhead being the worst at the moment. Is pop the same as soda or is it a particular brand of beverage? 

I'm a huge fan of Aquafina, Fiji, and surprisingly 7-11. Though their water comes from Pemberton BC, so I'm not too surprised there.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler