[Guide]Overclocking Monitor w/ Intel HD Graphics

Recently I had an issue where I was unable to bring out more than 60hz to my BenQ XL2411Z (HDMI). I have solved the problem and managed to get​ 73hz on the monitor. I would like to give an answer as a guide to people yet to solve this problem or do not know how to.

PREREQUISITES

A monitor capable of more than 60hz.

A HDMI/DVI link from the computer to the monitor.

(NOTE)

If you want 120hz out of your pc, you need a graphics card with HDMI 1.4b and above.

GTX 860m and above is compatible.

------------------------

A computer with Intel HD Graphics running Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. (below)

f0i7tmF.png

STEP 1

Make sure the display name of your monitor corresponds to which port it is plugged in to.

For example, if you plug in to HDMI then this will appear.

9GqLeTq.png

If you are plugging in DVI, (Digital) should appear instead.

If you wanted to overclock HDMI rather than DVI or the other way round, check your wire connections as well as the wire used.

HDMI has no visible pins while DVI has many pins sticking out of it.

HDMI_vs_DisplayPort_vs_DVI_vs_VGA.jpg

Top left (VGA), Bottom left (HDMI) and right side is (DVI - Dual Link)

STEP 2

Open up Intel HD Graphics Control Panel by right clicking your desktop, then select graphics properties.

Select DISPLAY. Then CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS. Click Yes.

ON THE LEFT SIDE of the control panel, select the monitor in which you want to change the refresh rate of.

A vast amount of configuration settings should appear and this is where you key in your settings to change the refresh rate.

STEP 3 - Keying in the Values

sn8nC3U.png

Key in the resolution you want your monitor to display, in my case i wanted 1920 by 1080. You can customize however you like here.

Next would be the refresh rate, i suggest starting from increments of 5 hz till you reach 70hz and adding 1hz from 70hz onwards. (HDMI)  increment from 120hz if you are using DVI.

To add this range of values, you have to add multiple custom resolutions, which means you have to enter the custom resolution section multiple times.

In my case i ended up at 73hz,

STEP 4 - TESTING THE OUTPUT 

On the left, click on general settings, select the monitor you want to overclock. 

Click on refresh rate drop down menu and you should see all the refresh rates you have keyed in from before.

YkjTu4m.png

Staring from the lowest refresh rate you have inputed, one by one apply the settings while increasing the refresh rates. If you screen blanks out more than 5 seconds and you are not able to change the refresh  rate, you have found your maximum refresh rate.

In my case my screen blanked out at 74hz. Which meant that my maximum refresh rate for my monitor was 73hz.

I believe that if connected the HDMI to a DVI-DL adapter, you are able to get more than 120hz from the monitor.

AND YES,

you have successfully overclocked the monitor.

Go to http://testufo.com/#test=framerates to verify your new refresh rate!

Nice guide. Really well layed out and clear to read. Well Done!

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

• 2 weeks later...

Will try this when I get home!
Here's hoping I can get my awful 4k 30hz monitor up to something more reasonable

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Will try this when I get home!

Here's hoping I can get my awful 4k 30hz monitor up to something more reasonable

Do keep me updated, I have always wanted to know if you could just overclock it to 60Hz lol

-nvm.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

.... or you can just use CRU it works with pretty much everything

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

• 3 weeks later...

.... or you can just use CRU it works with pretty much everything

CRU does not work with intel graphics

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

CRU does not work with intel graphics

you learn something new every day.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

• 1 year later...

The refresh rates that i keyed did'nt show up. What should i do?

I'm using a laptop with a seperate monitor.

• 10 months later...
On 11/19/2016 at 5:26 AM, AJJavelosa said:

The refresh rates that i keyed did'nt show up. What should i do?

I'm using a laptop with a seperate monitor.

Same. Make sure you select your display, not the "Built-in display"

image.thumb.png.40f7ae4936c05b28a514e92cd2caf693.png

Really well written guide well done

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

• 2 months later...

I am trying to add refresh rates to the built-in monitor of my laptop.

With CRU I added 1920x1080 at 40-120 Hz

The problem is that only refresh rates from 40 to 100 Hz are displayed.

Also, if I try to add a custom resolution from the intel panel it always says it exceeds maximum bandwidth even if I put 1920x1080 @ 65 or 55 Hz..

And yes, my monitor supports them.

And yes I updated the inf and forced the edid.

I think this is a stupid limit/bug in the drivers or somewhere in windows.

Anyone with a solution to this?

intel.png

Wow update nearly 1 1/2 years later and this guide still is useful to some.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:57 PM, Zibri said:

I am trying to add refresh rates to the built-in monitor of my laptop.

With CRU I added 1920x1080 at 40-120 Hz

The problem is that only refresh rates from 40 to 100 Hz are displayed.

Also, if I try to add a custom resolution from the intel panel it always says it exceeds maximum bandwidth even if I put 1920x1080 @ 65 or 55 Hz..

And yes, my monitor supports them.

And yes I updated the inf and forced the edid.

I think this is a stupid limit/bug in the drivers or somewhere in windows.

Anyone with a solution to this?

intel.png

As for what i understand, laptop monitors don't usually allow you to overclock them. The guide was written for the purpose of overclocking external monitors in mind. 

It seems that your monitor only supports up to 100 hz 1080p and is pretty much locked in at that point.

Im afraid to say so but it looks like 100hz is all you can get from the built in display.

• 11 months later...

Yo tengo un pc all in one de samsung y le estoy intentando overclockear las tasas de actualización y si me deja hasta 80hz pero en 1920x1080 pero cuando quiero hacer lo mismo con otra resolución si me deja pero salen bordes negros a los lados, alguna solución por favor?.

• 5 months later...
On 8/13/2015 at 5:21 PM, Xenift said:

Recently I had an issue where I was unable to bring out more than 60hz to my BenQ XL2411Z (HDMI). I have solved the problem and managed to get 73hz on the monitor. I would like to give an answer as a guide to people yet to solve this problem or do not know how to.

PREREQUISITES

A monitor capable of more than 60hz.

A HDMI/DVI link from the computer to the monitor.

(NOTE)

If you want 120hz out of your pc, you need a graphics card with HDMI 1.4b and above.

GTX 860m and above is compatible.

------------------------

A computer with Intel HD Graphics running Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. (below)

f0i7tmF.png

STEP 1

Make sure the display name of your monitor corresponds to which port it is plugged in to.

For example, if you plug in to HDMI then this will appear.

9GqLeTq.png

If you are plugging in DVI, (Digital) should appear instead.

If you wanted to overclock HDMI rather than DVI or the other way round, check your wire connections as well as the wire used.

HDMI has no visible pins while DVI has many pins sticking out of it.

HDMI_vs_DisplayPort_vs_DVI_vs_VGA.jpg

Top left (VGA), Bottom left (HDMI) and right side is (DVI - Dual Link)

STEP 2

Open up Intel HD Graphics Control Panel by right clicking your desktop, then select graphics properties.

Select DISPLAY. Then CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS. Click Yes.

ON THE LEFT SIDE of the control panel, select the monitor in which you want to change the refresh rate of.

A vast amount of configuration settings should appear and this is where you key in your settings to change the refresh rate.

STEP 3 - Keying in the Values

sn8nC3U.png

Key in the resolution you want your monitor to display, in my case i wanted 1920 by 1080. You can customize however you like here.

Next would be the refresh rate, i suggest starting from increments of 5 hz till you reach 70hz and adding 1hz from 70hz onwards. (HDMI)  increment from 120hz if you are using DVI.

To add this range of values, you have to add multiple custom resolutions, which means you have to enter the custom resolution section multiple times.

In my case i ended up at 73hz,

STEP 4 - TESTING THE OUTPUT 

On the left, click on general settings, select the monitor you want to overclock. 

Click on refresh rate drop down menu and you should see all the refresh rates you have keyed in from before.

YkjTu4m.png

Staring from the lowest refresh rate you have inputed, one by one apply the settings while increasing the refresh rates. If you screen blanks out more than 5 seconds and you are not able to change the refresh  rate, you have found your maximum refresh rate.

In my case my screen blanked out at 74hz. Which meant that my maximum refresh rate for my monitor was 73hz.

I believe that if connected the HDMI to a DVI-DL adapter, you are able to get more than 120hz from the monitor.

AND YES,

you have successfully overclocked the monitor.

Go to http://testufo.com/#test=framerates to verify your new refresh rate!

Can u solve my problem please? 

Capture.PNG