CNN and CBC Canada sued for pirating a YouTube video

Bouzoo

We hear everyday about someone pirating videos, many people do it, actually we all probably did it at some point. Youtube videos get taken down due to copyright (talking about dumb cases like the recent Pixels case), people get sued, movie, game and music studios are like wild dogs when it comes to pirating in general, but what we don't hear is when TV networks are sued over the same thing. But why are they being sued, you might ask. There are many cases when TV networks just use Youtube videos without asking the person that owns the video, so this time one person decided to act.

His name is Alfonzo Cutaia and he uploaded this video of a winter storm on Youtube. Since the video went viral, he decided to monetize it under a "Standard YouTube License". That allows Youtube to broadcast the video on Youtube, but you have all the copyrights.

The day after uploading, news outlets were getting in touch asking for permission to use the footage in a broadcast. However, it turns out that CBC went ahead and aired the video without permission, using the channel’s own logo as an overlay. So how did this end up happening?

Well according to CBC, the channel obtained the footage from CNN on a ten day license. However, Cutaia did not give permission to CNN to use the footage in the first place and claims that the networks used the footage for many months, even after the supposed license should have expired.

Cutaia’s lawsuit is seeking injunctions against CBC and CNN to stop using the video. The two networks are said to have intentionally violated copyright law and apparently also violated a DMCA notice. 

Cutala’s lawsuit doesn’t mention any specific monetary numbers for damages, but it does insist that a trial be held so a jury can decide on that. At present, the Buffalo Lake Effect video has over 3.6 million views over on YouTube.

I like this and I'm sure many will. Since "normal people" are getting sued over many things, and sometimes end up being abused by corporations in general, it's good to see someone taking the game back to them. I hope more people do this, just to show them they don't own everything.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

And that my friend is why when you put something on youtube you have to accept that you have no control over it.

I don't care about CNN but CBC should not be involved. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Could be an important precedent for similar cases in the future.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

this was in the video description

"This was taken from my office window in the Guaranty Building where I work as an intellectual property attorney"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wašíču tȟóȟʼaŋ.

Íŋše čhignáyaŋpi. :lol:

edit

just messing around y'all ain't serious

Edited by Albatross

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You seem to have misread something along the way: he's suing them.

OH christ i did misread.

"This was taken from my office window in the Guaranty Building where I work as an intellectual property attorney"

Somehow I missed that. Nice catch.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

LOL, couldnt have gotten any worse for them

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Really how hard is it to ask for permission to use a video. All they had to do was send an email using the email address on the 'About' tab of his channel.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

Bahaha oops. CNN stole from the wrong guy. He's going to take them to the cleaners in court.

I'm unsure of how I feel about CBC involvement here. Assuming CBC did get the video from CNN under a license, and didn't violate that CNN license, then how could they have known? In that case, CBC would be just as much a victim as the video creator. CNN would be fully at fault.

But we'll see. If CBC knew where CNN got the video, or if CBC used it past the 10 day license anyway, then both could be at fault.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you read the video description, this guy is actually an intellectual property lawyer... He's gonna sue the living shit out of them because this is what he does all day every day... GG Media Whore companies

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Well according to CBC, the channel obtained the footage from CNN on a ten day license. However, Cutaia did not give permission to CNN to use the footage in the first place and claims that the networks used the footage for many months, even after the supposed license should have expired.

This was in the OP, so it looks like CBC used the video longer than the ten days that they supposedly got permission to use it for.  Either way CNN is the main one at fault with this.

I very often wondered about this. You see newspaper sites constantly used private viral videos from youtube and other sites on their news sites....and then put ads on it which must earn them a fortune.

I check newspapers websites pretty regularly from british, american, german and danish papers and there are newspaper sites in all four places that do this.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

i honestly hope he wins. Even if he just settles out of court, i really do hope he wins.

I hope he doesn't settle and this case sets a precedent for intellectual property. I want freebooting to be completely illegal.

About damn time, if you ask me. Also, they could not have found a better guy to "steal" footage from, let's see if this can set a precedent in favor of YouTube content creators.

I wish it were Fox News though... Maybe next time ;)