AMD FreeSync VS Nvidia G-Sync (Tom's Hardware)

Rekx

How it all began

Two years ago, I put together a quick little event in Bakersfield, CA to evaluate the effectiveness of AMD’s frame pacing driver (Radeon HD 7990 Vs. GeForce GTX 690: The Crowd Picks A Winner) from an experiential standpoint. We gleaned some interesting information, talked technology and drank some beer at a local brewery. It was an all-around great time. As AMD’s FreeSync introduction came and went, we collectively decided that something similar, but on a larger scale, would be the best way to compare both variable refresh capabilities.

Where it went down

We set up camp at Newegg's Hybrid Center in City of Industry, California to test FreeSync against G-Sync in a day-long experiment involving our readers.

Setup

The first step, taken months ago, was letting AMD and Nvidia know our intentions and securing their support. Both companies were quick to climb on board, putting the onus on us to create a comparison both sides would consider fair. The hardware had to be decided on first, of course. By the time we were ready to commit, AMD's 300 series had launched. So, Nvidia proposed using GeForce GTX 970 and pitting it against Radeon R9 390X. The GM204-based board could be overclocked to match Grenada XT’s performance, the company assured us. In retrospect, we should have countered that the R9 390 would be a more fitting match. But given the advantage it was being handed, AMD readily accepted that pairing.

Conclusion

are-you-a-fan_w_600.png              

We started down the path of comparing AMD’s FreeSync technology to Nvidia’s G-Sync in the hopes that a community-based, hands-on approach would provide additional insight or perhaps lead us to some unexpected conclusion. In some ways it has. But we naturally had some hypotheses going into our event, and those largely proved true, too. Let’s get the big question out of the way: what’s better, G-Sync or FreeSync? As both technologies stand right now, the G-Sync ecosystem is more mature.

From compatible graphics cards to G-Sync-capable displays and variable refresh ranges, Nvidia has the leg up. It also has an advantage when you drop below the variable refresh range. Our experiment never took us to that point, fortunately, so it didn't become an issue we needed to address in the analysis. Then again, you’ll also pay $150 more for the G-Sync monitor we tested today—a premium that exceeds what most of our respondents claimed they’d be willing to spend for the experience they ultimately preferred, and some of those folks even picked AMD’s less expensive hardware combination as their favorite.

I would recommend you to go read the article as a whole. There's a lot of details

News Source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-freesync-versus-nvidia-g-sync-reader-event,review-33278.html

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

idk about these results, they are interesting, but the sample size is quite small

Also found the "fanboy" pie to be revealing ( didn't realize there where so many self identified fanboys )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

So there is really no difference. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

So, conclusion is that most people liked Gsync more according to the article.

TBH, I'm more on the Nvidia side these days than AMD.

When comparing the two, the Green team offers a lot more in my opinion. Features like PhysX, Shield, streaming, Video encoding etc. give the edge to Nvidia in my opinion.

Yes AMD has Freesync, Mantle, Free games with high end cards but Nvidia also had alternatives for 2 of those and Mantle is a total flop.

Also AMD needs to start naming their products better. R7, R9, Fury it's kinda confusing. With their CPU/APU's it's totally confusing to me(maybe because as an enthousiast I want raw Intel power!).

Maybe someone can give me a reason to go for AMD, but right now I don't see a reason other than saving 10, maybe 20 bucks.

So there is really no difference. 

Well most people called g-sync notably better, but at the same time, the majority of people in the test also suggested they wouldn't be willing to pay the current premium for a competing monitor technology.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That is a great article. The sample size is not huge but it certainly provides a lot of information, and their testing procedure was probably about as fair as you could make it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

lol that specific FreeSync monitor only goes up to 90Hz (after which you get tearing or stutter/lag). The gsync monitor goes up to 144Hz (Yes... 54 more Hz...). They should have used TN panels because, clearly, the IPS FreeSync market isn't quite developed or finished.

It is important that FreeSync is currently quite limited with QHD IPS displays, but it doesn't compare the technologies fairly. They should do a survey to see how many people would rather have a variable display up to 90Hz compared to 144Hz. I'm fairly confident the numbers will be higher than 60%. (In fact, closer to 90%, if I had to guess). This means that FreeSync actually does much better than GSync considering it's handicap.

Also... Borderlands has PhysX, which makes Nvidia cards look better even on a 30Hz monitor.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

lol that specific FreeSync monitor only goes up to 90Hz (after which you get tearing or stutter/lag). The gsync monitor goes up to 144Hz (Yes... 54 more Hz...). They should have used TN panels because, clearly, the IPS FreeSync market isn't quite developed or finished.

It is important that FreeSync is currently quite limited with QHD IPS displays, but it doesn't compare the technologies fairly. They should do a survey to see how many people would rather have a variable display up to 90Hz compared to 144Hz. I'm fairly confident the numbers will be higher than 60%. (In fact, closer to 90%, if I had to guess). This means that FreeSync actually does much better than GSync considering it's handicap.

Also... Borderlands has PhysX, which makes Nvidia cards look better even on a 30Hz monitor.

Really? You should try much much harder to fanboy. All of those comments were addressed, and the two games that were way below that threshold level of fps for both of them the people STILL favored G-sync by significant margins.

In fact, I was shocked at how consistent the G-sync winning percentage was.

This was all blind testing, they didn't know what the monitor was or what fps was being displayed.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Did I read that correctly? They had different max refresh rate monitors compared to each other. If it is (its the morning I could have read it wrong) then it is just a test to see if people like more frames shown each second and not a test of the technology. Even if the FreeSync monitor had steadier delivery of frames I would naturally favor the one one spitting out more frames without realizing it

Did I read that correctly? They had different max refresh rate monitors compared to each other. If it is (its the morning I could have read it wrong) then it is just a test to see if people like more frames shown each second and not a test of the technology. Even if the FreeSync monitor had steadier delivery of frames I would naturally favor the one one spitting out more frames without realizing it

THEY SET THEM UP TO DELIVER THE SAME FPS OMFG PEOPLE READ! The only time they had different fps was with the unique case of Borderlands.

ALSO two of the games were well below the 60 fps mark at all times and were tested as such.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

THEY SET THEM UP TO DELIVER THE SAME FPS OMFG PEOPLE READ! The only time they had different fps was with the unique case of Borderlands.

ALSO two of the games were well below the 60 fps mark at all times and were tested as such.

Dude calm down pls. If you read my post you would know I just woke up and I am not fully functional. 

Even with the case of Borderlands? there should never be a case of Borderlands. It should be exactly equal with no "Unique Cases"

THEY SET THEM UP TO DELIVER THE SAME FPS OMFG PEOPLE READ!

Here is summary of the objections to this test:

•  
  • 30-144Hz vs 35-90Hz.
  • No mention of color calibration. Maybe Acer calibrates the monitors better than Asus. At the very most, Acer calibrates the monitors in such a way to make it look different and more vibrant, causing people to chose that monitor regardless of "flowing" image quality.
  • You should be changing your visual settings to place the frame rate in the middle of the supported frequencies. Basically they aren't testing GSync vs FreeSync as a whole, you are testing specific cases to see how GSync handles out-of-spec framerates vs FreeSync. As I've already mentioned in point number 1, time spent out-of-spec is extremely different. So, while it is important how the various technologies handle these somewhat inevitable situations, the results naturally are weighted towards the Acer montior. Note how Crysis and The Witcher are running at 40 FPS average and Borderlands is running at 140 FPS average.
  • Battlefield 4 is basically the only test that is left. They might have issues with a placebo effect. "Even when a respondent picked one technology over the other, it was mentioned that they were quite similar and free from tearing," then why didn't they pick "they were equal quality." "Nobody reported lower visual quality," lol, this is starting to look like a joke. For all I care, they chose the monitors that were taller every time.
  • In general, this article left out a lot of data. For instance, I want to know how many people who chose FreeSync would have payed for for the experience. They only showed how many GSync prefer'ers would be willing to pay more, leading the reader to favor GSync more.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Did they have the same FPS or same visual fidelity?

My end point still stands: they should have used TN panels.

Also, did they calibrate the displays color reproduction?

Yes, yes, and yes.

And they even comment on TN vs IPS in the article. Both Nvidia and AMD wanted IPS.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Yes, yes, and yes.

And they even comment on TN vs IPS in the article. Both Nvidia and AMD wanted IPS.

one set of systems would run AMD and Nvidia at the Ultra preset I originally intended, while another set pitted AMD at its Ultra preset and Nvidia at High.

How about that mini-experiment we did with Battlefield 4, running two workstations in the same sub-90 FPS range and two at different settings, keeping FreeSync at its target performance level with higher quality as Nvidia dropped to the High preset for faster frame rates?

Not same settings. Going through this again now that I have woken up I have noticed there were a bunch of little compromises that makes the validity iffy for me.

I think messing with the clock rate of the cards to get the same performance at the same settings per game is a better solution than changing the settings which impacts the load required to produce each frame and the timing

I was actually at that event lol and was the person that noticed that one machine ran much hotter than the other.

Edit: there seems to be a lot of assumptions made. Both AMD and nVidia had representatives at the event (AMD even had project quantum there with an unreleased furyx2 card in it). Both representatives were present during the testing to make sure everything was running fine. As stated in the article, they agreed to the graphic settings and hardware used. No one knew what graphics card was in each system (all we knew was that one had an amd card and one had an nVidia card). All the testers were being watched and they did a good job to prevent people from finding out which system was running what. However, I was able to notice a significant difference in heat that I shared with the people that I met. Most, if not all didn't notice the heat (probably because most people wore jeans and I wore shorts plus it was raining that day). I was bummed that I didn't win any prizes because we were told that there would be a drawing at the end of the event that you didn't need to be present for. That wasn't the case.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I updated my post. They need more control testing to have a better understanding of what is contributing to people choosing Nvidia (especially when they would choose Nvidia @ High settings vs AMD @ Ultra settings).

So, conclusion is that most people liked Gsync more according to the article.

TBH, I'm more on the Nvidia side these days than AMD.

When comparing the two, the Green team offers a lot more in my opinion. Features like PhysX, Shield, streaming, Video encoding etc. give the edge to Nvidia in my opinion.

Yes AMD has Freesync, Mantle, Free games with high end cards but Nvidia also had alternatives for 2 of those and Mantle is a total flop.

Also AMD needs to start naming their products better. R7, R9, Fury it's kinda confusing. With their CPU/APU's it's totally confusing to me(maybe because as an enthousiast I want raw Intel power!).

Maybe someone can give me a reason to go for AMD, but right now I don't see a reason other than saving 10, maybe 20 bucks.

So the "features" offered

1) PhysX for the most part has made games a lot worst due to it and generally does not matter at all in the end, performance wise

2) The shield's selling feature is now widely available with steam anyway as well as a variety of other in home streaming options

3) Streaming and Video encoding GPU based is available on AMD cards as well via VCE

4) The reverse is true: AMD quickly gave up on Mantle and just washed it's hands off it so now the advantages will be there for all whenever it is Vulkan or DX12

So really, it does come down to what flavor of fancier VSYNC you prefer right now because we're just 1 monitor away (one that's gsync and freesnyc) from utter and complete irrelevance when it comes to the "features" both companies try to push but are for the most part just fucking marketing bullshit, again on both sides.

Don't believe Gameworks this, Mantle that: just go for whatever performs better at the price point you want, that's the only thing that matters in the end.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well most people called g-sync notably better, but at the same time, the majority of people in the test also suggested they wouldn't be willing to pay the current premium for a competing monitor technology.

I just got my G-sync monitor two days ago. It's the predator 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync. It's very nice and G-Sync is definitely worth it. The price is high but there is no reason to upgrade a monitor and to not get G-sync you would be stupid to not get one.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I just got my G-sync monitor two days ago. It's the predator 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync. It's very nice and G-Sync is definitely worth it. The price is high but there is no reason to upgrade a monitor and to not get G-sync you would be stupid to not get one.

I was just writing what the article said. Note that they were not told what the price difference was before being asked how much they would be willing to pay for it.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

For gaming enthusiast like myself. Freesynce and gsync is an added bonus for hardware demanding games not yet to be released. I own a Amd fury-x with a Asus mg279q. I play all my games with freesync off at 1440p at 144hz and never see tearing with modern games. Also I didn't buy the Asus mq279q because it was freesync, I got this monitor because it was an ips panel with refresh rate of 144hz and under 5 ms gtg time. When I purchased my monitor those specs did existence. The only thing missing is better color reproduction of a 10bit panel. 

Corrtection: The acer monitor was not in stock at the time i purchased my asus monitor  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

See? Game Developers Do You See? You make games that use 5-6 GB RAM and like 3-4 GB VRAM on ULTRA settings at 1080p, 1440p and there is no visual difference between ULTRA and HIGH settings w/o AA :D

I believe there is big difference in RAM and VRAM consumption between ULTRA and HIGH settings w/o AA. In modern games it must be like 1-1,5 GB RAM and 1-1,2 VRAM. Also some of them are playing 10+ hours in week and even they did not notice this. So please do not waste our RAM and VRAM, also our money we are paying for that extra RAM and VRAM :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

While the Acer Predator is a very nice monitor, your "conclusion" is quite biased.

There's one very strong reason to consider not getting a G-Sync monitor: Vendor lock-in.

Sure, it might be a good deal now. But once you buy that G-Sync monitor, you won't even consider an AMD GPU for your next upgrade. I see it all the time here in the forums. A new post "Please recommend a new GPU for me - I have G-Sync so don't bother recommending AMD". It happens all the time.

And sure, NVIDIA might have the overall stronger lineup right now, but what about next gen, or the gen after that? or that? Most people keep their monitors for 5 to 10 years, if not longer. The monitor is probably the single piece of tech in your build that you will keep the longest.

So when you say "You'd be stupid not to [buy G-Sync]", I heartily disagree. There are plenty of reasons. The biggest one, I've described above in detail. I personally don't want to be locked into a GPU Vendor. I don't want to HAVE to buy an NVIDIA GPU simply because of the Monitor I chose. I want to choose an NVIDIA GPU because they offer the best features and performance for my given budget. I want to HAVE the ability to choose AMD or NVIDIA, and get whichever happens to be the best and most appealing of that generation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

While the Acer Predator is a very nice monitor, your "conclusion" is quite biased.

There's one very strong reason to consider not getting a G-Sync monitor: Vendor lock-in.

Sure, it might be a good deal now. But once you buy that G-Sync monitor, you won't even consider an AMD GPU for your next upgrade. I see it all the time here in the forums. A new post "Please recommend a new GPU for me - I have G-Sync so don't bother recommending AMD". It happens all the time.

And sure, NVIDIA might have the overall stronger lineup right now, but what about next gen, or the gen after that? or that? Most people keep their monitors for 5 to 10 years, if not longer. The monitor is probably the single piece of tech in your build that you will keep the longest.

So when you say "You'd be stupid not to [buy G-Sync]", I heartily disagree. There are plenty of reasons. The biggest one, I've described above in detail. I personally don't want to be locked into a GPU Vendor. I don't want to HAVE to buy an NVIDIA GPU simply because of the Monitor I chose. I want to choose an NVIDIA GPU because they offer the best features and performance for my given budget. I want to HAVE the ability to choose AMD or NVIDIA, and get whichever happens to be the best and most appealing of that generation.

The opposite is EXACTLY TRUE.

If you HAVE A FREESYNC CAPABLE MONITOR YOU CANT MAGICALLY GET G-sync so if you WANT TO KEEP FREESYNC THEN YOU HAVE TO BUY AMD.

Don't pretend this isn't a two way street.

You can use g-sync monitors without nvidia gpu's. G-sync won't be an option anymore though.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS