My rant on Alienware.

xTrixieHD

Well, back in 2013 i payed $3000 for a baseline alienware 17 with a 770m and a i7 4700MQ.

(Spoiler alert, not worth it.)

I just payed $3000 for a fucking piece of shit that has 1 fan defective, always switches to integrated graphics, yes alt F5 Doesn't do jack. And plays Beamng on lowest settings with stuttering and at 10fps. this is NOT Acceptable for a $3000 Laptop., Anyone going to buy an alienware. DO NOT. They are scamming and all you pay for is to look like a complete pleb with your flashy gamer lights. I've heard they've gotten a lot better. but i'm never fucking going back to that hellhole again. Honestly i think the gpu is dead. And i bought this computer from JB hi fi, not Amazon, so you can rule shitty stores out. Even though i've got a perfectly good desktop that cost HALF AS MUCH. Yes, Half. That plays beamng at high at 60-58 FPS. with 5 Year old Hardware. seriously Alienware is as bad as Mad catz and razer. just paying for the flash, but there never was any dash. and for that price, i'm sorry is fucking ridiculous.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Alienware is bad, but build quality is usually not an issue in my experience, having owned and fixed a few. What they are is overpriced, and plain deceitful to customers. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Alienware is bad, but build quality is usually not an issue in my experience, having owned and fixed a few. What they are is overpriced, and plain deceitful to customers. 

The build quality, i have to say is pretty good, i've dropped it down the stairs and off my chair multiple times.

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

But i put different thermal paste on the gpu cooler thinking it was that,

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

But i put different thermal paste on the gpu cooler thinking it was that,

In short. You rant about a product because it is defective, then praise the build quality because you "dropped it Down some stairs and chairs multiple times". And lastely you dont even know anything about customer support since you havent tried.

BTW they dont care that  you changed the thermal paste, they might however care that you treated the laptop like snip....

The build quality, i have to say is pretty good, i've dropped it down the stairs and off my chair multiple times.

It's very possible you have a dead card. Given you still have a warranty, get in contact with them, and solve it that way (but be prepared for incompetence)

If you are out of warranty, you still have some options.

First, we can verify that the gpu is indeed dead.

Then, there you have a few options. 

The gpu is likely (though I don't know what model you have's specifics, haven't looked into it, it's possible this is not the case) an MXM 3.0 card, meaning it's removable.

Unfortunately. replacing them isn't as simple as desktop cards, and neither is buying them- they are not cheap. 

But, given you are comfortable with working on the laptop with some instruction, you can either-

-Replace the card with a compatible one (and if you want to, upgrade)

-Attempt a reflow. Given laptop GPUs more often die from heat than other causes, this can be attempted. While it's not guaranteed to work, it's worth trying. This can be done with a conventional oven in place of a proper reflow oven, and I can give specific instructions for that process.

If you just want to get rid of the laptop (after verifying the sate of the GPU) surprisingly, alienware has a high resale value, like apple. All in the name mainly. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

In short. You rant about a product because it is defective, then praise the build quality because you "dropped it Down some stairs and chairs multiple times". And lastely you dont even know anything about customer support since you havent tried.

BTW they dont care that  you changed the thermal paste, they might however care that you treated the laptop like snip....

It's not just me. many other people hate alienware.

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

My brother had a similar problem with his MX17R3 that cost about 3500€.

BSOD after BSOD after BSOD after overheating. When it came fresh out of the box that is.

The support guy basically replaced everything but the screen the four time he came to our house. Same shit over and over and over.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Then keep asking for a working one, you have right to do so.

those price tag comes with support, even they provide on-site support (as in they come into your location)

and looking at your rant, you've done nothing, ofcourse I will be upset if I get defective products, I have no loyalty to certain brand, defectives products comes & go everytime, but I will be even more concern if the company who make it doesn't respond for that problem, but in this case... you are not even trying.

which in many case all those users also act like you do, they've done nothing because they didn't know that those products have better support than any other pre-build company.

They have phone number

email

twitter

facebook etc I might not know.

have you tried to contact any of that?

Wat. I could play BeamNG on my old Alienware 14 with 4700MQ and 765M at like 60FPS. Have you tried right-clicking the application and then make it run with the NVIDIA card? And you don't press Alt + F5, it is Fn + F5.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap