How much do you care and would spend on audio

toben67

I guess I would go ham and spend tons of money on audio if I didn't game. I mean spend $500 on audio when you can get another graphics card or a CPU upgrade

But at the same time you would spend say $700 on a 980 ti and still want to change it a couple years later. An audio product is meant to be kept for a long time (over a decade, and for headphones it would be even more).

How much would you guys spend on audio? When you can spend it on alot more other things graphics card Peripherals ect.

Choice 1

As long as if it makes sound its fine by me ($10-$15 earbuds Beats bye Dre)

Choice 2

It needs to sound ok I don't care too much (Razer Kraken "typical gaming headset")

Choice 3

I would spend more for better sound yet wouldn't go all out (HyperX Cloud, Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism, Sennheiser HD 518,Low end headphones,high end headset)

Choice 4

I care quite a bit yet I don't want to spend more than X amount (Sennheiser HD 558 or 598, Audio Technica M50, Audio Technica ATH ATH AD500x or 700x)

Choice 5

I care alot and will go all out in terms of audio (Choice 4 headphones or higher end with a DAC/AMP)

I guess choice 5 for my home audio, but I won't spend the same $500 on something like IE80 for portable use.

But at the same time you would spend say $700 on a 980 ti and still want to change it a couple years later. An audio product is meant to be kept for a long time (over a decade, and for headphones it would be even more).

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I invested so much money on peripherals.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

no.4

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

I disagree, actually. I was playing like ass at CS when I was using a really nice pair of closed headphones, but as soon as I got my new open backs in the mail, I started top fragging again. For some reason, I can't play CS well without a pair of good open backs/iems. The reflections and resonances inherent with closed back really screws my brain up.

I realized that I play like ass no matter what headphones I use, lol.

My quality of life improved once I stopped caring about KDR in BF4.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Come to think of it, I feel like laughing at guys who go like "$1000 on headphones? You could've bought a gaming rig for that amount of cash! You wasted your money" but fail to realize that after 5 years, at best, its going to crawl and maybe die out while a pair of headphones could still be running like an AK-47... You'd have to run it over with a tank at some point to get it to stop working. Yeah, headphones are future proof or atleast last much longer than gaming rigs. Thats why I don't mind the price tag of a fair lot of headphones provided they do justify their pricetag. I mean, my HD600 could last 10 years more, and I still see a fair lot of HD580's still being used.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Come to think of it, I feel like laughing at guys who go like "$1000 on headphones? You could've bought a gaming rig for that amount of cash! You wasted your money" 

To which perhaps I should respond with: "I can afford both. Can you?"  :)

To which perhaps I should respond with: "I can afford both. Can you?"  :)

I tried that... I got banned from a forum because of a salty mod. The topic was "Why buy expensive headphones when you can use the money for gaming rigs?" and stuff. Mind you, that was around 3 years ago in which sound whoring was pretty much the key to win a fair lot of FPS competition.

But meh... I kinda never liked CS:GO. I thought of it as being way too serious for my taste. Plus... directional audio is a bit of an ass compared to Source and 1.6...

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

I tried that... I got banned from a forum because of a salty mod. The topic was "Why buy expensive headphones when you can use the money for gaming rigs?" and stuff. Mind you, that was around 3 years ago.

Which forum?

Which forum?

It was a forum in Garena in which it got taken down as a whole because Garena no longer supported CoD directly for matchmaking or basically no longer supported CoD as a whole.

SNIP)

Choice 4 currently and looking to choice 5 in the future

IMO Audio is just as important as GPU + Monitor - its the other part of the experience

For gaming there are 3 important parts.. what you see, what you hear, and how you control it - all are just as important as each other

For music and movies audio is the most important part IMO (movies visuals are important but sound is as important if not more)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I guess choice 5 for my home audio, but I won't spend the same $500 on something like IE80 for portable use.

Why is that? Also, IE80 is around $250 at this point... The only headphones whose price Sennheiser actually cares about are the HD800 (those damn things never go on sale!)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I would never spend more than $350 on headphones not including an amp+dac.
Although I may make an exception for the Audeze LCD2.

Why is that? Also, IE80 is around $250 at this point... The only headphones whose price Sennheiser actually cares about are the HD800 (those damn things never go on sale!)

Strangely enough, the price of the HD800 since its hit my country's audio market gets put on sale atleast once every two months hitting as low as USD$1000... Well, atleast in our grey market.

I realized that I play like ass no matter what headphones I use, lol.

My quality of life improved once I stopped caring about KDR in BF4.

But muh KDR!

I rage whenever my KD is below 4 on planetside 2