Corsair H80i vs. be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2

Barodil

Hey guys!

I am going to build a new PC this year (waiting how the new Intel an Nvidia stuff turns out) so I began to look for some hardware I can already chose like Case, CPU Cooling, etc.

I came along the idea to build a "dark" theme, air cooled system. Therefore the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 would be a great choice since it features an overall black design, is pretty quiet an seems to be on the same cooling level as a Noctua NH-D14 or a Silver Arrow (more or less).

Of course the DRP2 is an good option but big airheatsinks cover a lot of the system, just due to their massive size, and stress the Mainboard with their high weight. Something like a Corsair H80i (I don't want to use a H100i because it's 240mm) seems to be another possible solution. And with those SP120 quiet fans it should not be to loud either.

I already searched for comparisons in performance but I could not identify a clear winner. Maybe you have some advice which solution would be the best choice (yes we have no clear facts about the hardware I will use) for looks, noise and coolingperformence.

Already thanks to the great LTT Comunity! I think I will post a buildlog when the time has come biggrin.png

Barodil

PS: Thank Linus and Slick for this forum. It's going to be awesome!

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

For aestetics i would go with the "dark rock pro 2"

If i want better performance i would buy the H80i

[h=3][/h]

Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2... hmmm

you can throw you H80/ into the dustbin

They dont stress the Motherboard.. when using the Backplate correctly there is just a little more stress to your MoBo then with something liek an H80i..

I would go for the Silverarrow Extreme / DRP2

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

then go for the drp2

i hate the colour of the fans, that are included with the silverarrow extreme...

The H80i will only benefit you alot more at higher temperatures, it also adds the noise of the pump onto that of the two radiator fans.

Although it is very large, I'd still get a NH D-14 and swap out the fans for AP121s to keep the black theme throughout.

The H80i does not benefit him in any higher Temperatures.. at Load the Silverarrow/DRP2 differs way from the H80i.. Linus hat some testing with a SIlverarrow and the H80.. the silverarrow DESTROYED the prefilled liquid cooling Unit called "H80"

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

I have a DRP2 and it's HUGE! It's pretty though. Just remember that it covers up some slots on your MOBO maybe, it does on mine, a Rampage IV Extreme. Luckily my ram fits under it (just), because I have used all my 8 slots (32GB).

I might change to X40 though because the DRP2 is so heavy I think it might be bad for my motherboard in the long run.

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

air coolers are huge

dealwithit.jpg

I do like the looks of an air cooler and the weight on the motherboard doesn't matter if it is correctly installed. those coolers are tested for that. In my opninion, i find a thick 120mm rad really ugly.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

Ok, seems like my tendency towards the DRP2 is comfirmed.

Man, this will be so cool... :cool:

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

I actually have a Dark Rock Pro 2 to cool a moderately overclocked 3570k. I will add that when i built my PC and torture tested it with Prime 95 for 24 hours i did not hear the DRP2 at all.

It performs great and looks amazing you will be very happy. :)

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558